2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. kpmsprtd

kpmsprtd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning on purchasing the CB1100, not in the initial rush in March/April, but the following winter. Spent a lot of time with it today at the San Mateo, California bike show. It represents everything I want in a motorcycle. The red paint is even darker and more beautiful than I expected based on Internet photos. Seating position seems perfect based on multiple sits, but no ride. Demo rides by Harley, Yamaha, and Can-Am only.
  2. Knave

Knave Calmer than you are

Oddometer:

How tall are you? It looks a little cramped for a taller guy to me. Thanks.
  3. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you take any pictures at the show you could post for us to see? I'd love to see one in person. I'm getting the first one my dealer gets. March/April sounds like a long time to wait.
  4. Tod.

Tod. Old, but up for it

Oddometer:
    I had a look at these 1100s at the cologne show last month, Bloody hell the looked small, low seat etc. I`m a shortarse and I thought they`d even fit me!
    [​IMG]

The finish of the old style candy red paint was beautiful.

[​IMG]
  5. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only seen the pics, but I Iike this bike. The probable short range is a problem, but otherwise it pushes a lot of buttons. I see it as a direct competitor to the Bonneville more than anything else.
  6. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great pictures. That red reminds me of the red tank on my new 1968 Norton P11A Ranger. Simply beautiful.
  7. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Tough choice between the CB and one of these:

[​IMG]

Very different performance specs and a different way of providing the same kind of retro experience, but fun looking nonetheless. I love the V7 racer, but my middle aged body unfortunately doesn't. The Stone with the cast wheels is my 2nd choice.
  8. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    The small size is my biggest concern as well. I'm waiting to try one on before I get too excited, but it's such a pretty bike. Compared to those V7's it makes them look like garden tractors in comparison. I'd love to see honda get back in the game with some really cool bikes - a VFR1200 engined standard like the old V65 Sabre from back in the day would be sweet. The V motor causes the bike to be a bit taller and roomier, and the V motor! Oh man...without a doubt the best street motorcycle engine ever created is the old V4's from the early 80's....:norton
  9. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must be planning some remote travels. Don't worry about needing more than 75-100 miles of tank range most any place in the US, including Utah and Nevada. Even the lonesome Nevada HWY 50 has gas every 100 miles.

Art
  10. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short range is ok for riders who only ride in known areas where they know where and when fuel is available or for those that only commute or maybe those who stick to major highways and well planned routes.

I don't like riding major highways and try to avoid cities. I hate having to detour to get gas.

I've owned two bikes with short ranges. I liked them both a lot, but the short range was a PIA. I often had to stop at 50 or 75 miles to fuel up to have enough to make the next leg. Most of the time I don't have a set route in mind when touring, just a general direction. Its a bummer to have to pass up a spur of the moment detour because you don't know if Eyeball Arkansas has a staion or not.

As for the "I'm ready to take a break at 100 miles anyway crowd" I can always find better, more scenic places to take a break than a gas station.

To each his own.
  11. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fyi - 75 mpg

12. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    No way will this bike get 75 mpg. I'd be shocked if it got 75 mpg using those funny imperial gallons.
    If it does get 75, I'm in :evil
  13. dpg

dpg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too am trying to make a decision between a Moto Guzzi v7 Stone and the CB1100. I like the sound of the Moto Guzzi alot and it probably has a little more "character" than the Honda. The v7 is quite a bit lighter too. I like light smaller bikes like my current ride, cbr250. Of course the drawing of the new BMW retro has me intrigued as well.
  14. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Anybody know how small/large the gas tank is?
    Lyle
  15. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I guess I do stop and stretch at least every 1-2 hours, and I find the gas stops in small towns are usually the place to get gas and grab a snack, and sometimes meet an occasional fellow traveler, so if the gas tank holds 3-4 gallons and I am getting 45 mpg I usually am in good shape. I have traveled the 2 lane roads all over the less populated parts of the west part of the US without ever running out of gas.

Art
  16. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've read 3.8 and 3.9 gals
  17. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing! It's funny how the mags and even the makers have a hard time identifying what gets cross shopped. The Bonnies, the V7s and the CB are natural competitors and I'd love to see them in a shootout despite--or perhaps because of--their spec differences.
  18. darmahman

Oddometer:
    Sorry - 71 MPG in the British rag - BIKE - Page 63 Dec. 2012 edition

Even if it "only"gets 60 MPG that is over 200 MPT(tankful) 1.20095 us gallons/1 imp. gallon = 59 U.S.A. MPG

19. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite a disparity:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Honda/2010_CB1100/Review.htm

6l/100km = 39.2 mpg US gallon or 47.1 Imp. Range to empty 240 km or about 149 miles.

40 to 50 mpg sounds a lot more likely than 60 to me. Hope I'm wrong. 50 mpg and 3.9 gallons would work for me. 40 and 3.9 not so much.
  20. darmahman

Oddometer:
    You don't think HMC would exaggerate do you???