Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    Cudos Frank, thanks for taking care of Mark.

Terry
  2. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    First! Thanks to Frank:clap:clap I am in Guatemala City.

I just arrived at my hotel after the 4 hour drive with my bike in the back of a Pick Up that BMW Guatemala set up for me. Richardo and his family got up really early drove to Coban to pick me and my bike up, then return to Guata.:clap

The BMW dealer took a brief look, and will not be able to really take a look until Monday. The engine case is certainly cracked, we will see if they think it can be welded..... They have done others and have a really good welding shop.

So now I need to wait until they have a chance to take a look. Then see what decisions I will need to make. Frank also has some thoughts about another shop if BMW cannot fix it..... There are options. Have had more than a few suggest JB weld or the like, and that might be my fix for now.

So with time on my hands.... I had already planned to be in Antigua (that is where I was riding to when things changed)

So thanks Pete, That is my plan. Get to Antigua tomorrow. Frank is setting something up for me......

Have a hotel set up, and will check out Spanish Schools and hopefully will start on Monday... there are a few other things to see and do in the area as well. Time will not be wasted for me.

"Stayed tuned to "as the world turns......."
  3. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:

+1. I love to see the world wide motorcycle community in action.
  4. BOBaloo22

BOBaloo22 Tony & Catnis

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark, been folowing from the get go, sorry to hear about your spill. Glad you're going to be ok.
    Via Con Dios
    Bob
  5. bsscooter

bsscooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark,
    I have really enjoyed your report and am glad you're ok. A get off close to home is bad enough but in Guatemala! Wow! Your are an inspiration to us here in the cold of Mid-America. Keep in mind, "we know that all things work for good......"
  6. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    Mark, glad to read that you are OK from your get off. Crashing just isn't any fun, and while mine have been on bicycles (not yet on the moto - and I am not planning anytime soon), it's good to see that your injuries are minor. The time off in Antigua sounds like a wonderful idea. I have been kicking around the idea of learning more Spanish and luckily I have a personal tutor - my college aged daughter who is getting a degree in Spanish! :y0!

Good luck on the repair of the BMW. As others like to say here..."That'll buff out!" :lol3
  7. Radioman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Have been replaying the get off in my mind. Target fixation... Do not think so as I was into the deep ditch prior to the rock.

I spoke with Frank today as he picked me up at the dealer. He said the roads in that area are made with crushed rock from the area that is very slippery :deal and with a downhill left hander, sloping toward the ditch....... I probably did not "throttle out like I normally would".

It all happens very fast. I have 175,000 Miles of street riding in the past 6 years.... Never gone down on road until now :D

Yes I agree that the engine guard attach points into the lower engine block is a really bad design, but the F800 has no frame down low to attach to..... If you hit your crash guard, BMW or Aftermarket, the same thing happens.:eek1 the rock was in the right place at the wrong time :eek Of course if it covered the ditch, I would have much more bike damage, and maybe more Radioman damage as well. Will get things sorted out in the next week on the bike....one way or another.

The lower engine case is certainly damaged ...... We know how long that could take, but I am hoping that once it is taken apart.... someone will be able to weld the breaks and get me back on the road. Will not know until next Tuesday.

Time to get started on more Spanish classes :D
  8. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed your posts and the pictures, sorry about your accident. Hope you get things sorted out soon, but sounds like you are making the best of it. Never hurts to learn a little more language that you can use, on the rest of your trip. Good luck keep your good attitude, that is the most important thing. It is an experience, so make th best of it.
  9. GoinPostal

GoinPostal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark, after reading Franks comments about tires and road condtions in Guatemala I was wondering what you plan on doing about that sliced tire on your bike. Are you going to try and replace it with a street or dualsport/ offroad tire? What about road conditions further south?
  10. wjpjump

wjpjump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heal up. Good luck with the bike. Glad you weren't more severly injured
  11. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    yeah, I think the rock saved you and the bike, by bouncing you out of the gutter and back into the road........now if a truck was riding your ass, maybe not so good, but if you would have dropped into the lower gully, you could have done a "high sider " which most likely would cause some frame bending to rider and machine......... on the full side of the glass.... the kids will be happy to hear you're going back to school :clap

I'm a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason".........go with the flow. Oh, one of the kids wanted to know if you were going to get a Christmas tree for your hotel room..............
  12. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 Depending on where I will be.... but will have to settle for Christmas trees and decorations all over the towns.

and I agree if the rock had blocked my path it could have been much worse. Unfortunately it did damage the engine case.... depending on what it looks like when they pull off the guards, and see how bad it is.....:deal But will not know until Tuesday....:huh
  13. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I will replace it with another tire, but have not yet decided what is available here. I will go with a dual sport tire.... It is always the same Tire life, grip of the tire, and price. They have Continentals at the dealer, but TKC's wear fast (not too bad in the front though). I have been hauling my spare rear Heidenau which I will put on somewhere soon.

Road conditions in central america and south will be a mix of pavement and rough gravel/dirt. I am more comfortable with the idea of a knobbie of some type.
  14. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Morning Mark!

Later on, you might contact Misery Goat for some tire info. He's been riding around in SA for a year and a half. Here's his on-going ride report.
  15. sector

sector Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark! Sorry for your mishap!! Best of luck in healing and getting the bike fixed!!
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I have followed him. I saw how long he rides on his tires :eek1
  17. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Glad that you were not too baly banged up. That is one awful design for guards, might be better without them? Or modify them somehow? I hope the case is not FUBAR.
  18. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I agree. If I had just slid down the road it would have been ok, but front impact is bad. It might just be the right outside cover that is damaged but will not know until it gets taken apart....... Hopefully that is it.

Will just have to keep it upright from now on :)
  19. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :thumb
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :lol3