Garmin 2610 package reduced

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by dlrides, Jun 26, 2007.

1. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

I'm not finding it easily right now, but here's a guy who built his own:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/reviews/gps/index.html
  2. RAW

RAW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this!!

My mother has been wanting to get a GPS unit for her hubby for over a year now, but all of the good units have been too expensive.
    I called her and let her know about this deal.
    And then ordered it for her using her credit card!! :clap :clap
  3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Just make sure and follow up on the free City Navigator 2008 update thru Garmin,for them.
    Looks like you now get to be the family GPS Guru.
    Easiest thing would be to get the 2 Gb CF card and load the whole US.That way you/they won't have to be messing around loading maps frequently,but then you probably thought this thru already.

JR356
  4. RAW

RAW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I'm already tech support for any computer issues they encounter. :bluduh
    But it's all good. I figured the larger CF card would be an easy stocking-stuffer this Xmas. :wink:
  5. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    If you're a do it yourself-er, then this might give you a few ideas:

I have a camera tripod head mount, quick release, on my "dash". I'm trying to use the same quick release system for all my photography needs and tried this out for the 2610. This might be alright for pavement, but not off road ... so I tinkered on .......
    [​IMG]

Why spend more bucks on cables when you already have them? The speaker/pwr cord stays in the jeep unmodified, but the AC plug in the wall cord can be very versatile. One cable does it all..... and less to carry! Hardwired into the bike, external battery power for portable use, plug it into the AC, what more could you ask for?

[​IMG]

This is about as tough a mounting system as it can be for off road I'd gather. It's also lockable. It's also "quick release" for when it's time to go inside the house or into the jeep. I hadn't yet trying going over the bars with this yet but I'm guessing it will survive better than I will!
    [​IMG]

If you want more detailed photo documentation go here:
    http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/

I already had the green otterbox but I plan on spray painting it flat black. Otterbox also makes this box in black btw .....
  6. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did anyone else get a telemarketer call after ordering from EdgeGPS?

I recently made an order for the 2610--I also ordered a mount from Amazon, and a CF card from Buy.com. Today, I got a marketing call to my mobile phone wanting to sign me up for some crap, blah, blah. The caller introduced herself by saying, "You recently made a purchase from one of our marketing partners." I asked which, but she didn't have that information.

I've ordered from Amazon and Buy repeatedly in the past. This is my first purchase from Edge, and now a call. Ugh. I don't know it's from EdgeGPS, but it's the only recent purchase I've made.

I asked to take my name and number off the list. Hopefully the caller follows through.

Jamie
  7. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ordered from Edge a couple times and never got any marketing calls.
  8. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It surely isn't possible that the telemarketer was being less than truthful. :rofl

I've ordered from Edge several times with no problem however I am on the Do Not Call list and get almost zero telemarketing calls.
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Based on the responses here, it looks like Edge wasn't the culprit... Thanks.

Jamie
  10. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Got my 2610 today. Mixed impressions so far. Routes are limited to 50 points, which isn't such a big deal, but is a limitation my other units didn't have.

Waypoint management, like every Garmin I've had, is really basic. All the waypoints are thrown into a big pile. No folder or hierarchy system. Makes uploading route points a real pain when you have to delete them later. At least I can only do 50 at a time. :huh

No way to display sunrise and sunset times that I can see. If you go to Menu-->Options-->Time, it's displayed there, but I'd like to have it on a main page, like the trip data page, which doesn't seem to have customizable fields.

I like the big screen--not so keen on touchscreen. Already, I can see fingerprints and such on the screen. I'm not sure I'll like that. Going to see if I can figure out a way to mount the remote on my bike.

Route calculation is fast! Oh man... my biggest complaint about my previous GPS, this thing is 20x faster. Love that.

Is there any more recent firmware upgrades? I'm using 4.80. Garmin website doesn't show any firmware at all for this GPS.

So... I guess I can't beat it for $200. We'll see how I few in a few weeks after I've had a chance to test it a little more.

