69 BSA bobber project...or...the cure for wintertime madness!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by YZman, Feb 8, 2009.

1. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    If you guys havent figured it out yet... Im posting like a mad man to keep the care bares from visiting me... Im getting a little loopy from...well the exersion of the day...and probably a little whiskey..but Im going to sleep once the gf wakes up damnitt!! :D
  2. LTW

LTW n00b

Oddometer:
    Shit! Looks like a whole lotta mess you've got going on there!! Nice trenches haha! So that'll be another job now, planting a bucketload of lawn seed! I've experienced the flooded septic tank ball-ache myself and it wasn't fun! Best of luck to you..

... And there's me saying I've never got time to work on my bike... Suddenly feel like the least preoccupied person ever! Think you've shamed me into some serious grafting this weekend.. My engine breakdown has ground to a halt, turns out my bantams previous owner, who "fully restored" it, didn't know much about bikes.. Looks like he went at all the internals with a hatchet...
  3. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    YZ Man - Okay, no more bitching about "When are we gonna see a finished bike" for awhile. Looks like you got your hands pretty full there!

Stay dry!
  4. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    OK so the roof is finished. Roofers came and finished it this morning. 2xanax and I slept thru it all. So that's one less thing to worry about. Just down to the basement and its slowing down too. There is an end in site.

I was this close to just saying fuck it all and walking away from it all. Then everybody showed up... its getting better. Were going to get thru this.
  5. limeymike

limeymike Bourbon Tester

Oddometer:
    But . . But . . Is the BSA OK? A staged world ending flood to get us off your back, nice try.

Seriously, having gone through something similar it really sucks. Good hope and thoughts coming your way.
  6. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    Its over finally. We got ahold of the right people and he saved the day. This has been 3 days of hell....

and yes the Bsa is fine... my Buddy manning the pumps actually got the wheel dialed in for me..sweet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. lobolator

lobolator Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need a French drain around the base of the foundation! I had the same problem with the spring melt raising the water table higher than my basement floor. I put the drain all the way around the house, now the spring melt ends up in my stream, not in my basement.

Love the build by the way! Can't wait to see it done.
  8. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    Thats exactly what we are doing. They are there today installing it actually (around here they call it a drain tile).

This is the last time we will be dealing with this water problem :clap
  9. Brian y

Brian y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you are getting it all worked out!
  10. c.herman126

c.herman126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HOLY CRAP. Glad to hear you're getting things sorted out. I hope you don't have any water damage inside the house.
  11. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    No water damage inside the house at all. We worked our ass's off to keep it that way. Using the shop vacs we pumped out 10,000 gallons of water. 6 gallons at a time every 3 minutes for 3 days straight 24 hours a day. Now thats a workout :lol3

yes I have a sump pump in the basement. But in order for water to reach the sump it has to pool up on the floor enough to waste the drywall and woodwork in the basement. We wernt going to let that happen.
  12. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    On the good side I now have a nice shop vac in my bike shop

[​IMG]
  13. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that's the case you might want to make a sump well one of your summer projects. I had to add one to our utility hole (dumbass PO of the house decided to put the water heater in the crawlspace and moving it would require a remodel of the bathroom) so the water heater wouldn't get underwater during heavy thunderstorms.
  14. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    We have a sump well I think. Its that 2' dia hole in the floor where the sump pump lives. Never looked in there as it has a fairly non removable cover on it ie Id have to disassemble some of the plumbing to get the cover off to see whats going on in there. Seeing as all the water we were getting was under the floor you would think the sump would of taken care of it. Im guessing that there isnt a drain tile system under the floor to direct the water to the sump. Or its plugged. The sump pump works. I know that. Some of our itilities drain into it and the sump pumps them out of the house from there (ie the water softner when it recharges) Why it isnt evacuating the water from under the house is a mystery. But like I said my guess is either there isnt a drain tile under the floor...or its plugged. Guess I should put pulling the sump well cover off on my project list for the summer so I can see whats going on down there.
  15. Packer

Packer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles YZ, glad to hear that many of them are behind you. Sound like that new lady in your life is a good one, splitting the load on pumping duties through the night.:clap

It's a bastard when you move into a new home and have something like a sump pump which you naturally expect to work. Next thing you know disaster, in your case a potential basement swimming pool:pissed

It will be all the sweeter when that 650 rumbles into life and you hit the road for some well earned R & R.

Now, when is it going to be roadworthy? I'm not daft enough to say finished, I've given up on that.:D
  16. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    :lol3 .... I know I know... :lol3

And I dont know. Gutter guy is at the house today installing new seamless aluminum gutters. One more thing to check off the list. Did I mention we just bought a duplex today? as if I didnt have enough to do... Now Im a slumlord too!
  17. Lolthatguy

Lolthatguy Has a Zombie House

Oddometer:
    I started reading this thread on Friday and I was hoping to see it end by the time I got to p.42
    Now, however, I get to wait and see how it all comes along step by step.
    Fantastic progress matey!!
  18. duckman

duckman co conspirator

Oddometer:
    i just found this long story, and flipped through the photos at work but i'll read the whole thing tonight when i'm home. i love the new shop and the bsa is cool as hell. i myself would have a hard time not re-building an all oem bike but thats just me. i envy your skills and patients.
  19. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    Did real actual work on the Beezer today. Finished truing the rear wheel. Installed a Motion Pro adhesive rim strip to protect the tube from the spokes. These things are sweet. I can see all my dirtbikes getting these. Then spooned on the tire using some new motion pro rim protectors so I don't scratch my aluminum rims. Worked killer.

[​IMG]
  20. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer: