FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want what you're smoking. It's a freaking inline-four, just like a Toyota Corolla.

- Mark
  2. Tripod

Tripod waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer:
    Staintune does make an excellent product. I have one on my KLR sans baffle.

Can you give us some ear running the feej without the end baffles in?

Getting on it in traffic between a bunch of soccer-mom vans would be my choice. Make sure you tape the reactions.
  3. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    many slip-on options out there, I've had Two Bros and the Staintunes on mine. The 2Bros were too loud for me, the Staintunes were about right with the baffles in. Also sold them for what I gave for them. Both were used btw.

I'm back to the stock exhaust but recently had my headers gutted soooooo I'm itching to try some Holeshots http://www.holeshot.com/ or something else.

The stock mufflers also have "cats" in them so my gutting of the headers didn't provide me much, just a little more rumble and some cooling effects.

Beowulf http://www.beowulf-performance-products.com/default.asp is another favorite of mine but overseas shipping is added costs.

Two Bros;
    [​IMG]
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got staintunes on one of my other bikes, and I've got an FJR. I agree that Staintunes' build quality and metalurgy is unmatched in motorcycling. I'm sorry, gonna get hate mail here, but I just don't find the sound of an "uncorked" 90 deg crank inline 4 particularly appealing. Kind of like an unmuffled BMW flat twin, Noise for noise sake, you might just as well ride a Harley with slash pipes.
    This is the bone stock sound of a Laverda 180/3, stock, bone stock! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogis0yJHX6M&feature=related

Nice pipes though, look great on your bike, but I like the sound of my stock one better.
    Steve
  5. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    And a Corvette has the same V-8 sound as the one in a taxi, right?
    :ksteve
  6. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    I didn't mean to imply the sound was the same, rather that it makes me feel the same - i.e. it's good :D

To my tin ears at leat, there is none of the unpleasant noise that you often get with non-OEM pipes (on any type of motor), just pure visceral mechanical joy.

Then again, I like my Airhead's sound when uncorked a bit too so what do I know?
  7. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    If I had a way to do that, I would love to. That's what I love about them. With the baffles in, they're essentially no louder than stock. With them out, they growl just enough to get other drivers attention without pissing them off.

Perhaps one of my buds with a decent camera setup following behind would work? I'll see what I can do.
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just giving you a hard time comparing a generic inline-four with slip-ons to V12 Ferraris. Each person's perception of what sounds good is very subjective, and high-revving inline-fours sound pretty awful to me, like we're all trying to mimic the sound of a hopped-up Import Nights Cvic with coffee-can exhaust. I'll take a twin or a V4 exhaust melody over any inline-four. One of the nicest sounding engines I ever owed was a ST1100 which just had a glorious V4 baritone and little of the cam whine and gear whir that plagues the newer model. I also think my RC30 with the old-style 180-deg crank is pretty nice-sounding, but that's probably just liking what I ride.

In a touring bike like the FJR, they can't make them too quiet for me.

- Mark
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Totally agree!
    Steve
  10. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    I must admit I'm the same way, on my LD rides I put the baffles in the 'Tunes. That way it's the same as volume as stock but with a better tone. I just pull them out for the occasional day trip.
  11. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Actually it is a 180 degree crank, isn't it? Two are on top when two are at bottom? Just like almost every other production 4 cylinder engine out there. I think the new R1 is the first Yamaha 4 cylinder to get a funky odd-fire crank.
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes of course, you are right. Too much Merlot!
    Steve
  13. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has an FJR. He put the Staintunes on it, and all I can says is SWEET! I think the sounds is perfect. I don't know if he had the baffles in or not.

I really like the looks of the all black 2009 model as well. It looks much better in person that it does in the pictures.
  14. Meltdown

Meltdown Abort, Retry, Fail?

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. Mine is a 08 and bone stock for now. I've had it for about a year.

I absolutely love my FJR. When I bought it I knew I wanted a sport touring bike so here's what I looked at and the thought process I used since I know this thread is being read by others considering purchasing one.

My choices:

Yamaha FJR1300
    Honda ST1300
    Kawasaki Concours 14
    BMW R1200 RT
    BMW K1200 GT
    Triumph ST

I eliminated the ST1300 because I simply didn't like how big it was, dated styling, and value for the dollar.

The Concours was eliminated because it is having the same issues as the FJR did 6 years ago when it came out...riders are getting boiled alive. And its hot enough here in FL.

The BMW RT was eliminated because it doesn't have a water cooled engine. And because its a BMW with all the headaches associated with it.

The BMW GT was eliminated because...it was a BMW. I simply don't want to constantly have to worry about it breaking down by the final drive flying apart in the middle of Asshole, Idaho with the nearest dealer 500 miles away.

The Triumph I only looked at becuase my brother owns a Speed Triple and he loves it and the marque. It was too small...and not enough dealers.

The FJR was the perfect, logical choice. Out the door for $14k with extended warranty. The local dealer is SUPERB.

I've owned 6 motorcycles and this has been bar-none my favorite.

So...here she is.

This is my son after a 200 mile ride.
    [​IMG]

Parked at the local Blockbuster (store was closed)

[​IMG]

In the driveway

[​IMG]

On the showroom floor while I was doing the paperwork

[​IMG]

The ADV rider salute

[​IMG]

The bike is now paid for. Let the farkling begin!!!!!!!

:rofl
  15. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Where's the snow in your pictures?

:vardy

...bastard...

Enjoy the bike and welcom to ADV. :wave
  16. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Meltdown. Hopefully you've found FJRRIDERS.COM and FJRFORUM.COM.
    Bob
    Checkswrecks / Wreckchecker
  17. Meltdown

Oddometer:
    :D

Thanks!

Although to tell the truth I'd be happy for some snow in exchange for some decent roads. I've got a wicked set of chicken strips because there isn't a decent twisty road in this whole crummy state.

Having said that...it is nice to be able to ride year round. :lol3
  18. Meltdown

Oddometer:
    Yep!

I'm on FJRFORUM as NovaPhoenix. Someone else had already used the handle Meltdown.

Cheers!
  19. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    I have been having problems with my neck lately so I may have to sell the SV. The Feejer is looking better and better to me. I have been looking around and I seen a maroon 07 with 20k on it for $8999.00 at a local dealer.

I have seen 05's from $5500 to $7500 but they are blue. I really like the new raven model, but funding prohibits. I ran into a group of feejers at a group ride and one dude had a full Akra system on his FJR. Man, was that the bike I want.

Since this bike seems to get great fuel mileage (40+) is a big plus.
  20. Bert Fox

Bert Fox Casual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shop around. I bought a new 08 in Nov for $11250 plus tax. I had an SV before that. I love the FJR. I have over 9,000 on it since Nov thru the winter. Yamaha is pushing their finance option at the moment.
    Bert