Spring 2013 Rednek Rendezvous?

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Canuman, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    JUNE 7-8-9, 2013 At Brighton State Park, VT

A small, intimate group of ADV riders who weren't brought up properly.

GPX Tracks Here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889081

These are the final tracks, up to date as of May 31.

I was waiting for the world to end today. Obviously, it hasn't. So, is anyone up for a Spring 2013 RedNek Rendezvous? I'm thinking of a little different plan this time. It's fairly easy to get space in the Vermont State Parks either on or off season. I was thinking that I'd plan to reserve some space at Brighton State Park in Island Pond, VT for a spring event.

Brighton's a great place. Not only are there tidy shelters, but the place also has some very nice cabins that sleep four, and have reasonably comfy beds. They've recently redone the bath houses. There's plenty of hot water, and the place is very well kept and clean. There's a beach, and a horse shoe (pronounced hoss shoos) pit.

Best of all, it's conveniently located for a variety of riding, from mud and guts to big dual-sport to road machines.

We could avoid some of the difficulties we had this fall (which turned out to be a wonderful event despite the heavy rain) by having the shelters and cabins available. With the group rates, the whole thing would be very economical. There are 23 shelters at Brighton. Each shelter will sleep at least 4 if you're somewhat antisocial, and a lot more than that if you're sociable. I usually pitch my tent inside the shelter for privacy, but if you don't mind sleeping somewhat in the open, you can dispense with bringing a tent. Tent sites are also available, as well as sites that will accommodate camping trailers and RVs.

If we have enough people to qualify for group rates, the park fee would be $5.00 per person per night.

Barbsironbutt has offered to cater at least part of the event in the good style we experienced for the Fall 2012. This would likely include her famous breakfast sandwiches, fruit, and coffee for breakfast, and a tasty one-pot meal with sides for dinner (likely a chili one night.) We'll work out a suggested donation for the chow. Last year, we were able to feed the crew and have a great time doing it for about as much as a single sit-down meal would cost at a reasonable restaurant.

We could either arrange for fire wood through the park system or work with a local contractor to bring a load in.

There's a reasonable amount of food and all sort of beverages available within a mile of the park. I'd hope to see some of the riders from the previous RedNEKS and some new ones. Dates are flexible but would likely be sometime in the last weeks of May or the first weeks of June.

Hope to see you there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In List:

Canuman
    Barbsironbutt
    AtlasEXP
    Ballics
    8GV in spirit only. Beach bum!
    ADVRich
    Grind
    Jackpiner57
    akarob
    WAP
    alcontrast
    AndyCap
    hammerfer
    Big E
    tdvt
    p_funk
    generatordave
    MWValley +2 family
    oldskiguy
    applicant_255
    SixtyAte
    Racer111v
    VTStrom
    Devo2002
    _kiwi
    MATPOC
    VTBeemer
    zanoza
    Gooch
    guymanbro
  2. Ballics

Ballics Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Count me in!
    The state park idea sounds great.
    I had my La Fin du Monde in hand yesterday ! :beer
  3. Canuman

Oddometer:
  4. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    I am in!!! How many days?
  5. Canuman

Oddometer:
    The main event is Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday until a little after noon. You are of course invited to stop over for the week if you want.
  6. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope to be there. I'll likely ride up via the Puppy Dog Route.
  7. Canuman

Oddometer:
    OK. We have a little initial interest. Depending how the groups tally up, here's some thoughts.

AtlasEXP has offered to lead the little bikes, and I'm hoping to do at least one day on the KDX myself. We discovered some tasty small bike routes last Fall, which we'll try to extend this spring. The state park is much more friendly for trailering bikes in than the Palace of the People, as it is better adapted to RVs. I'd still suggest that people who are trailering try to group up to avoid having too many vehicles on site.

Anton's style is a small-bike adventuring mode. He rides hard, but not fast. The technical end of things will be more important than raw speed.

Plated, street-legal bikes are a must. Vermont is pretty lenient as far as regulations go. Hi/Low beam, horn, tail/brake lights one mirror and a plate should cover it. Have license, registration and insurance card on you. Turn signals are not required in VT. I'd highly recommend soft, grippy knobbies or trials tires. You can usually get away with non-DOT tires here. If you are running dual-sport tires, they should be on the aggressive side. Tires for 90% road use will not cut the mustard. There will be rocks, mud, trees, and water crossings if we can at all help it. The definition of a small bike is variable. I certainly would not recommend anything larger than a very dirt-oriented 650 in the hands of an exceptionally skilled rider. You'll have a better time the lighter and nimbler your machine is. I intend to do the pre-runs on either the DRZ400 or my KDX200.

There will be no tech inspection or any other silliness like that. We expect people to be able to take responsibility for themselves and wipe their own backsides. Really loud mufflers will be frowned upon, as we have to get along with our neighbors. Bring tools and spares, especially tubes and tire changing gear. We will make GPX tracks available, and I highly advise that every rider have a GPS and the knowledge of how to use it.

The big dual-sport ride is something many of you are familiar with. Again, I'd stress having as aggressive a tire as you can mount within reason. This will be over gravel logging and forest roads, with some tech sections thrown in. It is not a place for road-oriented tires, particularly if there is wet weather. Be prepared to ride about 200 to 250 miles per day over as much gravel as I can loop together. Have navigational gear and know how to use it.

The road bikes have generally taken care of themselves. The road surfaces around VT are not particularly suited for stiff or unforgiving suspension. Certain paved roads here will make you wish for a dirt bike. However, there are hundreds of miles of good pavement and some spectacular scenery.
  8. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim :wave Happy Holidays!

I'm in! :clap Sounds like another great time. :beer

The park sounds great! I plan to bring up an '11 WR250X I picked up a while back. Early June works for me and will give more time to sell Big Peter to pay for Little Paul and fund some mods. If I don't have a set of knobbed 21/18 hoops by then I'll either run the Shinko 705's (dryish) or spoon on some 50/50 knobs (wet) and do the big dually rides.
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Good to hear Rich!

I'd think you'd be much happier with knobbies. Just sayin'!

Welcome!

10. grind

grind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim!
    Count me in!
  11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Excellent! It will be be good to ride with you again, Steve!
  12. barbsironbutt

barbsironbutt Bungee Rancher

Oddometer:
    I'm in. I'll need dates ASAP so I can manipulate the schedule at work. It will be great seeing and riding with everyone again! I'll help with meals (gluten free, vegetarian, twinkies, whatever) any way that I can! Hopefully, Earle the weather god, will be kinder to us this time.
  13. Canuman

Oddometer:
    We're gonna make a big pot of glop that is heavy on saturated fat, sodium, and trans-fat. Beans will figure heavily in the mix -- watch out!
  14. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Barb :wave :thumb

I'll leave the extra fuel tank home then and rig up the methane lines... :D
  15. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    I have never been to one of these Rendezvous, but I would like to join this one, if the dates work out ok.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates.
  16. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I'm currently looking at either the weekend before or the weekend after Memorial Day. If we can get in the weekend before (Vermont Parks has been known to open for groups if they think it is worth their while) we'll have the place to ourselves. I think we'd need to have about 30 riders to make it worth while.

I need to fix the date pretty soon. Our stalwart Ms. Barb needs plenty of time to assure that she has the weekend free. Hungry bellies want her there!

Expect some of this:

[​IMG]

Some of that:

[​IMG]

And a large portion of this:

[​IMG]

Thanks again for the excellent pics, Steve!
  17. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Baby!

[​IMG]
  18. grind

grind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are quite welcome on pics. Glad you can use them!
  19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.
  20. grind

grind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good cause I want to do another rendezvous after Labor Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!