Guatemala to Alaska and Back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GuateRider, Feb 17, 2012.

1. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes , really amazing places down here...and great wether!
    Wait for the pics from Crater Lake, an other incredible place !!!
  2. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm glad somebody else answered, I didn't remember the name of the mountain :huh
  3. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left Mt. Shasta this morning , went looking for some forest road that I never found, kept on going to Mt. Lassen NP and ende up in Red Bluff,CA
    Finally I got wifi and I'm working on my pics right now , actually right now I'll go for some :freaky and then I'll continue with the pics :D
  4. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The morning I took off from Redmond,my friend Ken came along until Bend where he had to drop off his monster at the shop for service

[​IMG]

From Bend I took the Cascade Lakes Highway down towards Crater Lake, not the shortest route but definitely worth every extra mile . Cool temperature,great turns,no traffic and lots of fantastic lakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few hours, I arrived at Crater Lake , National Park . What a view !!!! Reminded me a lot of Lake Atitlan,back home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After riding and hiking all afternoon long around the lake, I went to the campground ,set up my tent and went to look for something to eat. On my way out of the campground , I saw a tremendously overloaded KTM with German license plates pull in . I went to talk to the guy andhe ended up setting up his tent next to mine . An other $10.00 saved :D

At night it got pretty cold, below freezing point...Our tent is way to big just for myself in such cold weather . But the sunrise the next morning was great and I was off to an early start

[​IMG]
  5. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The next morning for the first time on my journey I went riding with an other traveller , Joachim . He shipped his KTM from Germany to Halifax,crossed Canada, went up to Prudhoe and is now on his way down south.
    We left Crater Lake early in the morning and headed out towards Mt. Shasta . This day especially I missed my wife on the backseat : Mt. Shasta was something she was really looking forward to...

Another "border"crossing

[​IMG]

By the time we got close enough to see the mountain , it was pretty haze and the view was not to clear .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After finding a campground and setting up our tents, we kept on riding around and exploring the aerea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Homemade dinner at the campground

[​IMG]

One way how to carry a pair of huge offroad boots :D

[​IMG]
  6. AKjack

AKjack Savvy?

Oddometer:
    Years ago when we were camping outside of crater lake, we were being disturbed by a bear rummaging in the brush around the tent. Very exciting! Any good wildlife when you were there?
  7. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

Great idea! Even after 2 years on the road I just wore mine everyday. :lol3
  8. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the morning we left kind of late and went off looking for a forest road that somebody had told us about .
    I always thought that my bike was heavily overloaded, but after seeing Joachims bike…and he is travelling solo…….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m not sure if we found the right road, but it sure was a beautiful spot where we ended up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there we went on towards Mt. Lassen, National Park. By the time we got there, we could see that there was quiet a bit of smoke from the Oregon fires in the air

[​IMG]

But the views were still impressive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this reminded me of what we have seen in Yellowstone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the time we got to Red Bluff, temperature was up at 97…way to hot after a few cold days in the mountains. …. The pool and a few cold ones felt just great
  9. gringostd

gringostd Rubber side up

Oddometer:
    Good lord, is that a wet suit? ... and what's in the big, silver canister? Where did he fit his ass?!
  10. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a few deers,nothing exciting ? How is the Moose hunting season been so far? Did your daughter get one?

Wet suit is one of the few things he does not carry :D In the silver canister goes the sleeping bag and a sheepskin :eek1:eek1
  11. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we left Red Bluff and took highway 36 out to the coast . Beautiful road with lots of turns and almost no traffic. I enjoyed the ride and myself , looking for the ideal line in all these turns, riding like I did it back home on the weekends and not over carefully like usually on the journey
    This riding made me hungry , so we stopped at this interesting place : good and simple breakfast, not fast, but good

[​IMG]

Once we got closer to the coast, we came through a forest with great trees , riding in a green and living tunnel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we got to Ferndale, we split up . Joachim went out to the Lost Coast , heading south on his way to Argentina (Good luck amigo!!) , and I went to Eureka , to spend the rest of the day there.
  12. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eureka …I liked it ! A nice small town,with lots of murals

I just hung out, walked around ,relaxed and took some pictures.
    It was a fun afternoon and evening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course there was not just art around …:D:freaky:D

[​IMG]

At the evening down at the docks it got a big foggy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    What an incredible day riding :clap:clap:clap

The Lost Coast and then the Red Woods....AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    i am still in Louisiana, i cross the border next week and i'm taking it slow in mexico, staying with mikemike in Vercruz on the way south, then a little Belize so i won't be in Guatemala until late October and then be there for a month...if this ties in with you getting back drop me a PM and we can hook up for that beer
  15. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Let's see how it works out , would like to have this :freaky and get some tips on how to improve my pics . Keep me posted when you get to Guate
  16. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ride out of Eureka to the Lost Coast was incredible !!!
    Once I crossed the bridge in Ferndale , it almost felt like being back home again :SHITTY PAVEMENT BUT INCREDIBLESCENERY :D:D
    The changes of temperature are very frequent, as soon as you get closer to the ocean , it gets cold , and 8 miles up the hills it gets really hot again

This is how it starts

[​IMG]

Then you get the first look at the ocean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then it just gets better and better...blue sky for one moment, foggy the next...both very beautiful in their own way. Before getting to the Pacific North Coast I never liked the fog, now I see it in a different way, I learned to appreciate its beauty and mystery...Everything about nature is just beautiful as soon as we approach it with an open mind and as long as we are thankful for the opportunity to see it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this bridge took me away from one of the most beautiful coastlines that I have seen so far...and one step closer to an other miracle of nature, the Red Woods

[​IMG]
  17. Nateman

Nateman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great pics. I did a similar trip years ago (although in a car) and your RR brings back fond memories. You are seeing some great parts of the country.
  18. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Good to have you along and lad that you are enjoying the pics !
  19. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    After leaving the Lost Coast, I arrived at Humboldt Redwoods State Park . Whenever we as human being start to believe that we are almighty , we should take a walk in the Redwoods and I'm sure that in no time , we would get our feet back on the ground. The trees are huge, they are so massive,made me feel so small but also so protected. Very unique and peaceful environment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Julio - Among those redwoods is the tallest tree on this planet, but not the biggest. Farther south, in Sequoia NP, is the biggest living thing on Earth - a sequoia tree. To get there you would pass the highest point in the continental US, Mt. Whitney and the lowest point in North America, Death Valley. This in case you like to collect superlatives. (And don't forget the oldest living things, bristlecone pines near Bishop, CA, and the site where gold was discovered in Calif. at Sutter's Mill). Or, save all that for another trip and just enjoy the Calif. coast south of Carmel.