Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Guzz

Guzz Gutless wonder

Oddometer:
    To be honest, the hull was the easiest thing. Once I got how to make consistent strips, laying them up was really a no brainier. I didn't use CA, so that just added some extra build time, but actually made it easier to do. Since I had some time to make sure things lined up properly.

I'm contemplating making another one. :wink:
  2. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    Fixed for my outlook.

You can't hardly sell a nitro model these days, ya almost have to give them away.
  3. nadams

nadams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good news - got the new motor in. Bad news - it doesn't work, either. Guess i need to be looking at the esc next.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  4. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see this as two sides to the coin, I did that, took all winter and then some to stick build a plane, but with the new stuff I agree it is so easy to get in the air.

Some people like to build, some people like to fly some want to do both, and others want small bits of "building".

Myself I am in the stage that I like to fly....I don't want to build a large RC model anymore. If I get the craving to go back to balsa I will build a guillows model or something, and those are a challange. But for flying I fly mostly foam anymore....I don't crash much anymore but I just like the ease of it. I have a few balsa models, eflight stuff but I don't think I have any of my stick built models anymore....they were all slimers and I sold them off YEARS ago, before electric got as popular as it is now...nicads and brushed motors and such. First real foam plane was an old Terry...I started with a GWS tiger moth...that was a cool little electric plane.
    [​IMG]
    and I really liked that plane, finally bought a radian and caught my first thermal this weekend in years, the plane was a speck in the sky in nothing flat....

I know what you are talking about, and those are the guys that you can buy their radio from for nothing in 3 months....they are also the ones that want to start off with a spitfire.

Anymore I don't count against anyone no matter what they fly or drive as long as they are not a large type ass then all is ok....I really don't have to worry much about it anymore as I fly in my front yard....pleasure of living in the country with pasture all around you.

A few people here where I work want to take up flying, but seem put off that they cant start out with something cool like an EDF F-100 fly fly model...I tell them well you can start with that but you will finish about 10 sec after you start. I always try to talk them into something like an easy* or clone of it...not near as cool, even if you try to sell it as a camera plane.
  5. nadams

nadams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my motor/esc situation figured out... Was a real RTFM moment... haven't had one of those in a while :baldy

Turns out, the receiver plug labeled Batt/CH5 is not the correct place to plug the ESC in... The correct place would be CH2, which is right next to the two plugs marked CH1, which are for the steering servos. CH3 and 4 are marked as not used in the manual, and Batt/CH5 is in case you're running an ESC without a built-in BEC.

Oops.
  6. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:

Yup that will do it :) Glad you got it figured out tho and are back to running :clap
  7. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Beautiful sailboat Guzz! :thumb
  8. Saget

Saget Not quite a full house

Oddometer:
    Here's a screen grab of a friend's house I shot the other day, using the tricopter I posted a few pages back.

[​IMG]

Lots of friends have said, "Wow, that's really cool! I bet people would pay for that!"

Sorry if this is 205, but...

It got me to thinking and searching on the web, without a whole lot of luck. It seems the FAA has no problem with hobbyists doing this sort of thing, but wants to get involved whenever money changes hands. Now I can see them wanting to regulate UAV's the size of a Cessna (or larger) operating from airports and using the same airspace as commercial flights. But an R/C toy hovering at most 100 feet off the ground in front of a house?

I can understand that there must be guidelines for safety and privacy. I get that. But I don't think requiring a commercial pilot's license to fly an R/C heli is the right answer.

Is anyone out there doing R/C aerial photography for hire? What kind of help or hindrance have you found with the FAA or local authorities? What kind of permits or insurance do you need?
  9. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Nice place and nice phot, Saget. Is that a tree farm? Does the shop belong to him or the farm? Or is everything his?

I can't say personally, but a friend of mine who works at the LHS started doing part-time quadcopter flying with a video and FLIR camera for a local fire investigation service. I'll see if I can dig up the news clip.

I can ask him next time I see him.

In other news, I hope to be getting one of these next. 48.8" span :evil

[​IMG]
  10. Saget

Oddometer:

Thanks, I'd appreciate whatever info you can dig up.

The home & shop you see in the photo belongs to the friend, as do all the surrounding crops. Those are all hops. If you've ever partaken of an Anhueser-Busch product, you've probably enjoyed the fruits of his labor!
  11. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I sure haven't. Never liked the taste of beer :huh But hops makes sense! That's cool, I guess I didn't look very close! How many acres is that?

I can't find the video but I'll be sure to get some info from him next time I am at the hobby shop.
  12. Saget

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'd like to see that if you can find it.

