The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So many people poo-poo the rifle from Italy but they are in fact pretty good rifles....the Italians have been making guns for 600years you would think they would have learned a thing or two.
  2. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    The only real problems with the Carcano was that there were so many BETTER rifles out there during that period. It wasn't that they were THAT bad.
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I think the high point of 6.5 military rifles, actually, maybe any military bolt action, would be the Swedish Mausers.

The Swedes took great care of them, and they're very accurate. When they first started importing them I picked up a beautiful carbine for $79.

Another "why the hell did I sell that?".
  4. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Sorry to mention this but Lee Harvey Oswald thought that a Carcano would do the job... :cry
  5. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:

I think I would depend on how you define better. I don't think the rifles are any better in terms of quality. I have been lucky enough to own every main bolt battle rifle of WWII and assuming the rifles are in like shape they are all about the same. Out of all the bolt battle rifles of WWII I like the French MAS 36 the best....seems to be the best made of all of them....but you would think it would be...being the last one designed, the French could look at all the other designs and take the best from all and put them in one. I also like my Type 99 another rifle that is written off as junk....or not as good as the others, as strong or whatever.

The other problem is getting the right sized bullet...so many shooting 265 out of a hole that is 268 and then griping about the rifle not being able to hit anything...well duh.
  6. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  7. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    In terms of functionality and durability, the best and only design still being made is the 98 Mauser. With it's non-rotating large extractor, the round is under complete control at all times. It's easy to completely field strip for cleaning, and can be disassembled without any tools. The Swedes stuck with the previous 96 version, which was much the same, but cocked on closing and didn't have the gas shield on the bolt sleeve.
  8. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    The question of the day is...how do you develop a load for a handgun that loves everything?

Nearly every load I tried this afternoon grouped like this...

[​IMG]
  9. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    What model is that? It looks like you're shooting a .45ACP with 200gr SWC. True?

The gun looks somewhat modern, but not exactly like a 625. And it's not of an old enough vintage like a 1917. I love blued revolvers. The only 625's that I've seen are stainless.
  10. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a Model 25 in .45 ACP. I bought it in the 1980s. It digests nearly everything just like that load above. That particular load used (you are correct) 200 gr SWC bullets. It grouped just as well with 155 SWC bullets (although they grouped about 3 inches lower) and 230 RN bullets (they grouped just a bit higher than the 200 gr SWC bullets). Like I said, it likes everything. All of the bullets are cast lead...I hardly ever shoot jacketed bullets (except for my rifles).
  11. HighAlpineDrifter

HighAlpineDrifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    She took my Barbie. I took her out in her backyard from 500 yards. Grassy knoll, bitch. Grassy knoll.

12. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl
  13. ReferJohn

ReferJohn 4th Gear pinned> you'll make it

Oddometer:
    Got this 1st week of April. Glock 22 GEN 3. Aleast I can get ammo for this.:1drink

[​IMG]
  14. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    :clap

:lol3

Great pic!

15. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Those are great guns, I had one for a while in the late 70s or early 80s, but sold/traded it for something else.....I can't even remember now. Mine would shoot anything too. I have had two 625s, a 5" Model of 1989 which I traded to my son (and he still has it) and a recent Performance Center 4" which is a great handgun.

You should put that up in Jurgen's "Church of the N-frame" thread, and there was also a revolver thread that I started a few years back, but both of those threads seem to have died. They could use a bump.

Here's the PC gun; sort of a different "look" from your classic M25.

[​IMG]
  16. Motor31

Motor31 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To answer your orignal question. If they all group like that, pick the load that puts the groups closest to your current point of aim at the distance you figure to shoot at. Load selection is basically done then. Just load, shoot and repeat. Work on making the groups smaller or extend the range a bit. Change your shooting stance, learn barricade shooting. Shoot for time. Get into competition with it and enjoy it even more. Stretch your comfort zone for shooting that little sweetheart.

Nice pistol BTW, I'd like to have one of those someday.
  17. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Nice group. I'd suggest drawing the circle 2 inches higher next try. That should fix things.:1drink
  18. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always wondered how people test that if they have to go somewhere to shoot. I just walk out my back door with 5 rounds and then walk back in and start loading or changing things depending on the outcome. Trying some lighter 8mm loads to try to be nicer to my G43...already had one extractor assembly depart the gun.....don't want to lose another and people have said that softer rounds will help. There is also an adjustable gas system that a guy makes, going to order that but it is about a month out.

I really love living in the country.
  19. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good one.
  20. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    The S&W .22 Kit Gun. Anybody have one of these wee beauties? They've become "prohibited" here in Canada thanks to our "Little Old Lady" hand gun fears. Anything with a 4" pr shorter tube is verboten! 4.0000001" is just like every other handgun, restricted. Is there another, perhaps 4.2" barrelled, DA .22 out there that could take it's place? I'm picking up a 4 5/8 " Ruger Single 10.....hope that will be a good alternative? Just want a cheap to feed little plinker.
    Lyle