Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Mulekick

Mulekick 2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer:

:clap

:lol3
  2. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    So it seems I found a little more information on brands and where they're made, etc. (if you weren't following this thread there was some debate on exactly where some brands manufacture their top models).

I was under the assumption that all Cannondale's CF bikes were made in china, but their high end AL bikes were made here.

Well I was told by someone in the industry who visited the factory and watched them being built, that the Cannondale CF System Six is made here, in Pennsylvania to be exact. So is the Six 13.
    (BTW this someone is another ADVrider member)

Guess it don't amount to a hill of beans, but it came up awhile ago so.

:1drink

It's pouring here, when it clears I'm hitting the Basso again. The triple shifter with the double crank and derailleur isn't working out well, no matter how many times I've tuned it. Chain comes off on both low and high end if I'm not carefully watching it. Constant "skuff, skuff, skuff"..:huh
  3. card

card ?

Oddometer:
    Specialized has a pad you sit on that shows the indentions of your hip bones. They measure the distance and pick the saddle that fits your ass. Break in??------I really didn't find a period of time when the saddle was NOT comfortable on rides less than 4 hours. Over four hours, I start squirming around some, but not bad.
  4. thencamebronson

thencamebronson Takin' a trip?

Oddometer:
    I just spent a week in Italy. I was stationed in Vicenza in the early 90's and have wanted to go back for years. Finally took the time and did it! No wonder it is such a great country, everyone rides a bicycle! Didn't get to ride unless you count my friends mtb following his son to school one morning. I did ride his Guzzi through the Dolomites, I'll put that in ride reports later. Anyway, some bike pics:

A Bundespost electric assist bike, Mrs TCB in the background. Taken outside the Munich Hauptbahnhof:
    [​IMG]

Downtown Vicenza:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The center of the known universe:

[​IMG]

Damn, I got old quick!

[​IMG]
  5. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Great pics TCB:clap
  6. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    I think I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread that I was gonna get a recumbent tadpole. It's been somewhat of a nightmare, but I finally have it.
    Pretty neat little machine but it is the first one my local dealer has sold. I helped him get it going and we made every damn mistake in the book. We cut the cables too short, we didn't properly adjust the derailer. And then we had so much trouble with the disk brakes that I finally just upgraded to some new Avids. Mucho differencio! With 24 gears I can pretty much do everything from climb trees to breaking speed records (as long as it ain't uphill).

So I have had it a couple months now and am getting pretty familiar with how it works. But with every new toy comes a moment or two of complete "oh shit!"

I took it out to the state fair grounds last Tuesday and really gave her hell. Then it bit me right in the ass...........I was rounding a corner in top gear, goin like the wind when the inside front wheel came up a little bit. No big deal, I've had her on two wheels several times. It's kinda fun actually and usually stable as heck that way. But there I was- one wheel up in the air at about 25mph when I realized I was aimed at about a 7 inch curb. I fed in a bit more steering and the inside wheel came up a little more, but I was still headed for that damned curb. Little more steering and now I got that wheel higher than I ever had it before, "damn", here comes the curb. I envisioned a 20 wheel taco'ed beyond belief by said curb and decided just to dump it over. I hit the curb as the bike slid on one wheel hub and the rear rack for about 50 feet. That curb stopped me in less than 6 inches (in other words, the thickness of my ass). I ain't had road rash like this in a good 30 years. Guess I got lucky cause I only got it on my right palm and forearm. Just a light skinnin of my ankle. I was riding in shorts, tee shirt, and my bike helmet. The helmet ain't got a scratch.
  7. card

card ?

Oddometer:
    Looks like you married up also!

:hide
  8. thencamebronson

thencamebronson Takin' a trip?

Oddometer:
    No question about that :wink:
  9. card

card ?

Oddometer:
    Great pics you shared w/us! :thumb
  10. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    DFL baybee!

Yup :nod did the next 'cross race in the season Sunday. Man, what a(nother) display of my fatness. :cry DFL but I only got lapped once.

