Enjoying the Moment...My Take on Riding Nor Cal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Desert Dave, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Donsesso

Donsesso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings Dave.. long time lurker and I finally got an adventure bike last July (GS LC). Rides and scenes that you posted are the exact reason I decided to leave the sportsbike world. Seems like I was always in a rush to get to the next road.

I currently live in the east SF bay area. And I'm plotting most of the roads and places you mentioned in your thread. Hoping I'll be able to visit all of them.

Great stuff. And thanks for doing this.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
  2. pockomoth

pockomoth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, amazing shot...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  3. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Had a chance to sift through some photos, so here'[s a few more of the ferocious bear :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for saying all the nice stuff people...now I really wish I had some more ride photos to post! :D But I don't at the moment.

What the heck, since this is turning into a photography thread as much as riding, I'll share a shot I took over Thanksgiving weekend that IMO tells a story. I've been dabbling in this type of photography and now and then one just works :lol3

This was a candid shot, I walked up from a river bank and saw these two enjoying the moment at sunset. So genuine.

[​IMG]

If this doesn't make you smile a little, you are way more hard core than I am :deal
  4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That bear is so cool. Bear are fun to watch.

The last picture made me smile big, what a cool shot.
  5. pockomoth

Oddometer:
    I've been right there, you can walk right up to the mountain and LEAN on it

6. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome pics.

keep up the good work!

thanks.
  7. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Wow! You make me miss Eastern California very much. Love the photos. Great work! Guess I need to revive my old site about SW Louisiana and how boring flat land is. LOL! Thanks for the work of sharing the beauty of California with us.
  8. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    How about an almost Yosemite ride?

With the recent cold snap leaving Yosemite with fresh snow and ice I figured I must have a look. The photos I posted here last December had me traveling icy roads in the valley, but the that just added to the adventure and made it more worthwhile. I thought this day would be about the same.

I should have known it would be different when I started to see cows grazing in fields at about 1000' with the north sides of the hill blanketed in snow. Every shadow had ice and I felt I had to be on my game some.
    Shortly out of Mariposa the road was like a Christmas postcard. Saw this and for some reason kept riding, thinking I needed to be somewhere, for some reason. A good mile later I did a u-turn and came back to enjoy the moment here.

[​IMG]

Glad I did. The road from there started getting sketchy. Riding the frost/ice covered road I wondered how I was making traction. Like any old racer when doubting the track sometimes a walk is in order. Getting off the bike my boots were slipping in the tire tracks I was just riding on. I knew it would be worse in the valley and that little voice told me I was maybe getting stupid. Maybe why I haven't seen another motorcycle for at least the last 50 miles. Could I have made it? I'd bet yes I would have, but it was sure sucking the fun out of the ride.

One door closes, another opens. This is not a problem in my world, I now have an excuse to explore the Merced River between El Portal and Briceburg more than I probably ever would have. I love winter riding, even when it changes my plans (like I had any)

[​IMG]

I've seen these cables across the river that locals use , never walked down to one to check it out before.

[​IMG]

The conditions gave such unique views that may have been otherwise overlooked. Coming in I wanted to stop here but "didn't have time". Now I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you tell where the shadows stay all day? What a contrast.

[​IMG]

Finally had to stop for some proof that I saw snow on Old Toll Rd, discussed earlier in this Ride Report. This is just over 1K ft. Seen plenty of ice out here but never snow. You guys?

[​IMG]

One of my favorite backroads in the area.
    Uke and Phipsd like this.
  9. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    I've got Nor-cal and you've got So- Cal covered pretty good, I'm sure we share a lot of ground as well:freaky

Thanks man. I think even flat land is interesting...you just have to look a little harder :lol3 I spend quite a bit of time here in the central valley doing just that. Love showing my neighbors a good shot of something I've discovered, and then watch the shocked look on their face when I tell them it's only 15 minutes away from our houses:deal
  10. Cdc28p

Cdc28p Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you again for sharing more amazing photos. Beautiful scenery, sexy bike, and top-notch photography skills.
  11. pockomoth

Oddometer:
    I look here to keep my riding juices flowing. You're the Paul Theroux of motorcycle travel. Thank you.

12. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Ever take Briceburg Rd up the hill? A little gnarly, once you get to the top you can follow the main forest road for two or three miles and see straight into the Yosemite Valley.

Spectacular photos. You are inspiring.
  13. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    You mean here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped somewhere up top there and got a really cool camping pic:

[​IMG]
  14. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    You got it. Awesome up there. I have a d/s route that takes me from Fish Creek on 41 all the way to the Strawberry Inn on 108 that includes that stretch.
  15. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    As long as I stay out of the photos myself the scenery is still beautiful and the bike sexy :deal

Great! First time I've been compared like that .... I'll take it :D

Yeah, the bridge, like everywhere in a shadow was a bit icy

[​IMG]

Used to ride that area a LOT, like Briceburg up to Dogtown, five corners, Trumball peak back when I had my KLR. I couldn't wait for it to get wet enough to turn the "roads" around it into somthing a bit more adventurous :lol3[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love these public "roads"

[​IMG]

To bad so many are being shut down left and right.

I still get out there some with the Tenere, but when there is less mud and snow :wink:
    Phipsd likes this.
  16. Desert Dave

Oddometer:

Yeah ya did! Very nice.
  17. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy

Oddometer:
    Love this shot! :clap

(The rest are very nice too!)
  18. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Right on man :thumb

I find one of the most interesting things about photography is different perceptions of the same thing. While I do like this photo, it was on my "B" list for the day, shots that I like but don't make the thread. There are a LOT like that. I only brought it up because the subject went there. Apparently you got more from this photo than I did, that's good to hear. Sometimes I think I have a winner and nobody gives it a second look :lol3 No right or wrong, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I spent a good hour or two under that bridge last week getting macro shots of ice crystals. Learned a lot, but not quite what I envisioned. the few people who passed always have a curious look when there's a motorcycle guy down by the river with his face inches away from the rocks :lol3
  19. prophog

prophog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a great area to ride a little muddy at times
    Anderson Flat little Nelly falls Trimble look out
  20. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love it :clap