Jamie
  11. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:

Go to a office supply or big box electronics place and buy some screen protectors for a PDA,they will cover most/all your screen and prevent scratches,etc.Radio Shack has then too.

Don't forget to get the free Garmin CN 2008 update,details in other posts on this site.

Looks like you may have been one of the last for this deal,Edge no longer lists the 2610,or may just be out of stock.

JR356
  12. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I've got a ShieldZone screen protector on order. Good idea.

I've ordered the update already. Waiting.

Wow. I woulda slapped myself if I kept hesitating and then found out the deal was no longer available when I decided to get it!

Jamie
  13. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just called and confirmed that they are indeed out of stock and won't be getting anymore in.

Damn!
  14. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I've got an almost brand new 2610 for sale, $300. :D

Jamie
  15. RebelGSPD

RebelGSPD Never Say Die

Oddometer:
    I must have got one of the last ones. Ordered a couple days ago
    and its tracked on its way to Fl. A question. I'm going to hardwire
    it into the bike with a line from a accesory block anyone know what amp the inline fuse should be?
  16. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Temples of Syrinx (Treasure Valley Idaho)
    Yes, it's a 1 amp fuse. I bought the Garmin motorcycle hardwire kit from edge (have not found time to install yet). It has a 1 amp inline glass type fuse. I'm planning on replacing that with a much more durable 1 amp blade fuse. I'm thinking of just taping into the unused switched grip heater outlet on my wee strom with a 1 amp blade fuse holder.....
  17. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be NLA COLLECTORS ITEM 2610 for sale:rofl

JR356
  18. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. RebelGSPD

RebelGSPD Never Say Die

Oddometer:
    Thanks.I figured it was probably 1 amp.With that light a draw
    maybe I'll just wire into the extra + and - in the headlight
    cowl of my KLR and save all the routing of extra wires.
    Wally World has an inline blade fuse holder and wire by the way.
  20. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using a 2610 for a couple of years now and have logged thousands of miles and planned and executed hundreds of trips. IMHO it's an excellent unit for a motorcycle. I used it on multiple motorcycles and in my cages.

I would correct one item. The unit will store 50 routes. Each route can have 500 Waypoints. I've never exhausted that limitation. On my PC I store all of my routes and saved tracks and can go back to any of them and relive the route. On longer trips (not offroad) I bring a laptop to store tracks and plan routes (far easier to plan routes on a PC).

Two tips I would offer. The first is that you save a base set of waypoints to a separate file such as BASEWAYPOINTS.GDB. That way you can clear the unit periodically and start with a fresh set of waypoints. The second tip is that you should acquire a 2gig CF card which will hold all of NA including Canada and I even have loaded major portions of US Roads & Rec 3.03 (now out of Print). With the latter I can switch it on while riding and get a lot more off road map detail to display. The 2 gig card allows one to freely ride the USA & Canada with no worry about losing the map detail (a base map is always available).

The main screen is pretty fully customizable (see p. 42 of your manual). Essentially one just presses the MENU/MAPPING/MENU/CUSTOM SETUP and choose the tab button (1,2,3,4) and then select from a number of options. Unfortunately one can't put the sunrise/sunset time on the display.

For me the major shortcoming of the unit is that it will only store 2,000 track points. I overcame that and the sunrise / sunset issue by also using a FORETREX 201 (rechargeable battery) (also available as a 101 with regular AAA batteries) which will store 10k track points and will display sunrise/sunset). A secondary shortcoming is the lack of battery backup to be able to take the unit into rest stops for further planning. So that has to be done on the bike.

My screen is customized to show Speed and Altitude on top.
    Line 2 is Distance to turn Time to Turn
    Line 3 is Next Turn
    Line 4 is Arrival Distance Arrival Time

The above tabs can be turned off/on at will while on a ride.

I have my unit wired direct to the battery so it's available 24/7 without having to keep the bike running. I've left it on for a couple of days and the bike would still start.

While the ZUMO 550 is intriguing, the trusty 2610 keeps on ticking.

Tim