New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    After much trial and error with the Vortex ECU, I had my stock ECU reprogrammed, set to Map 3, G2 throttle cam, FMF can, and foam filters. My bike was way too snatchy off idle and poor gas mileage. It now has great power, gets 47mpg, no off idle snatch and no stalling.
  2. Aaron from Texas

Aaron from Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What map and throttle setting are you using?
  3. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    I can't answer all of your questions, and I've only got about 1k miles on my 2013, but for what it's worth..
    I have the UNI and Wings on mine. I've never changed map settings, nor re-mapped it. It has never stalled, and it tractors away from a stop with so little throttle, that you're almost convinced you don't need to add any. Might have to change map settings just to see what they do, but I've felt no need to do it.

I've done nothing about the tank bolts..yet. It's all still tight. I'm just watching that for now.

The bike has taken 2 naps so far. One was a drop in a water crossing where I was going fast enough that I slid out of the water before coming to a stop. Bent the brake arm into the clutch cover enough to make it weep oil, but it never touched the rad or the shrouds. Re-bent the brake lever back to stock position, and for some reason it didn't break. I've got a cleanspeed sitting here to put on it, just haven't had time yet. It got blown over while parked in Oklahoma-yes it is very windy there sometimes, and no damage at all that time. I have since installed Rally-Raid rad protection kit and screen. Was figuring my luck might run out. The fan housing appears to be different than some earlier years bikes I've seen. Have not seen any problems with the fan trying to cut into the rad, and my fan runs a lot as I've installed a lower temp switch in the rad.

Time to put some more miles on her...
  4. 690moto

690moto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just want a bike for exploring, I don't need all 65hp when offroad. Although in the mellow mode its almost impossible to loft the front wheel over a log or obstacle. The throttle was too jerky in the other modes but I could have lived with that. I couldn't deal with it stalling at the very instant I needed to get on the gas to get out of trouble.
    There seemed to be a lot of potential to this bike but out of the box it falls a little short. I was hoping that in its 5th year its evolved into a ready to roll perfect dualsport.
  5. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you get the Wings exhaust in the USA?
  6. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I recomend a Husaberg 570
  7. 690moto

690moto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats your take on the 501? I was at the dealer yesterday and the 570 isn't listed in the brochure for 2013.
    I'd be concerned about how that plastic subframe would hold up after landing sideways on a stump.
  8. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    You mean a KTM 500?

Husaberg is just a blue KTM now.
  9. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Two things KTM corporate doesn't do that I really wish they would and think it would be helpful over here is:
    1. Admit when there is a problem/mistake.
    2. Tell us when/how they've addressed it.

Obviously if you never do #1 it makes no sense to do #2. And of course I understand them not being willing to admit there is a problem until after they've come up with a solution. Someone else on this thread said it was typical Austrian/Engineer mentality to never admit to making a mistake but to work like heck behind the scenes to fix it but even then not to mention it.

Bottom line we all know the fuel injection has had (and maybe still has? who knows) some reliability issues. I'd respect them owning it and telling us what they are doing.
    Back when the 690's were running the Dakar it was a pretty tell tale sign they hadn't fixed it yet when all of the big boys were running retrofitted carbs. Did they fix it yet? "Sure... it's just Coma and Depres are superstitious about the whole FI thing..." :lol3
  10. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    He meant Husaberg 70 degree not built anymore. I.e. second hand ...

But there's issues doing so. First, the purge hole that's supposed to be under becomes on top. So mud goes in with no way to go out.

Second, there are small felts inside the throttle tube assembly, that wipers the throttle cable. Will soon or later be swallowed by the throttle cable toward the throttle body down under. It could even jam the throttle cable.

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr
  11. Canadian_Bacon

Canadian_Bacon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But there's issues doing so. First, the purge hole that's supposed to be under becomes on top. So mud goes in with no way to go out.

Second, there are small felts inside the throttle tube assembly, that wipers the throttle cable. Will soon or later be swallowed by the throttle cable toward the throttle body down under. It could even jam the throttle cable.

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr[/QUOTE]

Awesome thx a ton for the heads up!
  12. Christophe

Christophe weekend warrior

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011, I rode the first 1000 stock, then I switch to the akra exhaust and matched map and the foam air filter, and you're right, it makes a big difference in low end smoothness. I can ride it on the standard setting offroad when I am feeling more agressive, with no stalling issues, or back to the easy setting for slippery situations (I installed a switch on the handlebar). Love the bike, even if it threw me off once too often (finished that ride in an ambulance), but I am riding it again now.
  13. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Just order it direct off the Wings website from Gorazd. It was an easy straight forward transaction.
  14. Canadian_Bacon

Oddometer:

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr[/QUOTE]

Okay have to admit I'm not entirely sure by what you meant by purging the hole and the wipers the throttle cable bit. Free feel to PM with more specifics so not to chew up the thread. Or if anyone can clarify quickly please feel free. ;)
  15. Canadian_Bacon

Oddometer:

Great glad to hear the mods make for a better beast offroad! Sorry to hear that you got injured though. But glad to hear that your riding again.
  16. Seth S

Oddometer:
    Pulled the engine out of the bike yesterday and pulled off the cylinder head. Now I just need to order some gaskets. The piston and valves had a little carbon buildup and sludge but no signs of pitting or detonation. The cylinder walls are scuff free and I can still see the factory cross hatching...all a good sign. I didn't see any signs of cracking along the cylinder walls so i am hoping the head gasket was the failure point. The head gasket being made of steel with a rubber upper and lower coating...was hard to find an intrusion point. I will probably through the head on a flat plate to be sure it is straight.

Luckily it was a nice day outside as I currently have no indoor space to work in. Hardest part about this job is keeping the chickens out of the tools :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    How many miles does your engine have Seth?
    How did the rocker arm bearings look? I heard those crap out after awhile.
    If higher miles, are you going to re-ring and/or install a new piston?
    Thanks for putting up wit hmy questions, my engine is now over 20K and after this season I'm probably going to tear into it and replace parts as needed. I'm sure with the airbox not sealing well my enginge sucked some dirt before I bought my bike and fixed the problem, thus wearing the rings at the least.
  18. Seth S

Oddometer:
    My engine has about 10,000 miles on it and most of that has been trail riding or some form of racing. The engine has spent a fair amount of time tapped out in 6th gear. The rocker shafts looked clean and unmarred as did the rollers. I will look closer and can take some photos but I didn't see anything concerning when I pulled them out.
  19. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a Light Sussex in the last pic. Used to have these ourselves long ago.
  20. Seth S

Oddometer:
    Staying at my parents place due to a fall out on a house purchase. They currently have 36 chickens, 10 ducks, and 2 geese. They have several different kinds of chickens including a Bantam rooster and 2 Bantam hens. We get about 10 to 20 eggs a day from the chickens...we also get duck and goose eggs.