I don't know how many acres the friend has. LOTS. Probably several thousand altogether. I do know a neighbor of his has something like 20,000! Nearly all of it becomes Budweiser.
  13. AerialCameras

AerialCameras Awkward Boner

Oddometer:
    The privacy issue is simple. If a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy, you are not allowed to make an image, transmit, or distribute it of whatever object or activity they deem private. Meaning if some gal is sunbathing nekid in her back yard with high fences, you can't peep in with your copter. Now if same woman is on a golf course, by all means take a pic and link it.

As for the FAA, they're worried about more than your r/c aircraft running into another aircraft. If you lose control or communication with your aircraft , how will the aircraft be recovered and how will the loss of control affect the safety of people on the ground? In a nutshell, does your aircraft have an autonmous system that alllows it to land safely without causing injury or property damage? If your aircraft can pose a risk to people or property, then the FAA has a valid concern. Mostly they're looking at weight, operating altitude, and operating area. This is where liability insurance comes up and licensing can make sense. If you're flying over an unpopulated corn field no one is going to stress. On the other hand If your buzzing over the high school football game and the batteries in your transmitter go dead or your aircraft dumps an engine, then be ready to answer some questions. How they evolve to deal with all the new kids hoping to get a gov contract is anybody's guess. But there's good reasons most of the big players are out in the deserts for r&d. My opinion would be to not fly over populations without consent and liability insurance.
    In my world with a real helicopter, whoever the production company is that hires us is required to add us to their production insurance usually anywhere from $10-15 million. Then there are film permits but that's another can of worms and probably won't apply to someone doing real estate or corporate video.

In a previous life pre Sept. 11, I dealt successfully with the FAA flying high altitude aerostats over populations. All you need to do is answer their "what if" questions and notify them of your intentions and you'll find they aren't so bad. I was required to gain clearance if I intended to operate within five miles of a controlled airspace. Outside five miles I just had to notify of intend operations. Basically that meant my letter to the local ATC would be either, "I would like your permission to operate in this area or, I am operating in this area."

I can't speak for r/c planes or copters, but for our aerostat applications, anything over 150 feet is where the FAA got involved, and we typically operated at 500 to 1500 and carried about one hundred pounds of camera. Check out FARs part 101 regarding balloons, kites and rockets. It will give you an idea of where they're coming from.

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_101.html
  14. Saget

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to write that, it's very informative. I think we're talking apples & oranges here, but it's still great info. You bring up some excellent points, especially with regard to safety.

I can understand why you would need millions of dollars worth of insurance to operate a full-scale heli over a populated area. Makes perfect sense considering the potential for damage or even loss of life should something go wrong. Likewise, I can see why the FAA would need to know when you have a large balloon with 100 lbs. of camera gear tethered to 1500 feet of cable. You've clearly entered controlled airspace, and that much weight falling from the sky could do considerable damage.

The difference here is that my heli is under 3 lbs including camera, and can only go maybe 30 mph. The damage potential isn't much more than perhaps a broken window. I'd be flying well below controlled airspace, so the odds of encountering other air traffic are very low.

The best info I've found so far comes directly from the FAA: http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/

If I'm reading it right, they're not concerned with recreational use of unmanned systems, which is what I've been doing. But for commercial use they would require an Experimental Aircraft Certificate AND the operator has to be a licensed pilot.

Seriously??? Although not current, I'm a private pilot so that part doesn't bug me too much. But an experimental airworthiness certificate for my battery powered toy helicopter? The same as for a Lancair or Kitfox or any other homebuilt airplane meant to carry real live people on board? Just so I can ask $50 for taking photos of someone's house? Seems like waaaay overkill. There must be some kind of in-between.

I know there are people out there doing it, I just don't know how they're doing it LEGALLY. Maybe they're not.
  15. Saget

Oddometer:
    Sweet looking Sbach. Looks like it even has an airfoil to the wing instead of a flat plank. Where's that one come from???
  16. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The other area the goverment is having issues with is this first person flying, and VHF radios that let you fly your plane 5 miles from where you are.

I think that this is where your RC toy stops being a toy and starts being a baby brother to a predator.

I also know there is some issues with some fast moving models, I am not sure where they are going to draw the line, but I have foam EDF planes that hit 70mph with ease.

I agree there is room for some worry here, but I am not sure what the answer is, but getting the goverments nose in the sale of every park zone corsair is going to KILL the entire hobby in the us.
  17. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
  18. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Saget

Oddometer:
    Never heard of it, thanks!!!
  20. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy is finally on the way from HobbyKing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcPUtRjVOE&feature=relmfu

I have been looking for another plane along the lines of my original GWS pico Tiger Moth and I think this little plane will fit the bill. A nice relaxing in close slow flyer....I think it will be great fun.