Adventure camera info needed

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by toddler, May 31, 2012.

1. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    Well my Canon G10 is not shooting so well these days and thus my picture taking has dropped off quite a bit. I may try to send it in to Canon and have the lens mechanism replaced, but I think it will cost more than it is worth. It has taken a lot of abuse over the years.

So...that leaves me in research mode for a new camera.

Needs are:

good pictures
    decent video
    rugged
    small
    fast
    5x+ zoom lens

Anyone have any recommendations? The G10 certainly was not small, but it took good pictures that gave me lots of cropping options.

Thanks.
  2. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rugged Waterproof Camera Review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup

Your Top options are:

Panasonic Lumix 12.1 MP Rugged/Waterproof Digital Camera

Nikon Coolpix AW100 16 MP Digital Camera

Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Digital Camera

Pentax Optio WG-1 14 MP Digital Camera

Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14 MP Digital Ca
  4. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    good tips, thanks folks.

Anyone have first hand experience with any of these?
  5. sevengrey

sevengrey n00b

Oddometer:
  6. GrizGirl

GrizGirl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the waterproof Lumix but the lack of low light capability and anemic zoom caused me to just go with the regular Lumix. The one I have now goes from 28mm to 300mm, has the Leica lens, decent low light capability, is small, and has big buttons so I can use it with gloves on. It lives on a lanyard around my neck. It is my 3rd Lumix. My first was lost (which is why I now always have it on a lanyard), the 2nd did great for about 17,000 miles and one day while taking a picture while riding down the road a rock hit the lens. It was getting beat up anyway so now I am on camera #3. Ha.....

So you would think they are not durable. I would say yes, pretty durable. A camera that can survive being pulled in and out of a jacket in every type of weather and that can survive living on a lanyard for lots of miles both dirt and paved, that can survive dust storms and sand storms and still work is pretty durable to me.

I just looked at B&H Photo's page (dangerous!) and they now make a silicone sleeve for the Lumix. I am going to get one to see if it will protect the little camera better.

For me I'm willing to give up a little durability for a better zoom, better lens, and easy to use buttons.

I'll bring it to beer night so you can take a look see.
  7. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    Another huge +1 for the Panasonic Lumix. The one I've been looking at is this one, which is also the best price I've found for it. http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCZS10BL.html

I always buy one generation behind. The new DMC ZS20 is $100 more. Not worth it, IMO. What I like about this camera is the lens. It takes really fantastic pictures, and it's much wider angle than the other point and shoots I have.
  8. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Canon D10. It's the second waterproof camera I've had, and it takes ok pictures. I found that the low light performance on all the waterproof point and shoots is pretty weak. The D10 has an optical zoom (which is why it's kind of bulky), where my old waterproof camera had only digital (which means no zoom really). I have a good camera that I take when I want to take pictures, and then I have this rugged camera that I just toss in my bag or pocket or whatever. It's nice not having to worry about my camera, but a little better picture quality would be nice.
  9. Wired

Wired Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Olympus tough TG-610. It's a step or two down from what was recommended, but I'm happy with it. I know a few people who took this model kayaking a lot and loved it. It's what I use on my bike for a point and shoot.

Nikon has a new durable camera out as well now. I'm not sure how well it performs though.
  10. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you have, but be sure to call Canon service to see what options they have with "customer loyalty exchange".

Instead of repairing your old camera, they will offer you a new or refurbished camera that you may like for a price you may really like. (I sent in an old G2, and got a new G11 for $250 a few years ago. That was half price at the time.)
    Also;
    <cite>www.steves-digicams.com
    </cite><cite>www.bhphotovideo.com</cite>
  11. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Awesome idea! Thanks.
  12. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Please bring it tonight Cathy. Care to post a typical picture you have taken with it here?
  13. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Were your "dinosaur" pictures taken with the D10?
  14. GrizGirl

GrizGirl Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was January near Green River - it does well on a wide range of colors.

[​IMG]

This was from a few weeks ago when we went to Canyonlands.

[​IMG]

It has a cool macro setting too - it does pretty good with details as well. This is from the backyard with me hand holding checking stuff out.

[​IMG]
  15. flyingwombat

flyingwombat frozen dead guy

Oddometer:
    I have a Lumix DMC-TS3 and it's a GREAT dirtbike camera. You can snorkel with it in salt water as well. The built-in GPS stamping is great. The battery life is excellent if you're not taking movies. Movies tend to suck down the juice pretty quickly, but it takes good movies. I made a little mount for it so I can strap it around my boot and use it like a GoPro.

If you're after professional quality photos, it's not the camera for you, but it's a great go-anywhere rugged little camera. That's not to say you can't get good photos with it, just don't expect SLR quality.

I have a 128GB Lexar memory card in there and I only need to open it up to change the battery or plug it into the PC... never on the trail. Love it.

Oh yeah, one of the things I like about it is the separate movie and snapshot buttons... you don't have to fumble for the movie mode.
  16. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some where. Some are from Jay's phone and Sean's camera. Here have a look at the flickr camera thing to find pictures from different cameras:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

Here is the D10: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_d10/

Also, if you click on any of the pictures in the dino thread, when you get to to flickr on the right side, you can see what camera it was taken with.
  17. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    With my Lumix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I love my Lumix, it's a great camera. A riding buddy had a DMC-ZS3 on a Baja trip that took pictures so much better than my Sony that I bought a DMC-ZS5. Not sure what number they're up to now :D

12x optical zoom, 16x Intelligent zoom, (25mm-390mm SLR equivalent I think it is)
    Excellent battery life - tough metal body

The Leica glass is very very good
  19. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    +2

I have had the basic older Lumix without GPS for cheap money for several years and love it. I used to use Canon P&S cameras but like this one so much more. The best part is the on/off switch that is easy to use with gloves while riding instead of the more common button. I carry it while riding on my bike with a lanyard attached to a carabiner attached to my jacket. Good Leica lens, 12x wide angle zoom and the battery lasts for days. I carry a spare battery but to tell the truth, I've never needed it.

The one I have:

[​IMG]
  20. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Dear Toddler:
    Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We are sorry that the PowerShot G10 has some pits on it.
    I do understand your concern. The flat rate of repair is $139.00
    You are eligible for Canon's Loyalty Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price. Ground shipping is free.
    If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at 800-385-2155 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PowerShot G10.
    Thank you for choosing Canon.

--Original Message--
    Date: 5/31/2012 4:51:21 PM
    Subject: Sales/Product Information Email - Digital Compact Cameras > PowerShot G Series > PowerShot G10

Question:The lens on my G10 has some pits on it. I fear the repair costs will be more than the camera is worth. I heard Canon has a customer loyalty exchange program. I'd like to hear what my options are in regards to this.

Thank you.

--------------------------

I'll give them a call and see what they can offer. I'm tempted to fix my G10 as I've liked it so much over the years and it has taken so much abuse(cold,wet,shock,sand).

The Lumix everyone is raving about is certainly tempting as well.

Thanks for the information folks.
    <!-- end sanitized html -->