The Compleat ATK thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gummee!, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    Call the ATK factory and ask for LEE. He is an expert on ATK's and his team has won multiple BITD and D37 championships on ATK 250LQ's and 605's. I believe they still race the 605.
  2. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Deal Of A Lifetime!

Sho' 'nuff?

----------------

2000 ATK 605. American bike with all the goodies. Olins rear shock, Paolli front forks, Brembo brakes and rotors, Talon hubs. Bought the bike a couple years back with intent to restore to showroom condition. Hard times are forcing the sale of this bike, it will go to the first $600. Bike is currently tagged and is street legal. Blue Florida title in hand and ready to sign over. I probably haven't messed with the bike in the last 6 months or so. It is kick and electric start, so maybe the battery is low on juice but a quick charge should be all thats needed to ride. Probably wouldn't hurt to drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it. I can also let the size 10 or 10 1/2 fox boots, fox gloves, brand new helmet, goggles and loading ramp go with the bike as well. I believe this is the largest displacement 4-stroke bike ATK has ever made, it is a monster. Feel free to call if you have any questions. $600 cash takes it, I don't have time for BS so serious inquires only ***-***-**** text are fine as well. Thanks for looking.

http://florida.findanycycle.com/motorcycles/atk-605-2000-600-deal-of-a-lifetime.html

----------------------

What do you think is wrong with it? Belt failure at high RPM (smashed valves)? Stripped Countershaft? Both?

I want a '99-'03 605 DSES in the worst way, and this one's within a few hours' drive from me, but I'm not even going to go take a look at it.
  3. davidmild

davidmild Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, First time post to this thread (I think) and I am hoping the collective wisdom can advise me on the above.

Has anyone fitted or definitely know what cush hub will fit a 1994 (twin loop frame) ATK 605DSES?

I have been in touch with Rad Mfg and they want my rear hub sent over (from Oz) before they will make a call on what may fit or if they need to make a hub. I don't mind buying the hub, in fact I really like the wedge set-up of the cush in the Rad compared to the O-rings in the (possible alternative) Talon, but sending the hub to the US and then back to Oz seems a bit drastic (I might have to do this yet). Someone must know the interchangeability of rear wheels into the 605. What other hubs/wheels will fit? Or is it a matter of finding something close and sort it out on the spacers?

One train of thoughts I had was checking if a KTM 640 or 690 rear hub fits and either using one of those or order a Rad cush to fit a 640/690 and then sort it out on the spacers. Can anyone help? Thanks.
  4. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    I've been reading the ATK forum at ATKmotorsports dot com for a while now, learning about 605's in particular. I'm registered on that forum, but it's been a bit of time now and my account still isn't activated... I'm not able to post, or even send messages to folks.

Does anyone here have an email address for ATKrider or any other of the big wheels on that forum? I just want to ask them to activate my account.

ATKrider doesn't have an email address listed on his profile, and I can't PM him since I can't log in.

Thanks for your help.

-Stretch
  5. Island Rider

Island Rider solo adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stretch
    The same things happened to me I've heard nothing from them for over 10 days.
  6. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    I've PM'd a couple guys here on ADV who are also long-standing members on the ATK forum. Perhaps they'll know how we can contact somebody.
  7. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    I sent a PM to the admin on the forum for you guy's. Low traffic and high spam might be the issue here but I'm not sure. Hopefully he can get you guy's taken care of :bmwrider
  8. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Brother! [​IMG]

-Stretch
  9. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    atk doesnt make anything exciting anymore,I believe they put there name on hyosungs or kymco made bikes.Would love to own one of them 700 2 strokes or stick that engine into a quad frame ,maybe there cannondale frame.
  10. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those people that believes ATK ended with the Rotax 605 in 03. Some believe ATK ended in 93....

11. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    I'd be quite happy with a 605 DSES from '94 to '03. With the conventional frame design of the '94-'95's, a Mad Scientist can fenangle some sort of aftermarket tank and luggage to get good ADV range. Not so much with the single-side frame and aluminum subframe on the '96 and up... you're stuck with the 3.6 gallon factory tank, of which about 3.0 is actually usable.

But since nearly 100% of my riding is singletrack trails after offloading the bike from a pickup... the 3-gal tank capacity isn't a deal-breaker for me.

I'm a Honda XR kind of guy, growing in my appreciation of simple air-cooled singles, but after 30 years of riding under my belt I'm growing tired of kickstarting. The 4T Rotax must be one of the most widely-produced big singles of all time, and has a great track record for reliability. Me wantee.

The top-quality (for its time) suspension and brakes are icing on the cake. Compared to my olde skoole mass-production cookie-cutter dual-sport 250s ('87 XL and '94 DR), a hand-built ATK is a max-radoo custom-built trail muncher made of chocolate rainbows and anti-gravity unicorns.
  12. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im glad some one agrees w me on something and Im finally right about something:lol3ANyway does atk still make the maico breako 2 smoke big bore mills? If I ever got one it be for the coal hills in PA as there is no place to ride anything off road in peoples communist republic of nj.WE can have dual sports but that was almost taken off the list too.I think the same aholes who have an agenda of land grab in the west also write the rules and policy for NJ.
  13. rustyutah

rustyutah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To the guys who are waiting to get accounts on the atk site; this is atkrider. We had a spammer get loose and I had to lock things down for a while. I am working full time and going to schools so my time is limited, but I try to help out on the ATK site when I have time. Be patient, it may take a while but I will try to activate your accounts. I just don't want to give a spammer access.
  14. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Okay, that's reasonable. When the time is appropriate... I'm Stretch, Member 1114, registered on November 23rd.

Thanks for checking on us. :freaky
  15. Island Rider

Island Rider solo adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, thanks rustyutah.
  16. macrae85

macrae85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My ATK605.......it's seized on first start as the clown i'd bought i off (English bloke living
    in Sidney,Montana) hadn't bled the oil from the frame to the engine.
    Awaiting Porter Brothers in England finalising there move,as i'm wanting their billet casing
    set to fit a Ducati 916 gearbox into (that means a slipper clutch can be used!).P.B. are
    pushing over 90BHP(NINETY!!!) out of the 604/605 engine! I reckon that could still win
    supermoto races even though it's nearly 20yrs old,abeit a fork and brake update!
    Going to ship the bike to Scotland next year,but it'll definitely be used in some form
    again.......needing to grow longer legs though!
    [​IMG]
  17. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I ride a plated 99 490 Enduro. Needs tires. What do you run? I did just order a Pirelli MT43 trials tire for the rear and a Pirelli Scorpion Pro F.I.M. for the front. Will install Saturday.
  18. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Theres another company called ADB that sells the old Rotax style mills n bikes like the 605,I think some of there bikes are old stock atks w the rear brake on the countershaft.I dont see many of these for sale by me.Either they werent made in big numbers or people who have them know a good thing what they have and arent selling em.Ive seen the 406s and L_C 250-260s for sale.Always wanted a 406 but being there is no legal areas in NJ its pointless to have any dirtbike here.thats not street legal.
  19. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    I took my ATK out for some fun yesterday. Love this bike.

After one tip over I got a continous drip from the carb overflow tube. Need to pull the bowl bottom off and see if the float got stuck somehow. Other then that, the bike was flawless.

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun! That's just what this thread needed--more action photo's :clap