Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a Coyote, it's fantastic. Lots of room, very solid on the bike, very little frontal footprint.

They are on sale at atomic moto for about $250 w/free shipping right now. I think rocky mountain had a deal too.
  2. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I've read the how to on lowering my stock suspension, and seen some settings on how to get it set up for better riding (high fives settings). But I cannot find a how to on it. I found the actual settings in the post below, but does someone have a how to with pics or video to show me HOW to put these settings into place? I have already lowered the stock front and rear. I'm simply looking to get the rebound, dampening, etc set up right for my 155 pound body at this point so bumps will stop wanting to buck me off like a raging bull. Thanks.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9964238&postcount=4628
  3. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at this link?

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16397019&postcount=23371

Personally, I'm going to do what ThinAir talks about here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20594951&postcount=22

When I get a Wrr that is :)
  4. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
  5. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
  8. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I really don't know what to do, but will probably go with Wolfman bag and try to keep inexpensive stuff in them. I have trips planned that will involve me doing a variety of things, such as; see a band in another city who won't come to SLC (jerks), go to the aquarium in Atlanta & the Smithsonian in DC, park at a trail head & hike a summit over 2 days, and ride to Tierra del Fuego. But on the way to and from these things, and also while I'm here, I want to be riding on dirt as often as possible. I'm still thinking about the 13L hard cases at Happy Trails, but again, will probably go with soft panniers & a lockable topbox.

If you can somehow manage to look to the pannier in this pic below (if you can't, I totally understand), you can see what appears to be a cable locking the bag to the bike. That might be a similar level deterant to the one you found, slightly stealthier though - you probably can't even see it :evil

[​IMG]

* pic from the Sibersky Extreme RR.
  9. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a PacSafe cable lock.

Dyslexics untie!
  10. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the value of these boxes and I am not a fan of hard cases on dual sports at all after a nice get off on my KLR and mermites. Could have really tore my leg up.

Cable locks may work, but if it's left alone I would not trust it..I mean anyone not to mess with it. A small/cheap top box would be the best bet even though they are ugly.
  11. Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench Pick Your Tool

Oddometer:
    oldtrucks, just curious what led you to suspect the relay unit...it seems all the things that don't work are all on the same fuse: 10A signal fuse...it feeds all that you listed, even the power to the start relay and the console...I would recheck that fuse and the associated wiring (the brown wire) which goes to everything you lost...
  12. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I believe there is a fuse in the headlight shroud. I've been meaning to go poking around so i know where to look should i have any issues, but haven't done it yet. Maybe someone can chime in...

13. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Hey, do any of the WRR/WRX owners have a TCI Sequoia or TCI Denali rack they want to get rid of?

I had Sequoia rack on my Husky TE610 and really liked it, plus my wife has one on her XT225 that she enjoys. They seem to be pretty nice and stout racks.
  14. amtz.zero

amtz.zero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These questions are for the people who have gone up to a 46 tooth rear sprocket.

Did your overall top speed decrease?

What is riding on the freeway like now? The dirt?

Are 1st and 2nd gears even shorter now?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am contemplating putting a 46t sprocket on my bike and I don't want to regret it. Thanks for any replies.
  15. goroka

goroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Not sure if this helps:

I run a 48 tooth rear and 13 tooth front. According to my GPS I deduct 14.4% from the bike reading to get a true road speed/distance. At 100km/h indicated I am doing about 84km/h. (About 60mph gives about 51 mph)

Most of my riding is off road so this isnt an issue - when I am on the open road I have to be sitting on about 117km/h to be doing 100km/h. Result is that I am aware that I am running that much higher in revs. As far as 1st and 2nd gear is concerned I find that the gearing suits me fine in the hills that I ride in. Yes - they will be shorter - I think 2nd now is probably closer to first with standard gearing just based on feel.

Cheers
  16. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    Need a good laugh??? Read the following quote from the CRFL owners thread. :rofl

Follow the link and share your thoughts... :deal It's only fair.... :lol3

:beer
  17. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:

I would particularly like to hear your thoughts on the price points of these two bikes. Does Yamaha need to lower the MSRP of the WRR? If so, by how much?
  18. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

Why would Yamaha need to lower it's price point. It is designed to compete with KTM's and such. The price point is right on the money.

The CRF250L is a parts bin bike made to compete against the Yamaha XT and be an entry level dual sport bike. It's price point is is right on the money for the bikes that compete for that market segment.

They are both properly priced to compete with bikes in there market segments.

:1drink
  19. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Could one you WR heads tell me if there is any real difference between a 2002 WR 250F and WR 250 R besides the F.I.,electric start and being street legal?
  20. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    They are two different models made from different parts, but the Yamaha marketing team gave them similar names.

I owned a 2008 WR-250R (and a 2008 WR-250X).
    I now own and ride a 2002 WR-250F.

What do you want to know about the bikes?