the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. AGIANT

AGIANT n00b

Oddometer:
    At home I use a milk crate, but I would like to have a center stand for when I'm traveling.
  2. jungleplant

jungleplant www.manracks.com mike@manracks.com

Oddometer:
    last time i spoke to mike he was golfing alot, but email him
    maybe you can get him off the links

CigarMikes@gmail.com
  3. juliandres

juliandres Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

Anyone know where I can get a service manual for a 2003 dr 200? my dr200 didn't come with one and the seller is now ignoring my messages and calls when I ask for it:huh

So yeah if anyone knows where I can get a manual, whether it be a pdf or something I'd rather not pay money but I will if i have to ! Thanks!
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I just bought the Suzuki Service manual from my dealer. I always buy the service manuals for all our vehicles, they pretty much pay for themselves in the first service, and being hours away from any dealer I do all my own servicing, so the manual is just another tool I need.
  5. AGIANT

AGIANT n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already contacted him and he does not make one for the Dr200. He did suggest http://www.endurostar.com/
  6. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    here's a new issue - when the bike's been parked for a week (with the gas in the "off" position), tilted a bit sideways on the kickstand...then I stand the bike up straight again to roll it around, a piss worth amount of gas drains from the air box

wtf is that?

the first thing I'd guess is the float valve is stuck open, and gas fills the carb, overflows, then drains into the airbox

but how would that happen if the manual petcock is in the "off" position?
  7. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the petcock might be worn out and it allows a trickle of fuel even when "off."
  8. voodoo child

voodoo child Instigator Emeritus

Oddometer:
  9. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:

"Off" Position? I never knew a DR200 to have an "off" position. Do you have a non-stock petcock?
  10. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

I just recently purchased mine, but I believe it has three positions, up for reserve, down for normal riding, and horizontal for prime. If I understand correctly, when left in the prime position with a faulty float, the tank might empty through the carb and could possible fill the crankcase with fuel.

If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

11. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    The winter project: Replace the rear fender and the donkey nose tail light. As an added bonus, I have a heck of time keep turn signals operational when I had to extend them to make the Happy Trail rail work.

The Starting Point:
    Bent extended turn signals, with broken bulb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remove the side panels and the seat. Now trace the wires to unplug them. Lift up on the tab to release the plug. Label the left and right turn signals, as this project might take a while
    [​IMG]

Now find the tail/stop connector (white) and unplug it
    [​IMG]

Loosen the re-useable zip tie
    [​IMG]

Just pull up on the tooth to release it (this is not the correct zip tie, but shows how to release it)
    [​IMG]

Push the wires through this slot in the inner fender
    [​IMG]

Remove the other 6 bolts holding the fender on

The parts:
    Part 1: I bought a Maier MX fender for a DR250/350. I am cautious that this may be an $60 experiment, as the portion on the DR200 is almost an odd 3/4 frame size. None the less, P/N Maier MX Style Rear Fender Yellow 170034 is bought.

Part 2: I bought the Suzuki DRZ400 DRC Red Edge2 Tail Light / Turn Signal & Upgrade Processor Board which should be stop, tail, license plate and integrated blinkers.

The first mock-up comparison of the fenders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first cut is always the hardest...or so they say.
    So, let's start at the muffler:
    [​IMG]

Maybe?
    [​IMG]

For some reason this photo looks to overhang, but I think some of it is the camera angle
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, still don't have it mounted. And I am not convinced this is the correct fender. Stay tuned...
  12. ridenfly

ridenfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently acquired a 1987 sp200 and am in the restoring process. Following the forum indicates a need for bigger main jet and adjustable needle. I live in CO at 7800 ft and question if richer jetting is required. My thought though is I have the carb off and apart this would be the time to make the changes. I would like to know the size of Keintec jet.
  13. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So, I got a bit in over my head and decided that it was time to buy another fender. In the meantime, I left the project unattended, and hubby decided to give it a whack:

The fender is now bolted in place. It has good placement over the wheel to optimize between getting broke off and keeping the mud down.
    [​IMG]

trimmed the flanges
    [​IMG]

the fender now props up the inner fender from the bottom. The inner fender bolts are the only two that can't be aligned to be used. Might need to fill the corner gaps to prevent mud spray?
    [​IMG]

The quandary now is how to mount up the light. It seems that the arc of the fender is a bit too steep and the light doesn't have good clearance. One option is to shim the tail light. Option 2 is wait for the next fender to arrive tomorrow.
  14. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have enough tools in the shed to fab up a perch for your new light. Bend up some thin steel or aluminum or weld up something. Post a pic of the light your using and it's mounting points and I'm sure team dr200 thread could figure something out.
  15. juliandres

juliandres Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, about to order a new rear tire for my dr200. I have checked everywhere on my current rear tire but I cannot find the size... I am pretty sure it is the stock size, if thats the case what size tire is it?
  16. 75monza

75monza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Conman

Conman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:

Check post #2 of this thread for more tire options.
  19. LumberingJack

LumberingJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morning all,

Still having fun with my 200 and it's high RPM surging. It's a 2000 DR125se but fitted with a 1994 DR200se Djebel (japanese market) motor.

It was running fine until I hit some deep water. Swapped for a fresh plug and it went fine again for about 5 minutes then started this surging.

Originally it wouldn't rev above half throttle but over time it's got a bit better and will ride all day at about 3/4 throttle.

It didn't look to hve ingested any water, more sprayed up at the electrics under the tank. I'm dubious that it might have damaged the CDI as tht was still clean/dry and there was no sign of water in the oil to have got to the stator.

I'm 99% certain the carb is clean (have done it three times since), I've checked and cleaned every connection and earth, disconnected/bypassed every safety switch at some stage and even just fitted a brand new coil and it's no better.

It seems to be RPM related rather than throttle position related too.

Pulls fine from the bottom and most of the mid but once it gets quite high it's surging. I can hold the throttle wide open and it just surges and bounces, it won't rev through it at all.

I'm a bit baffled now.
  20. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So the first fender for the DR250/350 was believed to be a bit too big. So, I bought a fender for a RM80. As soon as the box came out of the mailbox, I knew it would not be the one. :nah Now, I feel like I am buying Cinderella shoes and that one's too big...this one's too small. It's wicked short and much narrower than the frame.

But in the meantime, I think I am over another hurdle with mounting the tail light on the DR250/350. So, more pics and hopefully more progress this weekend.

And in the meantime, time to go look for more fender options :wink: