Interphone F 4 Intercom Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by owrstrich, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    BUMP

2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Possibly. There's two possibilities here. Are you talking about the Zumo 550? My understanding is that it doesn't support A2DP anyways, so if you pair the Zumo and the iPhone first, they should pair over the BT headset profile leaving the A2DP profile available. While the iPhone and Zumo are synced, then try to sync the iPhone and F4. It should only sync on the A2DP profile? However, I'm not sure if they ever connect first before the Zumo if the F4 will grab both profiles since it supports both?

What you really need is a way to dictate which BT profile connects when you pair the the iPhone to the F4 and again when you pair it with the Zumo. My understanding is there is an app out there that will do this. It might be only for jailbroken iPhones, but supposedly you can specify which BT profile connects to which device. This would be the best way to force the iPhone to connect via A2DP to the F4 and by BT headset only to the Zumo.
  3. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    Mine just developed the exact same problem. Hope Blueant will cover it. I've been using the headset for my daily commute since March. Love it otherwise.
  4. Dustball

Dustball n00b

Oddometer:
    I've had the same issue twice with my F4. The first failure I lost the boom mic side speaker, and giving the relatively new system, I attributed to me possibly ham-fisting the connector. I ordered a replacement boom mic kit on my own nickel and to my dismay the opposite speaker didn't work in the replacement. I then contacted BlueAnt customer support and they said they would replace the original failure piece and either credit my card or provide a back-up boom/mic unit. I chose the latter, but they didn't drop ship anything for me, and instead requested I send the my failed failed speaker/mic assemblies back to them at my expense.

While I really do like the functionality of the BlueAnt F4, I am less than impressed with the survivability of this design over the long haul. I'm also not overly enamored with the customer support at this point either... :waysad

-Dusty
  5. E900Vadar

E900Vadar The Dark Fant

Oddometer:
  6. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    BlueAnt is shipping me a new unit as we speak. Customer service was top rate in my opinion. I first went to RevZilla as that was where I got the unit. They gave me a direct line to the person that could resolve my problem (Pete) and he answers his own phone. We'll see if the new unit holds up any better.
  7. Valentino Magoo

Valentino Magoo Like a speeding slug Supporter

Oddometer:
    UPDATED February 3rd
    1. I received my SECOND complete left-side kit to fix the short in the BlueAnt Interphone F4. Very fast customer service, and free for a unit over a year old...good deal, IMO. Sure, it should work without a short.
    2. iPhone's upgrade meets full AVRCP standard so I can now FF and REW (along with stop, start, volume) from the headset. However, the problem with the iPhone 3G remains (but hey, that is old technology now).
    3. I LOVE these units and the company standing behind them.

I purchased my F4's in November 2009, and use them virtually every day.

Like several of you, my right-side speaker went dead in both units (about 6 months apart, the last one last month). In BOTH cases it was caused by a short somewhere in the wiring on the boom-side (left). Also, like most of you, BlueAnt shipped me a replacement "Boom Mic Kit" which solves the problem (they are shipping my second now). Super customer service (for me, anyway).

The battery life is still extraordinary (it does not bother me that the battery is not replaceable...most units don't last as long as mine anyway!). My battery still goes longer than I typically ride safely (8hr max).

The new Apple iPhone OS does NOT solve the problem for "old" iPhone 3G users like me. The problem is with the F4 because it does not properly send the "stop" signal to kill my music before an intercom call. I still can't return to music without fiddling with my iPhone after intercom is over (3Gs and 4 can voice-activate their way out of the hangup).

The addition of the travel charger is nice for the F4, but you can't use the units while they are plugged in and charging...:cry!

I routinely use Pandora as my "radio" web music while riding although it does wack my iPhone battery (unless I plug the iPhone into the bike). I can get internet in places I can't get radio out here in the Ozarks. Go figure.
  8. zoomequipd

zoomequipd n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but with over 100k+ views, i'm sure i'm not the only one wondering and after reading this entire thread, no confirmed answer.

Has anyone tried plugging in 2.5mm ear buds to these? It's my deciding factor in purchasing them. I've emailed BlueAnt, but haven't gotten a response back yet.
  9. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can think of a reason it may be a 3 pole plug.......

ground

Mike

Left channel
  10. UKADV

UKADV n00b

Oddometer:
    I've just ordered the F4 from MrHit.com

USD 139.99 +21.49 ship to UK.

Approx £120 including UK VAT
  11. Stickywicket

Stickywicket Banned

Oddometer:
    plus here is a handy tool to work out the dreaded customs and give you a landed price in pounds

http://www.dutycalculator.com/
  12. boxertwinuk

boxertwinuk GB Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi guys just purchased a dual kit and I'm having an issue with it...when I connect up either my phone / iTouch or iPad it seems to run the battery down on the F4 units within 15 mins or so...kit has also been swapped by the dealer I bought from...also the units seem to run very hot...have been testing them at home today.
  13. owrstrich

owrstrich F O T G

Oddometer:
    we are still getting 12+ hours of full duplex helmet to helmet intercom n driod incredible pairing between charges...

the driod will go dead hours before the interphone f4...

j o
  14. boxertwinuk

boxertwinuk GB Rider

Oddometer:
    Just trying the second unit in the kit, which has also been charging all day...connected to my Blackberry and playing music through it...30 mins so far and all is well. How are other folk doing with battery life playing music?
  15. bmon

bmon Go Thattaway

Oddometer:
    Have gone 10+ hours with the F4 Interphone playing (player hooked to constant charge) without power issues. My only complaint with the F4 is the noise cancellation reduces the max volume significantly over time forcing me to stop and 'reboot' the F4.
  16. TonyA

TonyA beta tester

Oddometer:
    There's no mike on the right side speaker.

It actually would be a pretty smart idea to provide stereo sound to that plug, and have the speaker connected only to the right channel.
  17. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    I have a similar battery draining experience with ours. One unit is great, always charges and you get a green light once charged.

The other one is paired to the other unit and to a Zumo and it seems to drain battery power quite quickly, say in 4 hours. When the other seems to go for about 10??
  18. owrstrich

owrstrich F O T G

Oddometer:
    im 15 months into extensive use... generally roll weekend day rides about 50 weeks a year...

still getting dawn to night battery life...

but last weekend i had a failure... no right speaker audio from 1 unit... thought i had a wire failure like previously documented here...

but its the unit... i swapped units and speaker wires...1 of the units has stopped sending right speaker audio...

gonna score a warranty replacement...

j o
  19. Georgnik

Georgnik n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello my friends,

I
    am also a candidate to buy the interphone F4 and I wanted to know if anyone have tried this combination and multiple connections simultaneously.

[FONT=&quot] 1) with a 2nd Interphone F4[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2) with a phone (bluetooth)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3) with MP3 player (bluetooth)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4) and at the same time with a Walkie Talkie Bluetooth.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you very much for your answers![/FONT]
  20. FATTKAW

FATTKAW http://www.fattkaw.com

Oddometer:
    I just had my right speaker die and it the cable right before it goes 90 degrees into the unit. kind of suck since I babied it from day one after reading other reviews.
    Has anyone's replacement broke yet??
    Also the blueant site shows both mic styles out of stock! wonder if it's getting redesigned??