Classic bonehead move...with bad results

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Cyath, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a moron, and I need help in undoing my mistake.
    Let me bring you up to speed.
    2010 990 Adventure with 16K trouble-free miles. Then last night, leaving from work, it wouldn't start. Cranks but wouldn't catch ignition. Ran the battery down trying to fire it up. Trailered it home.
    Just got my CJ Designs fuel pump rebuild kit 2 days ago, so while the battery was being re-charged overnight, rebuilt and changed out all the fuel filters, which by the looks of it, it needed.

Here's where I fucked up. Anxious to see if it would fire up, I just slid the batt in with the poles reversed and of course when I tried to fire it up, the whole console was dead. No lights, nothing. Less than 30 seconds before I realized my mistake, but it was too late. I'm sure I fried something, but I can't find it.

Reinstalled the battery correctly, nothing. No lights, console dead. All the fuses in the storage box are intact.
    The 30A, 40A and 25A fuses the down on the right hand side of the bike are all intact.
    Are there any other fuses I'm missing?
    Called my local dealer and they said to check the Starter Solenoid. I'm still searching through the forum and microfiche to find out where the hell it is.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks
  2. Cyath

Oddometer:
    Okay, found this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12844860&postcount=7 post which was very helpful. Turns out that there are two 30A fuses under the starter relay cover, one of which is nicely hidden on the back side of the cluster and I just barely saw the hint of green as I wedged my head in there. You cant reach it with your fingers, need a needle-nose plier to get it. Sure enough, that fuse was blown. Of course there's plenty of other spare fuses on the bike, but no 30's.
  3. Cyath

Oddometer:
    Bummer update.
    New 30A fuse. Bike cranks again, but doesn't fire up.
    Fuel pump installed with CJ filters and O-ring kit.
    Gonna pull the plugs to make sure they're getting juice.
    Any ideas?
    I'd appreciate any help.
  4. Cyath

Oddometer:
    Nope. The plugs don't spark.
    Now to chase that down. Back to the HOW.
  5. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the problem actually existed before the blowing of the fuses etc, ie when you cranked it flat in the first place.
  6. Cyath

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think you're right. Never a problem starting before (other than with the known Shorai cold weather starting issues), but it now has a fully charged Yuasa.
    The lost spark issue is probably what left me stranded and I went for the fuel pump since that seemed to be the most common issue in similar threads.
  7. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it flashing an FI code? All wires plugged back together behind tank? Fuel line reconnected properly? Those seem to the most common and most likely.
  8. Cyath

Oddometer:
    All good ideas catalina83.
    No FI code, and everything is back and plugged in again, rechecked.
    At least an FI code would give me a starting point.
  9. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kickstand switch?
  10. Cyath

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't the kickstand switch prevent the bike from cranking at all?
    The starter cranks the engine, but I've confirmed that the plugs aren't getting a spark.
  11. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Bonehead :evil

Hiya Mike :wave

No frickin idea what you need to do (cept maybe time for a beer).

Gerg
  12. Wantajustride

Wantajustride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cyath

I aint no mechanic,,
    Could it be the electronic ignition coil (stick coil for the 990?) to the spark plug? Maybe the connector to the stick coil has come loose? You have no spark to either cylinder? I suppose there would be 2 of them since it's a twin. Odds that both went bad at the same time would be very remote I'd think.
    I have no idea how you'd check them to see if they were damaged on the reversed battery polarity :scratch

I'm not sure about the 990, but when I was pulling the spark plug on my 690 I removed the 2 wires from the ignition coil to make it easier to get the plug wire off. I could see how those wires/spade connectors could work their way loose. I know if my 690 won't start some day that would be one of the first things I'd check.

Hope you get it sorted.

WJR
  13. Dogtown

Dogtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can hear the fuel pump pre-start noise? I know you said no spark but just curiouse...

I think it will crank with the kickstand switch....Kick stand switch cuts the spark not the power to the starter..

I did this for about an hour once.....I found that I had my on / off toggle off.... duhh!
  14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    No, it also cuts out the starter. Verified this today.
  15. OneDay

OneDay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the fuel petcocks? Sometimes it is the simplest things. I've done that mistake before.
  16. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will it crank with the immobilizer/key being dorked?
  17. Cyath

Oddometer:
    Hey Gerg! Yes, I have beer on board. It's helping me from losing my shit over this. :thumb
    Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate all the help.
    Petcocks are open and there's plenty of gas. Since I rebuilt the fuel pump, and the filters were dry, I made sure it was nicely covered in gas. Yes, the bike cranks but I can't hear ignition. It's on the center stand with the kickstand up.
    I think you're on to something WJR. From the microfiche, it looks like the stator and the pulse generator supply power to the plugs. I'm sure the ECU plays a role someone in there, I don't know much about it.

Like a lot of guys on here, I hate to take the bike in to the shop unless I absolutely have to. The more I know how to service and fix the bike, the better prepared I am when in the middle of nowhere.
  18. KarimADV

KarimADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you check the line from the on/off button? sometimes a broken wire can get you mad :)
  19. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it's not getting spark? It seems like an incredible coincidence that you just rebuilt your fuel pump and spark is the problem. Any time that something is just messed with and something goes wrong, 99 times out of 100 whatever you just messed with is the culprit.

This being said, the issue with your battery installed wrong muddies up the water. You obviously had a problem with starting prior to the batter SNAFU, so if you're not getting spark, I wonder if it's two separate problems. The first having to do with your fuel pump you rebuilt and the second with the lack of spark (which I would attribute to the battery being installed incorrectly until proven otherwise). If I were you, I'd re-verify that your spark plug isn't firing. If it isn't, that would be my first priority
  20. Cyath

Oddometer:
    @max384, you're exactly right. I think I'm dealing with the original reason why the bike wouldn't fire in the first place. Like 99% of the threads on a bike that won't start, I went with a battery check and charge, and fuel pump, you know, the old Air-Fuel-Spark trifecta.
    The battery reinstall snafu scorched the 30A fuse*. After I replaced it, it now was back to what was the problem in the first place, that's why I pulled the plug, to see if it was throwing a spark when I cranked the bike.
    The plug looks good, it's just not throwing a spark when I crank the ignition.

*Correcting an earlier post. There aren't two 30A fuses at the starter relay, the one you can easily see is the spare, and the hidden one is the functional one. Nice engineering KTM.:huh