Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's how I got around not having a metal subframe...

[​IMG]

I can carry gear and extra fuel without having to add any racks or large gas tanks to the bike. That way when I get to where I'm going I can ditch the trailer and play on my lightweight berg! Check out the trailer at www.moto-mule.com

Like mentioned above, the berg is a super off road bike. I'm running some Kenda DOT knobbies similar to the 606's. Definately rides like a dirtbike on the road. Mine is also the FX model, with a close ration gearbox. With dirt gearing 13/52 it's not comfortable over 55mph. I'm thinking of adding a Rekluse clutch and higher gearing to see if I can make it more comfortable at speed and still perform offroad the way I like. If I had the FE with the taller 6th gear it would probably be about perfect...
  2. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    Found a 2011 FE390 leftover for $6800 a few hundred miles away.....

Spoke with the dealership and they can have the bike prepped to my liking (re-mapped, with taillights and blinkers)...

I am about to move some funds over to make the deal.....

I think I can get $5K between my WR250R and XR600R when I sell them in May... so total out of pocket around $2K

SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS :lol3
  3. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    In the woods for sure. Berg all the way!

The WRR is simply one of the best true adventure touring machines I've owned, all things considered. I could ride it to Alaska and back....no problem. Bigdog & Dingweed did it just last summer. But, I wouldn't try to do that on my Husaberg. So, my WRR ain't going nowhere soon.

But, that's also the dilemma from another perspective.....my WRR ain't going nowhere soon.

HF :thumbup
  4. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I've taken my stock plastic subframe off the bike and thoroughly inspected it. Squeezed it, dropped it, stood on it. This is one stout piece of thick plastic. The solid body perimeter appears to be quite strong. I'd have no worries stuffing a GB full. There doesn't appear to be a particular weak point in the subframe design. I think it will work fine, if you don't get ridiculous with your load.

The stock part may be stronger (structurally) than the fuel cell version, but that's purely a guess using my imagination.

But what do I know...

HF [​IMG]

p.s. I'll be running a GL Coyote bag soon enough. That holds plenty for me. In fact, if you can't get it in a Coyote, you probably don't need to take it with you. Just sayin
  5. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Would be easy to CNC a billet alum replacement I would guess, or even a steel piece for strength.
  6. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester Supporter

Oddometer:
    For a dual sport bike it is great. For the tight, rooty, rocky, muddy NE trails I ride sometimes ... for me a 390 would be plenty. I am looking forward to riding the new KTM 350 in those conditions because it will be lighter than my berg.

You rode with me once Nate ... I am old and slow. I know that you can handle the 570 like it's a featherweight.
  7. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    I did try an 11 390 and I did notice MUCH less engine braking.

That bike was much easier to ride fast than the 570, some of that I atribute to improved suspension settings but some to the smoothness of the engine as well.
  8. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    HF...

I own an '11FE570S and agree completely with your comments above.

I will be interested in hearing how you keep the Giant Loop straps away and/or insulated from the exhaust pipe.

Thanks for all your input...I used to own a WRR also and your input was greatly appreciated ! And valuable !

Dave
  9. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used Seafoam with great result on my carbed Kawi Brute Force 750 that got all clogged up after sitting for a few years. But on my street bikes I use Strarbrite Startron with every fill up....so far so good.

Do you know what the advantage is in using Seafoam as opposed to Startron?

BTW, your Indy kit works great on my F800GS...thank you.
  10. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Glad to help. Regarding the GL, I'm running the Mojave on my 390....which you can see in my photos (above). I'm assuming it has a very similar strapping system to the other models they make, but not certain. Anyway, its no problem near my exhaust; doesn't touch it. There is room between the frame and pipe...enough to wrap the strap and cinch it to the buckle.

HF :thumbup
  11. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Just to be sure I wrapped some of that DEI Reflect-A-Gold around the right strap of my GL MoJavi where it goes around the backside of main frame next to the exhaust pipe, and the strap has held up great.
  12. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info !

My bike is at the suspension shop for a spring upgrade, revalve and a 2" height reduction. Once it's back I'll test fit my GLoop.

Dave
  13. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Greetings HF,
    Thanks for your comments!
    Could you elaborate as to why you wouldn't use your 'Berg on an Alaska trip like 'Dog's and 'Weed's?

ktm950se
  14. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took my SE from NC to OK and back on the TAT. With a little more wind protection, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same with my FE450.

Check out this Adventure 570...http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicules/motorcycles/70-other/321-so-you-want-a-lightweight-adventure-travel-bike.html...talk about a long distance adventure bike.

Carry a spare fuel pump and injector and you're good to go. Valves have been dead nuts on since I bought my 2 Bergs.
  15. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm saying :D

Other than possible fuel system issues, the new 'Berg engine seems to be ideal for long distance dual-sporting.

I'm still trying to figure out why more people aren't using them for that...

ktm950se
  16. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    All 5 Bergs entered in Dakar are still running. :D:D:D:D:D:D
  17. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did something similar on a week long ride and my improv heat shield fell off. The strap still did not melt. Going to roll with it as is next trip.
  18. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
    I'm using DEI Fire Sleeve. I have it on the right hand strap of my Giant Loop bag in the rear and my panniers (strap touches heat shield) in the front. Very durable and no problems.
  19. cyborg

Oddometer:
    One 'Berg down today, Ron on the DakarBerg team. Engine failure after they replaced the head the eve before.
  20. cyborg

Oddometer:
    DEI Fire Sleeve looks good for the job. I used the Reflect-A-Gold self-adhesive sheet because I had some left over from a under-fuel tank insulating job. Seems to hold up well wrapped around the straps.