Guzzi Weirdness

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LonerDave, Jul 30, 2012.

1. limeymike

limeymike Bourbon Tester

Oddometer:

:hide
  2. BanditDozerYogi

BanditDozerYogi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
  3. eldomike

eldomike Who Cares Supporter

Oddometer:
    That taillight is correct for the bike....also used on Vespa and Ducati...

4. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    While I'd never give a bike a paint job like that, I actually kind of like it. If it was on a CB750 it wouldn't work, but that bike is so bad-ass you can get away with it. I'd put on some lower bars, and ride the hell out of it. Have fun with it.
  5. Nick in PRC.

Nick in PRC. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering when the price would fall to where someone would finally buy that..............I'd ditch the fishtails, nothing screams wanna be Harley than fishtails. The flames don't help either :D

Glam it up a bit more with some stick on rhinestones.
  6. limeymike

limeymike Bourbon Tester

Oddometer:
    Always puzzles me when 'Harley' style parts are put on a Guzzi, Guzzi's are so much cooler than Harleys without any mods.
  7. GeneF

GeneF What Would Ogri Do?

Oddometer:
    Riding a Guzzi is a gateway drug to being weird.

I like the flames. I'd replace the exhaust with some loud Contis and either drag or clubman bars and ride the hell out of it.

Cool bike. :thumb
  8. LonerDave

LonerDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd been watching the bike for several weeks. Was tempted at the original price, but was on the fence given paint job, fishtails and the noteriety of the chrome cylinders. The Ts also only have the single disk up front, so I didn't pull the trigger.

Price came down, then again, then the listing disappeared. Was slightly crestfallen. Perhaps it was obvious, as even my wife asked if I was dissappointed about missing out on it. Figured I'd just shift my search focus to a LeMans or T3.

Performed my usual CL search last week and saw that it had been posted again, at an even lower price. Texted my wife and she replied "It's fate! Go buy it!". For all my complaining about her, she's wonderfully supportive about my "problem".

The vote among friends and family about the flames is running about 70%-30% in favor of keeping them. They're well done and look much better in person than in pictures. I do realize the slippery slope to weirdness they represent. Guess I'll keep it as is for now and sort out the mechanicals and other areas while I noodle on it.

First thing is the exhaust. I think stock bikes had Lafranconi, but buying those would nearly double what I have into the bike. Don't want it too loud and the mufflers have to be pretty long (32"?) to reach the crossover pipe without an extension. EMGO has the extra long reverse megaphones, but don't know how they'd sound. Have heard that Contis produce a nice sound on the Guzzis. Any suggestions?
  9. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

what's wrong with the paint? :dunno
  10. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    The Guzzi flames aren't bad, just plain. Needs outlining and contrasting shading as the Norton has.
  11. Detroit Steve

Detroit Steve Homely Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish my R50/2 had that paint job on it. SERIOUSLY, don't paint it and blend in.:norton
  12. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous! I'd love to have a T3, and in as nice a shape as that one.

I think the bike looks fine, except for the mufflers, and they're only a slight distraction. Of course, I'd never think of a paint scheme like that, but it appears to be well done, and for some reason I like it. Can't say why...

First thing I'd do is lower bars, then add another front disc.

Where was it for sale? What did you give for it?
  13. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to spend the money for Guzzi mufflers look into Bub's. Join the club like I suggested and run an advert for some good used mufflers.
  14. LonerDave

Oddometer:
    The bike was on Craigslist here in Milwaukee. At the risk of looking like a fool or a thief, I paid $1,700.
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    It's what these two ride.

[​IMG]
  16. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    That's a deal. I would ride it as is since those pipes are so bitchin in a 1950s Sci Fi Ray Gun way.
  17. pigeyes

pigeyes bilge rat

Oddometer:
    Mate that ain't a flame job, that's a box jellyfish and they can be deadly!
    mick
  18. Ddouble

Ddouble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have run the EMGO Dunstall replicas on a couple of my Tonti Guzzis. They look good and sound really great IMO. They are quite a bit louder than stockers.
  19. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    So it finally sold. I eyed that several times wishing I had the cash to go get it. I think given the house in the background of the picture, you really had no right to expect anything less. All the same, it doesn't look like it iwll take much to put that right. Wanna trade straight across for a 72 Sportster?
  20. LonerDave

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Bought a set of these. At about $50 a pop, worth it to see how it changes the look and sound.

Yeah, had been on CL for a while. The seller lives down the street from the Caddy house and placed it there for better exposure. Suspect some passers-by just thought it was the latest addition to his outdoor gallery.:D Here're pix of house. http://blog.markcz.com/cudahy-wisconsin-cadillac-yard/ BTW, the shark is now attached to his garage.