DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. yuvalbo1

yuvalbo1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    spen, It's a big project, wish you luck man, the big 20 years ago looks great!!!
  2. yuvalbo1

yuvalbo1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is this Wonderful creation, More pictures soon please!
  3. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    I'm suprised the tank even came off with that amount of crap underneath!!!!
  4. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
    some more pics to make you feel as if your bike dosn"t need a wash :clap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
  6. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spen If you do the big to the same detail as the yamaha it will be worth it, I wonder is all that rust because of the salted roads or salt air its a BIG job :D
    Nice work on the 500 :clap .

Did I see the full f word on here :eek1 :huh wow .
  7. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
    Yeah i saw it to , i may say it now and again but i try not to use it in public or on a public forum .I"m not planning a full as new rebuild but rather a real good tidy up i spent alot of money on the 500 and then didn"t want to use it much and ended up selling it but i want to use the big next summer for a bit of touring.Any one with any ideas on engine paint or anything else will be much appreciated ,I always like to hear other opinions so if you"ve rebuilt one of these i"m open to suggestions.I did a tidy up on my XT550 a few years back more pics :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    This is the second time in 20 years I've restored my DR650. It still looks nice after all this time, but eventually, I want to strip it down, repaint the frame, maybe black, get an extra seat and black cover, black forkboots, paint the fender end black, and just go with a look that's more early 80's like the 1983 XT bikes were.

[​IMG]
  9. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
    Looks good
  10. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Spen I use VHT engine enamel from our local Repco car shop,I think its made in America the heat from the motor does the baking for you so it resists petrol when baked. it is fairly brittle and hard.
    I had a small ride on a honda dominator today it was like a bag of puss so I am glad I haven,t bought one for a resto even though they look good.
  11. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
    I"ve owned around 4 dominators not a bad bike ,Depends what your after .I was looking a paint to match the original Suzuki grey on the engine can"t see one anywhere .Does anybody sell a stainless engine bolt kit for these to replace the bolts on the side and crankcases?
  12. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    I got my SS bolt kit off ebay. I bought it about 6 years ago. The bummer is, now they have one with the case bolts, valve cover bolts, headers and more. Mine was just cases and filter at the time.

13. snocross

snocross carbikesledboatrockaholic

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys!!!!

I was a week ago 150 pages behind this thread. Right now just 100 pages :evil

It looks like you have had a busy half a year... well.... must continue reading!!!
  14. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to the retailer there SBG ? :deal I like your 650 too, very tidy, just a little bit underpowered :amazon :D

I put new clutch plates in, and gave the steel plates a good clean and a light rough up with some emery cloth...man, what a different bike :thumb I better go and :ricky it now
  15. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mark I looked at your pics in your album the 650 its a very nice bike the one you own, I allso own one with 45k on the clock and still going strong, I use as a nock arround bike in the scrub mainly as I have not done any paint work on it yet but keep it mechanically maintained.
    It could do with a spring upgrade as I see yours sits fairly high, I wreckon there a great bike .
  16. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    Here's the EBAY link for SS bolts for my bike, but they also have the newer 650 listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-DR650-1990-1993-polished-stainless-bolt-kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563fbe1e94QQitemZ370436611732QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Now, here is the dealers name on EBAY. They might be able to help you out: http://myworld.ebay.com/stainlesscycle/

Maybe one of the other kits might work, OR, let them know what bike it is, and maybe they could put one together for you. Sometimes, a place like this needs even one order to look into it, and once they do one kit, they list it. Just need to know if there's a market. Unfortunately, those BIG's never sold in the US.

As far as underpowered, I never noticed.:D
  17. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment, my DR thanx you too. :D

Funny you mention springs, I still have my spare set of NOS forks in pieces on my bench ready for the heavier rate springs and Racetech emulators. I'm surprised mine sits this high after 20 years. Then again, I finally just went over 8500 on my odo.

I'm probably going to send the shock out for some work this winter and get a heavier rate spring with that too.

I love this bike, even though the worn 606's make the front end handle odd. Replacements due before next riding season. I'm thinking Metzeler Saharas. I love leaning into corners probably a bit harder than an off road knobby is made for.

[​IMG]
  18. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    Just started reading through the BIG pages, and maybe someone answered, but I have the same rear fender as your front only in blue which is 2003 YZ era style rear fender. Looks decent on there.

19. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Yep, that'd be me, Ed.....but why do I want all this crap? Did you see something buried in there that I didn't?