Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Now that we've solved the chain adjustment mystery (again :baldy), how about a new old question?

What's the scoop on the DRC footpegs that Wheeling sells? Is the YZ/WR model the right one? And I'll need the YZ/WR springs? Is there still an issue with the right footpeg hitting the brake pedal when it folds? If so, are the IMS WRR pegs any better? I'm not spending over a $100 for footpegs, so don't suggest the Fastway or other $$$ pegs, please. I got some pegs off eBay for my KLX for under $20 and they were fantastic. Has anyone used the YZ/WR cheapies from eBay on a WRR with success?
  2. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    No idea about your other questions, but yes, you need a spring in addition to the peg. And yes, the DRCs that I have hit the brake pedal right at the bolt, but only after they've been folded way back. There's an obvious ding in the pedal from contact, but nothing that impairs functionality in any way. I've never worried about it.
  3. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought a set of DRC's off E-Bay. The stock springs will not work. Bought a couple springs from True Value, cut & bent them to work. Ground off some of the peg where it hits the brake pedal when fully folded. Great & cheap improvement over stock.
  4. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Are the DRCs any different than the no brand cast pegs? They sure look the same.
  5. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Another option (I went with) is to buy some used oem YZ pegs--starting in about 2005 or so they're titanium--they fit the WRR just fine, with a little grinding for added movement on the brake side. I found a set for about $35 on ebay.
  6. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    ???
  7. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
  8. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
  9. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, something's fishy, that's why I posted my original question. It seems that no one makes pegs that are made to fit the WRR. Even the DRCs on Wheeling's page are YZ/WRF pegs, that's why you need their springs, and that's why they hit the brake pedal when folded.

I'm not averse to spending $50 on the DRC pegs if they fit and are better than the no-brand ebay pegs, but my experience with DRC products is not good, and I would be very surprised if they are not just rebranding those same no-brand pegs. If that's the case, I'll go straight to the source and save $30.
  10. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Just looked at them both on E-Bay & they look different to me.
  11. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Can you post a picture of your DRC pegs? I think the picture in the eBay auction is generic, the seller uses the same pic for all his footpegs.
  12. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    They technically don't fit.
    They require modification to work properly so they can't really say fit the R/X.
    If they did, people would complain about the clearance issue and they would have to deal with returns, and pissed off customers and whatnot.
    Having to add an extra step to the MFG process would raise the price of the RX pegs and they wouldn't sell many because most people would just buy the cheaper YZ pegs and modify them themselves.
  13. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...speakin' of pegs, there's a guy in Europe that makes custom pegs to order
    if you're interested go here: http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t8177-footpegs-for-wr250r

I had him make a set I designed that I wanted an inch rearward and 1/2" lower because I always felt I was too far forward on the lil WR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Somewhere in this thread, it is listed what model years WR450 pegs fit. I got a set and they bolted right up. Certain years are expensive, since they are made of Ti.....mine are not. :deal
  15. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just cell phone pics, but you should get the general idea. Maybe if I get real ambitious one day, I'll take that peg off and grind a bit off the corner. More likely I'll just go out and ride it instead :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I believe DRC has an application chart for which part fits what bike. IIRC, all the Yamahas use the same DRC part number, with the exception that you need a spring for the WRR, as I noted above.
  17. oldtrucks

oldtrucks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rapid Dog I was following that but lost track when feedback and pricing was slow to materialize. He mentioned possible problems with your design at some point but didn't give much detail, looks like they work. Any problems with the way they work on the WR? I did a set similar on my DR, back and lower, love the idea for the WR.

........and how much?
  18. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Thanks, those do look a bit nicer than the no-brand pegs I've seen. Maybe I'll go with the 5mm lower pegs. That should help with clearance to the brake pedal when the peg folds.
  19. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Possibly. Mine are 'regular' height. Much improved platform over the OEM pegs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. adaycj

adaycj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, bigger and smaller sprockets use more or less chain plus hold it closer or further from the swing arm. That further negates the factory procedure since nearly every WRR eventually gets a sprocket size change. My gage system has to be adjusted both after a sprocket size change, and after a ride height change using the shock threaded clevis. The clevis changes the drop when the arm is all the way down.

Problem is my 180# ass won't quite level (parallel?) the swingarm. Nothing is simple when you have a machine that is sensitive to chain slack. :cry

At least these machines don't use the older style "snails'. On my KLX250s the increments were huge. Every chain I bought would wear to a point that was too loose, but tightening it up one indentation was too tight. Of course in 5 years of off road riding that machine never needed a slider. Go figure.