Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    My $400 XS-650. It actually ran , Somewhat , when I bought it.

[​IMG]

Spent several hundred dollars, Not counting beer to turn it into a $500 bike :D

[​IMG]

I probably still have less than $1500 in the whole outfit
  2. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    SmugMug.
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod
  4. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 94 GS500 for my wife to ride to Deadhorse next June.13,000 miles,Like new condition from a guy who collects GS500's and has a small warehouse of parts and bikes.$1,500!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    One more try...

[​IMG]
  6. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gs1150 6,000 miles. $1500.00
    [​IMG]
  7. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    You did well. I had one the same, but with 45000 miles, and a taste for burning oil. I sold it for the same amount.
  8. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 That looks like a guy I knows bike.His name is Patrick.I won't give a last name on an open forum.I believe him and a few of us have a great stock of GS500E parts.It's the only bike I have dealt with for 5 or 6 years.I have six and an 8x8 building stacked with spares. :lol3
  9. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Great bike those 1150's I'm a GS man !!

10. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the internet!

Dropbox sucks, doesn't work right.

Try SmugMug if you like this site and want to support it.

Otherwise, there are plenty of free photo hosting sites out there.
  11. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here you go

[​IMG]
  12. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    At todays exchange rate I paid $1200

As you may have seen in the Eurojumble post, I bought a new bike while there yesterday, well it was delivered today, so my first chance to really get to see what I bought, and as you can see it is a stunner.
    Sure there a couple of small items that will need sorting, Rear indicators, weeping master cylinder, being the most urgent at this time, it also smokes quite badly when it starts, but that soon dissapears when warm, I have heard this is quite common though, although I am not sure to what extent.

I intend to to get it booked into the garage though, and get them to give it the once over, just to be sure all is well. They can also fit a new seal set to the master cylinder while it is there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also there was a surprise in the storage area, Tool kit, new disk lock, new cable lock, and the service pack.:freaky
  13. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very clean bike.The smoking is usually caused by oil bypassing the rings after the engine has been turned off and you lean it on its sidestand.Before you lean it over to the left onto its sidestand,lean it to the right for a moment after turning it off.The oil will drain into the pan (at least most of it will).The miles on your RS is nothing for the piston rings if she's been taken care of...great find.:clap
  14. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    YES,that bike ( Trey ) was bought from Pat.It use to be blue but my wife wanted purple and ofcourse Pat had a set of just about every color body work Suzuki put out so purple it became !!.

15. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:

Ah, many thanks Kev. Speedo has been reset to 000000... that way I know exactly when to service it again. I have new pipes, just need to pop on a header set up and it'll be about 94% quieter. As it is, though, it makes a nice throaty roar.

Great K100RS too. I used to sell those when they were new! It was an interesting time. Airheads still available, K100 and K75 models on the floor, and the new R1100RS just coming out.

They were the Legendary Motorcycles of Germany then. The ones that remain still are. Everything else from BMW is suspect.
  16. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

1974 mx175 - $600
    MX360 front end $150
    skyway 6th gear pipe $125
    redwing shocks $200
    footpegs, bark busters, real tires,seals, etc. $150.00
    tank $75.00

waiting on a seat cover. gotta build up foam in front of seat to stop the ballbuster
    now ready to race
  17. Motoduc1

Motoduc1 backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer:
    I can hear that bike from here! Great find! Nice original tank, too!
  18. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    91 k100-rs
    At todays exchange rate I paid $1200

At that price you got a beautiful classic BMW. Those are known to easily go WELL over 200,000 miles with no engine work. Two members in my BMW club exceeded 225,000 on their K-bikes.

The smoking, after the bike is parked on the sidestand, is a very common characteristic of the K-bikes. But it is not necessarily caused by crankcase oil seeping by worn rings, because the oil sump level is actually below the pistons. More often it is caused by oil mist that had condensed in the air box (the crankcase breather is routed into the airbox). When the bike is parked on the sidestand that oil can dribble down into whichever throttle body is the lowest, and at startup the smoke is caused by that very minimal oil being burned in the combustion chamber.

To put your mind at ease, have a compression test done. If it comes back in spec, then you only have the typical K-bike Startup smoke and nothing to worry about it. Ride it, enjoy it!
  19. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

$550 before new tires, chain, sprockets, tune up, etc... Got it home and cleaned the carbs, added gas and a battery... went for a ride!:clap The cases came with my DR650, the mounts I made. Been riding the thing for a few months and have about 6000 miles of my own on it. (17,000 miles now.)

Too bad my first post here is with a crappy cell phone pic... but I just happened to remember I wanted to put this up.
  20. senatorperkins

senatorperkins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1970 CB350 bought for $200.. missing carbs, rear brake lever, battery, clutch/brake levers, center stand, key switch, drive chain, rear taillight, air filters, throttle/tach cable, mirrors, horn, header had a missing flange, cracked speedometer..

[​IMG]

And it had these dumb glass pack mufflers. I new it was never going to be a pretty bike, but I got it all tuned up and had a lot of fun blasting around town on it. About $250-300 worth of parts into it, then I got tired of riding around on the stock tires and installed some new ones before selling it.

[​IMG]

1973 Yamaha MX360 given to me for free by a friend of my dad's who had ice raced it as a younger lad. Cleaned the carb, converted for pre-mix, rode it around my parking lot a couple of times and seized it due to a big exhaust leak and/or gunk in the bottom/top end.

Had a friend weld the crack in the pipe, flushed the bottom end, rebuilt the top end with a fresh piston + rings, hone job, small end bearing, new gaskets all around. Rear shocks stuck, no rebound in front fork.. useless tires, laid it down on the grass once and decided it wasn't for me. Sold it for $400 to an old dirt rider who liked the old thumpers.