I DID finish tho! :ricky There were guys on course with taco'd front wheels. :umph Guess the two dropoffs got a few guys. :nod

Plan B was there taking pics of his kids' races, but I haven't seen him posting recently, so I don't know if he'll post pics here. :dunno

In short: I don't have any top end. :nah I can maintain a certain level, but it ain't anywhere NEAR enough to be competetive in a cross race. Conditioning ain't there. 'Course, I ain't been training all summer like most of these guys either. :bluduh

Course was fun. Some road, some technical stuff, some flat stuff, and a long-ish runup. Better'n last week. I ran my new 30c Tufos I got from Plan B. :ricky MUCH mo bettah. :nod 'Course, the Schwalbes I ran last week were under inflated... :dunno

I don't remember if I'm working next weekend or not. I hear the Surf City 'cross season is starting next weekend. :clap

M
  11. Chacifer

Chacifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    How long are the cross races? how many miles? how long does it take the winner to finish? how long did it take you to finish? (you don't have to share that if you don't want)
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Cross races are timed events. The longest I've seen are the Pro/1/2 (A) category and they race for an hour. The races I usually do go ~45min.

I was a lap down, so if I'd ridden the last lap, I'da been ~10-12min down. I didn't cause I was finished. Stick a fork in my legs. No mas energy left. :nah

M
  13. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    Cross races are held on a fairly short obstacle course. You go 'round and 'round for 45 mins or an hour depending on the category, he who does the most laps wins. Theres obstacles where you can either ride or jump off and carry/toss the bike over, and sometimes its a tosser which is faster. There's usually a short steep up and down section, some deep mud puddles, some jumps/drops. Almost always done in the winter around here because its all about the mud.

Beginners use lightweight hardtail mountain bikes, intermediate and advance use modified road bikes with relatively fat tires (30c?). Sometimes they have no front deraileur, instead using chain keeper rollers similar to downhill bikes so you can't throw the chain.

Here's a modern purpose built 'cross bike...
    [​IMG]
    (Specialized Tricross Comp)
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I have a cross bike I might sell? Never been raced and not a scratch.

Ritchey Swiss Cross. It's such a nice frame, I hate to get rid of it, but I just don't ride it much.

[​IMG]
  15. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Bumpity...

So no shit, there I was. JRA at the back of the lunch ride pack today 'cause I didn't hafta be at PI till 1330. I went out for a spin before meeting up with los guys 'cause I knew I was gonna hafta hit the first hard section and bail. I moved to the ass end of the pack so as not to screw anyone else up.

Guy behind me gets the wave to go 'round 'cause the pace just hotted up and I don't want him to get dropped when I blow up spectacularly again.

Next thing I hear is the unmistakeable sound of bike and rider sliding along the pavement.

WTF?!! :confused

I have not a clue WTF just happened, but I DO know that there's a rider that just went down at better'n 25 mph. I turned around to see if he was OK. Seemed to be...

Evidently he wrapped/lost/something'd his chain and it locked up the rear wheel. Ugh. NO bueno!

I couldn't really do anything for him and I didn't particularly wanna keep going in the pack even tho I didn't have anything to do with the accident so I motored back home.

I HATE it when guys go down for no apparent reason! 'Course hindsight being 20-20, he shoulda made sure that the gear he was running was workin right too! ESPECIALLY before a fast ride like the Lunch Ride is!

Oh well. Next time I'll get to ride with em a little longer.

Things are going better. More miles = more fitness. Weight's coming off slowly. Yay :rayof Legs are looking better. More importantly, they're FEELING better!

I may be able to make the Surf City 'cross race at the end of the month, but nothing till then. :cry

M
  16. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Good for you Gummee, sounds like you're back in action.
  17. dtsv650r

dtsv650r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where can you get Z-rated sew-ups?

[​IMG]
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Page SIX???!!!

:bluduh

Slackers! I go slaving away at the Pearl Izumi outlet and y'all let this slip to P6?

:umph

I'm fixin to slip on my runnin shoes, grab some $$ and go run to the Super Taqueria and get me a Mexican Gut Bomb (tm) for din-din. Stick Me just left for work so I'm bachin it again tonite. :cry

Oh, and its raining! Whoda thunk it?!

M
  19. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    yeah, in less than 12 hours. scary, eh?

been raining lightly but steadily here in 'scruz since about 4pm.
  20. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

Hey I tried baiting w the Canondale's Systm 6 being made in Pennsylvania but no bites?