Hyper Motard Check In

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by conlysm, Jun 11, 2010.

1. flyinon2

flyinon2 Bikes, Blues ...

Oddometer:
    Just picked my 2010 1100 Evo SP up last week and all that I can say is Holy Sh..! I traded in a 2005 BMW K1200S. I know, totally different bikes. I found that I was riding 99% of the time within 200 miles of my house so I wanted to get something a littler lighter and a little more fun. Well, this is definitely lighter and a lot more fun. I was going around a slow 90 degree corner yesterday and got on the gas a little early just to see if it would power slide a little but to my surprise the rear stayed planted and the front wheel came up instead! Tons of fun!

[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:
    Ok..... finally a chance to really ride.... Went to the MSTA TriStar rally in Sparta NC. 700+ miles over the Memorial day weekend riding 421, 58, Squirrel Spur, Piper Gap, and many other great roads in TN, NC, and VA.

the new head has not leaked a drop and the Attack 2s are really a nice tire....

BTW anyone have seat recommendations ??? :ear

PB
  3. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    BTW anyone have seat recommendations ??? :ear

PB[/QUOTE]

Yes, try to wait till next year to change it. You'll prolly adapt to it. It is what it is and a good seat for what the way the bike was designed to be ridden. Ducati does not make long range touring bikes knowing well that the market exists. The bike is gorgeous. I'm jeolous.
  4. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:

Yes, try to wait till next year to change it. You'll prolly adapt to it. It is what it is and a good seat for what the way the bike was designed to be ridden. Ducati does not make long range touring bikes knowing well that the market exists. The bike is gorgeous. I'm jeolous.[/QUOTE]

ah, there area few seats out there just wanted to know if any are better than stock...... the ergos on this bike are just right for sport touring ..... I could see 300 mile plus days easy... the stock seat kinda of pushes the boys into the gas tank :lol3

PB
  5. flyinon2

flyinon2 Bikes, Blues ...

Oddometer:
    ah, there area few seats out there just wanted to know if any are better than stock...... the ergos on this bike are just right for sport touring ..... I could see 300 mile plus days easy... the stock seat kinda of pushes the boys into the gas tank :lol3

A lot of people are going to the Sargent seat. I am seriously considering one myself.
  6. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I have the Ducati comfort seat and like it, as it is a bit more dished in the rider seat area.
  7. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, the best seat is from James Renazco. It pains me to post this as my bike was stolen just days after these photos were taken...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seat wasn't stolen however as James was making an ajustment to the stitching to line up the tank cowl and the seat. I'm hoping another Hyper is in my future so I'm holding onto the seat.

Gregor
  8. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    I can get a zero owners 796 Ducati Hypermotard, 2010, for around 9500 from a dealer here... I am really tempted to get it... REALLY tempted. Especially since it is the black and all (looks very Mad Max-ish). Till now, I have been pretty set on getting a dedicated adventure bike. Was pretty set on a spankin' Triumph Tiger XC I think. To replace my old cb550 cafe bike.

I imagine the tard is not really capable of anything like that. Mostly the suspension and the tires/wheels right? I mean, I could get a plate, exhaust, crash bars fabricated without much problem. But i think it is the rest of it that is the problem.

All else considered, as a tourer, is there a good replacement for those end mirrors? They do not really impress me to say the least. I think I would definitely get the 6 gallon tank I saw on the interwebs and the seat you guys have been pointing at in here.
  9. motoital

motoital Dork on 2 wheels

Oddometer:

Sorry for your loss.... The bike looked SHARP! Hope you get it replaced, maybe with an evo SP? :evil
  10. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    The sun kindly cooperated during this pause with the EVO SP. An amazing bike.

[​IMG]
  11. 32vsnake

32vsnake Now I lay me down to sleep

Oddometer:
  12. BaronVonDarrin

Oddometer:
    I hope some guys are subbed to this thread...

I am currently in the market to buy a bike and am torn between two of them. One of which is the 'tard. A friend of mine dragged me to the Duc dealer and I was looking around and then I saw a bike in the corner of the shop that looked like something out of Mad Max. This black, hellbent, crazy bastard of a bike. It was a 2010 796 that the dealer can't get rid of supposedly. So I sat on it and wow. Talk about perfect feeling.

I originally had some fantasies about making it a little more capable off the pavement, but after some google searching and lookin' around on here and the like it doesn't seem like that is possible? BUT I am still pretty infatuated with the thing.

Have some questions though:

• Could I at LEAST do some dirt/bumpy/gravely roads on it? everyone sites Pikes Peak, but I do not know all too much about what that road looks like...
    • Would the tard be OK for a two-up trip? I would like to be able to take a certain someone with me sometimes.
    • Are the luggage options decent? Like the tank pannier things?
    • Is their gonan be at least more wind protection than on my old CB550? :rofl I went to Philly from Hagerstown MD on it and it was annoying at times but I was not complaining. I loved every minute of that trip.
    • Is the 796 worth it? I am coming from a cb550 so I was thinking I did not want to jump to something so insanely fast. the 796 seemed a good fit for that bill
    • How is the fuel mileage?
    • Is there an alternative to those mirrors...

*edit*
    by the way, the other bike I am eyeing buying is the new tiger XC. Would that suit my 60 mile commute to work, want to leave the road a little, and single/two-up touring dreams better?
  13. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    With your "requirements", I'd say the Triumph Tiger would be a better option.
    I love my Hypermotard (1100S), but it really isn't the most practical bike around. Not why I bought it, so I'm definitely NOT disappointed. :evil
  14. BaronVonDarrin

Oddometer:
    hey thanks for the feedback. Have you ever went two up on it or went down some dusty roads?
  15. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have done some local 2-up riding, but I usually have the passenger pegs off. I don't like how the passenger peg mounts splay your heels out, so they get replaced with DP heel guards. :D

I have a place in NC that is a couple hundred yards in on a dirt road, and it manages fine. It's just that I have the BMW for the general dirt road stuff, and the KTM for the rougher stuff, so I really don't need to run the Ducati on anything more than what it takes to get home.

It will do what the Triumph will do, but I feel the Triumph would do the passenger and off-road duties better.
  16. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve!!

I just picked up another, I sold my 2008 S and missed it so I picked up a 2010 Evo Sp as well!! It was a Ducati Demo with 600 miles and just about every piece of DP hardware you can put on one!! Sorry for the iPhone pic.

[​IMG]
  17. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Bryan... Same here! Missed the 2008 S. Dang, that thing is loaded. Major congrats.
  18. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    My fiancee has a 620 Monster, and is enamored with the HM. She just found a '10 796.

She's short. Short enough that she's wondering if the extra 2" of seat height (compared to the Monster) is going to be a problem.

Anybody know any lowering options for the 796? The factory "short guy" seat is 5mm lower than the stock seat, so not really worth dealing with.

One review made a comment about it being difficult to keep the front end down while in 1st gear. Is that an issue? She might weigh 125 in full gear.

I'm happy she's getting a bike that I can ride. On the Monster, I can almost get my knee on the ground - while the bike is on the kickstand. :lol3
  19. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Did you take a picture in that exact spot except with a red 5th gen VFR parked there instead? :scratch I had it as my backdrop for months. Nice photo here too!
  20. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Check with the dealer in regards to lowering links for the rear; the front can be dropped a bit my moving the forks up in the triples.