Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe, (That would make a great title for a country song :lol3), I thinned my herd, replaced my CRF250X with a WR250R.
    Well, I guess I didn't really thin anything but it's a great bike, slightly heavier and not as snappy as the CRFx, but for the kind of riding we(?) do I think it's a better choice. I hope, the deal's done.

I'm planning on taking it to Silverton, Colorado in a couple of weeks, I'll find out if I did the right thing then.

Good luck finding a WRR around here.

2. bhd1223

bhd1223 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I got my new bars and stuff this evening. I haven't installed anything yet but did cut down each end by 9/16" to get back to ~30.5" length on the bars. I didn't measure that yet though. I'll do that tomorrow afternoon when I get the install on. Based off my rough measurements and some calculations the new pullback should be ~2.23" on the YZ bend Tusk Chub. Hopefully by tomorrow night R² will be back up and ready to ride.

I'd like to take it on the longest trip of it's life Sat. About 105 miles round trip with 90 of 2 lane routes and 15 of interstate. The previous longest was my commute of about 95 miles round trip, 70 4+ lane highway and 25 2 lane routes. That's sad, right? Once I'm healed a little more I'll be looking to improve my off-road ability some and then get going on some short to mid distance "adventure" rides encompassing pavement and dirt. I want to wear out the trailwings on the pavement commuting though. I need to get this bike over 500 miles already. I should be close but really need to bust 1000 soon too. At least I've used it more than the previous owner.
  3. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a little 420 mile ride last Sun with my WR. RR in Southwest Sec. under Grand Canyon Again & Again.

[​IMG]
  4. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Go get em.....Machtig! :lurk:lurk

HF :thumb
  5. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    Make us proud! Heck, you made me proud just by showing up!!! :clap
  6. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately most riders think it's just another F.
  7. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike! What bar/ riser set-up is that?
  8. mordicai

mordicai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom I'm looking for a kidney belt. Do you like yours. What brand. Thanks ...Max
  9. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    \
    It's a Fox brand. Fairly wide. Only have one kidney so need to protect it as much as I can.
  10. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Protaper Contour Patrana FMX with Moose tallest bar risers.
  11. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:

I weigh 165 and opted for the lighter spring. It made a world of difference (along with a shock revalve). Even without the revalve you will notice the rear tracks the terrain better. The forks are good for me, but a too stiff rear spring (regardless of preload) will cause too much weight bias to the front forks during suspension action, which may be part of why you are not satisfied with the front.
  12. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WR250R is an absolute pig off-road compared to a KDX, about 70 lbs heavier and less horsepower. A good running KDX 200 or 220 (pipe and reeds) can produce mid 30's horsepower. The front stock KDX supension is undersprung but the WR250 has a very poorly valved rear shock - so even the suspension is not as good as a stock KDX off-road. Look at it this way - Fredette won gold ISDE medals on KDX's - even with his skills he couldn't have done that if the bike was 290+ lbs....
  13. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bikes weight is everything to me as I am getting older and muscle mass is leaving me. Being from California, can a KDX be street legal? Currently looking at Beta, KTM for light bikes that can do some street.
  14. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks; looks perfect for stand-up riding
  15. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm in the same boat...weight is a priority and light means I can still handle the rough stuff.

But regarding street legal KDXs, no, unless you can find one that was made street-legal 2003 or earlier (which do pop up on craigslist now and then) you'd have to go with a Euro-bike if you want light. One bike you might want to look at is the Husqvarna TE 310, this bike has supposedly been upgraded from the 2010 model with more horsepower and better chassis...light too. They seem to have a pretty good maintenance and reliability rep. The bad part is the prices on the Euro stuff...yikes and many folks still like a larger tank and softer seat. From time to time you can find used dual sport KTM 450 exc's for decent prices tho', but for me, a 450 is overkill, off-road. If you have the money, now is a good time to buy used, as there are some great deals for barely-used bikes due to the economy.
  16. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Doing the install of my Scotts on the wr and it calls for a 32 mm or 1 1/4" open end wrench. I of course don't have one, but I do have a big honking cresent. Think that will do?

Any other tips?
  17. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    Some supermoto track day action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flying WRR :evil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! The WRR/X is a true do-it-all bike. Love these shots!
  19. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    Working on reading this thread from the beginning..1600pages:huh

I am at page 50now.but check new post often!!
    My 2 concerns with the wr250r are
    1) less power then the DRZ(powerwheelies)
    2) How highway capable is the little 250? ( Can I ride 70/75mph for more then a hour or so?)

Bonus....You guys give me reason to keep my 220....:evil
  20. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    Answers:
    1) Power wheelies - you're going to need to use the clutch
    2) 70-75 on the highway all day long. Gotta love that 6th gear. :thumb