The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Merry Xmas to you snake :freaky

And to all, have a fun "festive season".

[​IMG]

Don't let the frost bite over there...

You certainly have a different way of celebrating...
    [​IMG]

Oh and pluric..

These two just wanted to say Merry Xmas to you personally for some reason :dunno

[​IMG]
  2. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    I agree 100% - I like mine too.

No leaks. Thread lock the lock screws and that issue is resolved.

I've had one semi-serious incident riding down a 40% gradient covered in loose gravel and rocks that tore the left pannier off the bike. So I know it's possible for the pannier to be forced off the lower mount with enough rearward force applied at the lower front corner. Part of the plastic was broken but I found the piece and glued it all back together later. I was surprised at the time that the pannier was easily and securely re-attached despite the broken part.

They're designed to leave a minimum of hardware attached to the bike when the panniers are removed, so there's no rear cross brace. I like this. I also like the close fit, so the bike stays narrow. What happened to me would almost certainly not happen with most of the alternative designs though.

The Yamaha panniers are on the small side but I needed more space I'd use my truck. The wife and I traveled two up to the Yukon in the summer for two weeks. We had more stuff than we needed, so they're big enough if you know how to travel light.

:thumb

PS: Merry Xmas all! :beer
  3. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm getting that a lot this year. Even though it may look like there is plenty
    of me to go around, there just never seems to be enough. (sigh)

If you see them again let them down easy.
  4. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for Jesse or other all-aluminum panniers owners:

When taking the STen off road, do the panniers add up to _noticable_ added weight in the rear, even empty or lightly packed? Do you ever wish they made Jesse quality bags, only lighter?
  5. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    I have Jesse's and am a big Jesse fan, having had them on other bikes. They are narrower than the bars, which is really all that matters to me. I've never noticed the extra weight when the bags are lightly loaded. I have noticed the weight when loaded down for camping.

For reference, the Jesse Odyssey bags are 11lb each, the rack is about 10lb, so 32lb total. Take the bags off and you're looking at 22lb savings. 22/585= .037=3.7%. I figure I've got another 20lb of extras on the bike, plus me at 220lb. 575+20+10+220=825. 22/825=.026=2.6%. The bike is 2.6% lighter when the bags are off...

Which is all a longwinded way for this frustrated new father of a teething baby to say the bags don't weigh enough for me to notice.

I run them all the time though. I have a tail bag coming tomorrow so hopefully I'll be taking them off for day rides soon. I'll get back to you...
  6. roostar

roostar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run with my Happy Trails Tetons all the time. No noticeable difference in handling when nearly empty.
  7. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I donÂ’t like hard panniers to do off road.
    I had aluminum panniers in the GSA and had my leg trapped in it. Also you must remember you have it when you ride because the bike is widerÂ… and they add weight.

IMHO to do off road soft saddle bags as the Giant loop or others are better
  8. Rudolph

Rudolph n00b

Oddometer:
    Oil filter
  9. Rudolph

Rudolph n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry
  10. Elbiluco

Elbiluco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gents
    Wanted to wish a merry christmas to all!!!
    Stay safe on the road and enjoy family everyday like its your last!!!
    Just wanted to say this past weekend I picked up my beautiful 2012 Super Tenere.
    Drove all the way to Texas with my oldest son. I had such a good trip with my son, picking up the bike was just the icing on the cake. Cant post any pics so Ill leave it to the imagination.
    The bike already had Givi bars, skid plate, tall windscreen, lower seat and the trashcans! Got an awesome deal!!!!!
    If anyone saw a Tenere on I-20 going SE to Mississippi that was me!!!!
    God Bless Y'all and Godspeed. :evil
  11. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    So where in MS are ya? We've got a pretty active bunch in the regional forum. Look for the Jackson, MS thread.

Congrats on the new ride!
  12. Elbiluco

Elbiluco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    South of H Town!
  13. Flydream

Flydream King of the Atlantic

Oddometer:
    My little princess happiness...:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. ereneT

ereneT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a happy young girl, I agree with Santa, safety first.

Oh, so you know there will be a motorcycle show just outside Pearson airport January 4-6, if you are here let's go!

Merry Christmas
  15. Flydream

Flydream King of the Atlantic

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I know:cry and how i wish i could, but unfortunately i will arrive Toronto on the last day ( jan 6 at 7pm ):dog
    Thanks for the invitation ereneT
  16. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:

Won't cover emotional distress... but it will cover towing and lodging when your stranded oot!!.. need a vacation?:rofl
  17. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    The new 1200 GS from Beemer.

From their web site:

ABS response and the integral brake distribution are adjusted to the conditions depending on the mode selected. Enduro Pro mode deactivates ABS on the rear wheel during more advanced off-road rides.

Looks like they have finally fixed those crap brakes and have gone one step on from the Yamaha ones.

For the first time, BMW Motorrad will be fitting a compact wet clutch that has been optimised specifically for the powerful torque delivery of the opposed twin engine. The rider benefits from the antihopping function, especially when shifting down hard with engaged foot brake. This minimises the typical deflection of the clutch lever, and at the same time optimising controllability and handling.

And finally, they have woken up and put in a sensible clutch. As for the "antihopping" and the "deflection of the clutch lever", I have no idea how they sort that unless they have fitted a KTM style racing clutch.

EDIT: This "antihopping function" thing, on thinking about it, It's probably just the fact that it is a wet clutch made out to look like a new feature- Doh!

125 HP IN ONE HAND. The two throttle valves on the new R 1200 GS are actuated via servomotors, allowing fast adjustments to the engine and performance characteristics. Thanks to the electronic control of intake air quantity, both cruise control and the additional riding modes (both optional extras) can be integrated without much additional effort.

Electronic throttles and mode settings. Another copy from Yamaha possibly. :D:D:D

If it is reliable, it should be a great bike but I will never buy another one. We wait and I suppose.

(Oh and with 125hp, Pluric is really going to struggle :D)
  18. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not as much as trying to read red font.:bluduh
  19. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I've switched to the "Fresh" forum theme a long time ago - dark background with fonts in varying colors are plain bad for my eyes.

Now, only the posts with font set to white or light grey will be ignored (mostly).
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a slipper clutch to me - a clutch that allows a certain amount of slipping when downshifting to keep the rear from skidding if you don't match revs. Common on sportbikes and gradually becoming more common on other new designs.

- Mark