Rockies regional randomness

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Geek, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Inane Cathode

Inane Cathode Cheated Anion

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have an atv jack or something similar i can rent/borrow? I need something to go under my sooby motor so i can slide it under the bumper and raise it up. I cant think of a way to do that without being the incredible hulk...
  2. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    I guess you could borrow Miss Deb's 8-foot cock.......:rofl:rofl
  3. Joz

Joz What could go wrong?

Oddometer:

I have a motorcycle/atv jack (Harbor Freight) but I live near E470 & Smoky Hill. You're welcome to use it if you can't find anything closer to you.
  4. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't a regular hydraulic floor jack and a piece of wood work? Thats what I use when I'm putting in or taking out a VW motor from a VW (the way God intended numbnuts:D) Surely you have a floor jack with as much jacking around with VWs you do.

[​IMG]740)this.width=740" height=253>
  5. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Geek, do you like the US version? I can only give it about 2 out of 10, whereas the Brit version I give 10+. The three guys on the US version are clueless and not funny at all. But the Alaska show brought back some good memories of working in Alaska, especially an incident with some backwoods guys in their super jacked up old Ford truck. We had our equipment strung across a track out into the tundra near a gravel pit close to the main gravel road. These guys made us move all our stuff (they were hunters/miners and thought they were real tough). So after we cleared the trail from our wires and instruments, they pulled by us in their monster bog truck and stopped at the main road where they revved their truck up (three guys all sitting in the front seat) and popped the clutch. Only problem was the truck had been dropped into reverse. They shot back down the little road and right down into the very deep, two level gravel pit. That old Ford slammed against the rear of the upper level pit and bounced up and down for a few seconds. When they finally recovered and drove back by us to the main road, they were all white as sheets. As they slowly drove by, I said 'Have a nice day yall'. :lol3:lol3:lol3
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    The American version is growing on us. We enjoy it a little more each episode.

The Australian version was all over the place as they swapped hosts trying to find the right combination. The last episode of it was the one we've enjoyed the most.. but strangely the season ended after just 4 episodes. Fingers crossed it'll be back.

TopGear UK begins again this coming Sunday :clap
  7. Brian-M

Brian-M Melting in GA

Oddometer:
    I like the US version more than the AUS version (think the hosts have more chemistry), and it's getting better. Remember, the Brits have been at it for a few decades now, and about a decade with the Current trio. The budgets are most likely no where NEAR the same, and yet the production value on the US version is right up there with the Brits. I've laughed pretty hard at a couple of the US moments (blind drifter doing the handbrake parking), which makes it worthwhile for me. Their Stig segments and interviews suck dirty donkey balls though.
  8. Inane Cathode

Oddometer:
    I do have a floor jack, but it wont work because the only thing to lift by thats centered is the oil sump, and its quite tall and round. Heavy motor, unstable lifting, i like all my fingers attached thank you :p
  9. Inane Cathode

Oddometer:
    Pm Sent :)
  10. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Same here!

Pickups in Alaska was a hoot... (or as Geek would say, a hewt!) I think at first they tried to hard to exactly mimic the original Top Gear formula, now they are developing their own rhythm.
  11. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Lift the back bumper with the jack.
    Take the rear wheels off.
    Lower the van onto the engine :D
  12. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I will be SO glad when the franken-subie-vw is done. Seeing the frequent posts on it is like a passing a car wreck. Even though I don't want to see them I just can't look away...

But hats off to IC, he is now the recipient of the semi-official pfb non-moto project persistance award...
  13. Inane Cathode

Oddometer:
    Almost, but i have to be able to wiggle it up and down and side to side. As well as i think the bumper would break off if i tried to lift the whole thing like that. Too much thinking outside the box here :p

pfb:
    [​IMG]
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Should we start a pool on "will it start?" and if it starts "will it move?" ?

:hide
  15. KLXplode

KLXplode Desert Hunter

Oddometer:
    I havent really enjoyed American top gear till the Alaska Episode. Something about a bunch of big beefy trucks :D

But those guys dont seem to know much about cars, like the part where he stalled it in the river and it was amazing that it started afterwards (Even thoough the sparkplugs, and carb were still above the water). GOod episode though.
  16. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    It will never be done. That's the whole point of any project that involves a VW :deal
  17. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Agreed that Rutledge and Adam aren't the savviest motorheads (but as we get to know them better that's becoming more endearing as they are very much just average/normal guys).

I dunno if you can say that about Tanner though - he is quite accomplished.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanner_Foust

In the past (pre-topgear) I've not been a fan of Tanner as he always seamed a bit arrogant (though he does have the skills to back it up) - that said; as the series has gone on I've not found him arrogant at all and find myself enjoying his mix in the show.

paste:

Tanner Foust Achievements

2010 Gymkhana Grid Gold Medalist AWD Division [Rockstar-Etnies Ford Fiesta]
    2010 Race of Champions Competitor
    2010 X Games Rally Gold Medalist [Rockstar-Etnies Ford Fiesta]
    2010 X Games Super Rally Gold Medalist [Rockstar-Etnies Ford Fiesta]
    2010 Formula Drift Silver Medalist [Rockstar-Scion Scion TC]
    2009 Race of Champions Competitor
    2009 Formula Drift Sixth Place (with 3 podium placements) [Rockstar-Scion Scion TC]
    2008 Formula Drift Pro Drift Champion [Rockstar-AEM 350z]
    2008 Race of Champions Competitor
    2008 X Games Rally Silver Medalist [Rockstar Subaru STI]
    2007 X Games Rally Gold Medalist [Rockstar Subaru STI]
    2007 Formula Drift Pro Drift Champion [Rockstar-AEM 350z]
    2007 Rally America Series Fourth Place (with 6 podium placements)
    2006 Formula Drift Championship third place overall [McKinney Nissan Silvia]
    2006 Rally America PGT Class Championship Second place overall.
    2005 Rally America PGT Champion.
    2006 Summer X Games Rally Third fastest time in the Stadium Super Special.

Film[1]
    2010 Iron Man 2 (stunt double)
    2009 Fast & Furious (stunt double)
    2007 Numb3rs (TV series) (stunt driver - 1 episode)
    2007 The Bourne Ultimatum (stunt performer: US)
    2007 Dirt (TV series) (stunt double - 1 episode)
    2006 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (stunt double driver: DK, stunt driver: drift racing)
    2006 CSI: Miami (TV series) (stunt driver - 1 episode)
    2005 The Dukes of Hazzard (stunts)
  18. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Perhaps tie it to pass openings? Before/After Webster? Mosquito? Pearl? It would bring some bike content back in! :lol3
  19. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Have you checked out Battle of the Supercars? Tanner and Paul Tracy hurling insults at each other and going head to head on two semi-matched semi-supercars... Of course Paul Tracy is acerbic enough to make Tanner easy to like!

Kind of entertaining though! On Speed channel and Comcast on-demand.
  20. Inane Cathode

Oddometer:
    :p

You forgot i already did this once. I've put 15k miles on the other project that-will-never-be-finished :lol3