2014 Honda CTX700 Threadfest

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HondaFanatic, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DewaltDakota

DewaltDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's great news! I'm seriously thinking about putting a deposit down on a Grom, as well. It'll look like father and son, having my CTX700N and a Grom (both in black), parked next to each other.

EDITED: to add - deposit put down on a Grom this morning. :-)
  2. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    OK, Grom, you made me curious... An over grown minibike... Looks like fun and probably a killer bike for someone my age...tp
    [​IMG]
  3. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    Cycle World has a write up on the CTX - very positive

they also mentioned that there are more bikes coming that we will be seeing very soon. :clap:clap:clap:ear I hope the CBF1000 and/or the CB1300 are included. I have to admit, though, that I really like this "new concept" stuff that Honda is doing. It makes everything else seem old and stale. I can't wait to see the CTX700 in the flesh.
  4. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    Just got back from 4 days in the mountains with the Nomad. Nearly dropped it a coupleof times. The house we rented was on a dirt road, about 1/2 a mile in. I had to turn the Nomad around a couple of times. I pulled my left bicep catching the bike both times. It's better now but that thing is heavy heavy heavy and it HURT !!!

I still rode though, and took the wife riding. the arm only hurt when I was trying to get the helmet/jacket/gloves on. Mrs. B had to help me with that. We got on a very tight 1st/2nd gear road, and the Nomad showed her girth there too.

The Nomad was great on the open road. Very comfy and good power. It's just not meant to be manhandled.

The wife said "you need a lighter bike". Maybe a CTX? I can't wait to see it. Maybe a DL650? Or a NC700X? I like the lower seat height on the CTX. Maybe a smaller cruiser like a Vulcan 900 LT or a V-Star 950?

Anyway, I am thinking about it more seriously now.
  5. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I saw the Vulcan 900 custom in black and green at the shop the other day. I don't even like undressed cruisers, but I wanted that bike. If Honda made a loaded (abs, cruise, stereo, full faired) CTX and priced it as reasonably as the other CTX bikes, I would own one of those instead of my Victory.
  6. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    It hit the local showroom today. I rode over to sit on it and take a look.I really was hoping this would be "the bike" for me. Unfortunately, I found it disappointing.

The bike was light, too light for my tastes. Also, the "tank" seemed to be made of a very thin plastic. Over all, the bike had a cheap look and feel to me.

I will be interested to read what others think.
  7. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    well, light, to me, is great, as i spend most of my time in hilly urban/suburban areas with medium to heavy traffic. however, agreed on the cheap look of the tank. seat is SUPER comfy. i wound up passing on my preorder just because it felt TOO commuter-focused, and since i have a scooter for commuting (with far more carrying capacity), i went with the '13 SFV 650 instead -- and no regrets.
  8. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
  9. Maytag Repairman

Maytag Repairman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    saw this at the local Honda dealership today

[​IMG]
  11. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Cool. You notice the new CB1100 sitting next to the CTX? It's becoming a popular yet hard to find model, too...
  12. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    yeah, good eye - they also had a red CTX in the same state of disassembly. The black one is a dct model. red one is not. I didn't get to ask any questions. Well I guess I could have, I just didn't want to banter with the sales dude.
  13. DewaltDakota

DewaltDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, while I originally wanted the CTX700N in black, my dealer only got one in red, and that was because he "stole it" from their other location. Everything has been signed, and I pick it up on Tuesday. It kills me they're closed on Sundays and Mondays, when I could be out riding!
  14. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Went to a dealer yesterday to look at the CTX in Black, and as I thought, the forward foot controls caused immediate aching in my lower back, something that makes riding no fun for me. It was a nice looking bike and the handle bar position was very comfortable, but those pegs, ugh...a deal breaker.

Came home with a new left over '12 KLR650 in matte grey, and it fits me perfectly, and is a slug too, but that I expected, having owned one before.

If you like forwards and a relaxed seating position the new CTX may be the one for you. tp
  15. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm just the opposite...being an older guy, I had to get rid of the r1100r because it scrunched up underneath me to the point that they would cramp up within 10 miles...loved the bike, but couldn't really take the torture, even with footpeg lowering blocks.

Went to the Honda dealer today. He had two CTXs, one red, one black...the unfaired version (has a faired version still being put together from the crate). I found the seating position and leg position very comfortable. I'm not fond of the amount of plastic on the bike, since that means additional cost for servicing or having to take all that off to get to service points, but then, I ride a Honda Silverwing, so I guess I really can't complain a lot. The price is very reasonable...way less than a replacement SWing or a Suzuki Burgman...might have to give one of these some serious consideration...
  16. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Went to the dealer today to pick up my tag and asked the finance guy is they had had any interest in the CTX, and he said that they hadn't. Said that Honda is releasing so many different style bikes that they are unsure what, if any of them will sell. On the other hand, they had sold four new R1200GS's water cooled models. Guess some folks know just what they want and get it... I'm happy with the KLR, too....tomp dd50
  17. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought a black N for my daughter yesterday. I but about 120 miles on it today. For four inch suspension, it rode a lot smoother on the rough roads up here in Mn and Wi then I thought it should. :clap :clap. I love the dual clutch. I just need to turn the forward pegs in a little, like I did on my v-rods and my brake out.
  18. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Your daughter's but you put 120 miles on it; when will she get to ride it? :evil:evil Glad to hear a positive review. Are the pegs adjustable? Didn't notice that when I looked at one last weekend... tp dd50
  19. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    She can ride when I go back to Wisconsin. She well be less nerves when I leave. I just need to drill and tap a hole for a set screw. Does not put pressure on the knees when the pegs are turned in.
  20. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee

Oddometer:
    I'm one of the few DN-01 owners who like that bike... bought mine new in '11 at just over $8K, and for that price it was a good deal. I've taken a couple of long day trips on mine, but the real sweet spot is around-town riding. It is my commuting vehicle of choice, or for any riding that I don't actually have to be on the interstate. What kills me is the wind blast; it's very fatiguing after a couple of hours with the factory windshield. But, what a super-easy bike to ride.

The CTX700N is basically the same bike, with a different auto transmission, a motor that isn't quite as powerful but gets significantly better mileage, and a chain drive instead of a shaft. IMO the DN-01 looks higher-end; Honda did a great job with the bodywork/detailing if you like that sort of thing. I think there is a market for new, older riders, who want an easy-handling motorcycle that isn't scary. My current long distance bike is a Yamaha FJR1300AE, but I would never have bought this bike without having gotten some experience on the DN-01. The FJR isn't an easy bike for new riders, and it isn't easy for short riders either.

I'd like to ride a CTX and see if I like it, but what I really want Honda to do is to bring the VFR1200 Crosstourer DCT to the USA. Or, better yet, create a parallel 3-cylinder version of the engine in the CTX, and offer a scaled-up 1000cc version with DCT, dual brakes, and bigger hard panniers. That would make a great tourer... a mini-Gold Wing. But, I can't see myself trading in my DN-01 for what is essentially the same bike, at the same new price.