Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. surferbum

surferbum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Any news? Might've missed it.
  2. NestorK

NestorK Artiface Artisan

Oddometer:
    The version that accepts software updates will have a mini-usb port and matching power cord. The older version will have a simple round jack.
  3. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    You ordered the right one - it'll do a 4-way conference with the latest software that you'll have to download from Sena's support site. The SMH5 is 1-to-1 communication only and has a shorter bike-to-bike range.
    Yup - you shoulda -- 'cause you'd've had enough money left in your pocket for an entire trip's worth of :beer.
  4. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    ok with the new software how do you talk with everyone at the same time?
  5. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See pages 14 and 26 of the new manual. Here's an excerpt from page 26:

15.1 Start Four-way Intercom
    You can have four-way conference intercom with three other SMH10 users by adding one more intercom participant to the three-way intercom. While you are having three-way intercom as above in section 14.1, a new participant (D), who is an intercom friend of your intercom friend (C), may join the conference intercom by making an intercom call to your intercom friend (C). Please note that in this case, the new participant (D) is an intercom friend of (C), not of you (A).
  6. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    That's all clear then. :rofl

Can anyone describe how it works in practice a little better?
  7. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I just spring for something as a test more than anything, but it will be cool if it works out.

I ordered up the Sena SR10 module that will let me hook up my Yaesu Ham radio and radar detector to the SMH10 without running any chords to the helmet.

If it all works I would have access to intercom, music, GPS, radar detector, and Ham radio all with no wires to the helmet.

COOL! :clap

Marc
  8. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't done 3- or 4-way yet, but the instructions are not as nasty as they sound -- I think [g].

If you are A, then you pair to B, then pair to C. For 3-way, you call B and then C calls you and you are all connected.

For 4-way, you pair to B and C per above, but C pairs with D. With a 3-way in progress, D calls C and all four of you are connected.

For further details I refer you to the Three Stooges episode in which the boys sing, "B-A bay, B-E bee, B-I bicky-bye, B-O bo..."

http://youtu.be/pP3VAtGLQms

-dan
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Are you listening to the music via blue tooth?
  10. Lomax

Oddometer:
    Here is my understanding ?? It seems like it would work IF you can remember all the steps.

1. Pair your SMH10 to two other units. You would be A they would be B and C

2. Tap the jog dial to initiate intercom between A and B.

3. Have C tap his jog dial to pair with you. So B is linked to A and C is linked to A.

You should now have a three way conversation going.

If a fourth person wishes to join in they will need to pair with either B or C.

Well I confused myself anyway. :lol3

DOH! 205'd by the post above.

Marc
  11. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    No, I'm connected via cable, my wife's on the non USB SMH10 and her music's connected via Bluetooth and works fine, as mine did before I got the upgrade to the USB SMH10.
  12. Pardus

Pardus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried mine yesterday. My buddy pussed out so I didn't get to try the intercom but I tried it with my phone. The audio was pretty low. I had a hard time hearing but she said she could hear me perfectly and could barely tell I was on the bike.

Based on all the reviews I am assuming I'm doing something wrong because I've heard the volume is normally great. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the audio please let me know.

I'm using the headset in a Shoei Hornet and I wear earplugs. The speakers are attached to the inside of the shell with the adhesive velcro patches.

OK, I think I solved my own problem. False alarm. It's very, very loud now.
  13. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I'm having trouble finding the latest manual with the new upgrades - could someone please post a link or attach a pdf of it for me?
  14. Lomax

Oddometer:
    PM sent.

Marc
  15. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. SaharaJp99

SaharaJp99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if this bluetooth transmitter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-T...ngle-mp3-cell-3-5-mm-/140719037107#vi-content can be paired with the multi-pairing HFP profile? I got v4 uploaded and everything is working properly, and I want to get my radar detector in the mix. What I was thinking is pairing my iphone to my zumo 665(don't need music from the iphone as zumo has XM, and pairing the zumo 665 as the "phone and media", then if possible, pair this thing as the "other" hfp profile, while being pluged in to my radar detector. I realize the SR10 will do what I'm looking for, but I don't have the need for all the features of the SR10, so if this will work and get me what I need for $35 bucks I think that may be the way to go. So basically, will this thing pair on the same channel that the SR10 does?

Thanks.
  17. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Sahara...

I'm no expert -- just learning about all this BT voodoo -- but I think there are two things that will prevent your plan from working.

First, the dongle you link to has this in its description: "Compatible & seamless transmit via Bluetooth A2DP to headsets and Bluetooth A2DP speakers etc" No HFP. Most aftermarket dongles are this way.

Second, I've only seen one or two reports of anyone getting a zumo 6xx to pair with the SMH10 if anything else is paired to the SMH10. It keeps dropping the connection and the one or two reports lack follow-up when asked if that is happening.

There are two reasons the SR10 works. First is it uses HFP. Second, you can plug the zumo into it, eliminating the somewhat flaky Garmin BT setup.

For your needs, I'd be tempted to buy an SR10 and plug the radar and iPhone into it. That will limit your iPhone to very basic phone functions, but you can then use the zumo for all the XM and music stuff as well as nav. Or wait for Sena's new SM10 which is supposed to handle stereo connections.

-dan
  18. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
  19. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    What you are going to need for this is one of the older BT dongles that came out for cell phones before BT became standard on them. Problem is most of them are discontinued, so aren't as easy to find.

Two of them which I currently own and are familiar with are the Jabra A210 and the Cardo BTA II. Both of them are BT adapters for no bluetooth phones so they support the HFP profile only. You might watch ebay and see if one pops up or something. The Jabra model has become popular with the ham guys as they are hook it to their radio's and using a BT ear piece to talk hands free on their ham radio's. Some times you'll get lucky and see them on ebay for $30-$40.
  20. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Or get an SR10 :) connects to your SMH10 with HFP, 2 mono inputs for stuff like radar detectors, GPS, etc. Plus buy a 20.00 cable and you can run a FRS/GMRS walkie talkie.