ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:

ok, this is about my speed. I think if I go this route, I may try to find a wrecked one, or maybe find one on fleabay.....

right now, I'm in dire need of a larger tank, so that has to come first....
  2. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had Woody build me a nice one for my 530.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:

HOW much??
  4. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Part#92161 DAMPER,SHOCK,RR HUB

[​IMG]

- M
  5. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The instructions say the controller is pre-programmed with a recommended setting as delivered. It really comes alive with the settings they put it at. I'm just leaving it at that. Their are 2 pages of instructions for tuning if you would like to change them. You can change Idle fuel, Low, Mid, and High (accelerator pump).

[​IMG][​IMG]
  6. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are the Avon Gripster AM24 Tires. The fronts are still available, for some reason they discontinued the 18 inch rear. They are good for the street and light dirt. I primarily use them for when I'm riding around town. Shinko makes some good tires. I wish the US would import Maxxis Dual Sport tires.
  7. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes the tuner just changes the fuel injection/mapping. You can run a switch with the tuner. The tuner plugs in at the fuel injection body, electrical connector in the stock wiring harness and a ground wire.

The tuner plugs in under the seat. Run them both.
  8. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the Excels on closeout for $615 for both the front and the rear. The front Sicass LED's are really easy. It's one bolt and plug. It was weird though that you have to rewire the indicator bulb to get the flasher to work properly. I'd never seen that before.
  9. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think Talon makes a cush drive rear hub/sprocket combo. In my thoughts it can't hurt to get the extra cush in the rear, but I think that was the point of the new Brembo clutch. Why else would it have a cushion? Maybe to save wear on parts?
  10. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my RLR CRT in the mail today. The guy I met had installed his on the rear left side panel. I didn't like that because it could get hit by the rear tire and you could see the bolts/rivets on the side panel. I chose to put mine inside the air box. Hose routing actually worked out really well.

(Yes I know this is a run on sentence)...
    I followed the breather hose for the fuel cap, then shot behind the frame over the rear shock, drilled a hole through the white airbox plastic, there was a nice black carrier inside as if ktm knew the hose was coming, wrapped it down around the air filter to the bottom of the tank, then out the top and over the battery back down and out the vent hole on the bottom of the air box.

Anytime I filled the radiator so just the fins are covered inside, it will spill out through the overflow. All over my clutch case and my boots. Enough of that. This cost me $31 and should help keep more coolant in the system for those single track, Snowy Trail, days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  12. ridethedesert

ridethedesert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those who may be interested, I mounted the 6x tuner on the air box panel/plastic. JD recommends the front right frame or the number plate. I don't want anyone seeing it so I like this spot better. It came with velcro so you can separate it from the panel if needed. I had to remove the factory sticker to mount the velcro. It wasn't water proof anyway. It already looked like crap.

[​IMG]
    Mpeared likes this.
  13. Lulu7404

Lulu7404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EK I would love to hear personally how they work for you.
    This sounds very similar to a plug-in for the Triumph Tiger I traded for this bike. I hope so.
    And the link to the Oregon site at the end of that great TT thread, is E-Ticket, the guy I mentioned up a few posts... he mirrored his thread from ktmt. may shoot him a PM while we are on topic. :freaky

edit: and ridethedesert, thanks again for your contributions as well. I would love to hear your opinions of off idle, mild mannered riding conditions with the tuner. thanks
  14. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots :eek1, but I got a bit back for trading in the rear hub, it was practically new.
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Bought a RAD Cush hub built on an Excel rim for $820aud delivered to Australia from WWW for my Berg.
    You can notice the smoother take up and ride on the bitumen and hard dirt roads.
  16. Honda_jedi

Honda_jedi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ridethedesert • Yesterday 10:01 PM
    Anyone ever tried or seen these? Its a cush sprocket. I'm not sure I would trust it.

http://www.kushsprockets.com/sprockets

Nice find. more research on that one to see if anyone has 1) put any kind of power through one (like 55hp/40 ftlb) and 2) that they at least last long enough for the chain ring to wear out.

seems like a reasonable price when a steel sprocket is about $45, and one of the Supersprox combo sprockets is $90 or so. This is about $100 and says it has aluminum center section and steel chain ring. I'll see if anyone out there has ever validated the longevity of the 'made in china' quality...
  17. Honda_jedi

Honda_jedi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/879468-kush-sprocket/

mixed results all over different forums. sounds like a bad first batch of parts (late 2010, early 2011 timeframe). Subsequent better design. Though no one has reported more than 1000 miles. Two guys reported (one at 450 miles, one at 1000) that they were still going strong.

Plenty reported they were still waiting on their product to be shipped. sounds like a halfway decent product with poor business management... Also, if you think about it, there's just not enough rubber in there to get the job done. Lots of load over a small area = rubber damper separation.

And then again the other way to look at it is - why spend $10,000 on a machine and skimp on a made in China sprocket! I guess I had to reach down and find my berries for a second. $800 for a rear rim sucks, but a kush sprocket failure that takes out your swing arm would suck worse.
  18. jpdiller

jpdiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    who knows the what the torque spec is for the bolts that hold the bracket for the charcoal canister? These are the top motor mount bolts. I took off the canister bracket.

The manual mentions something about engine bolts, not sure which ones its talking about.
  19. FZcruzer

FZcruzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the stock blinker and exhaust do not play well together, not a big surprise.

[​IMG]
    vgreno2000 likes this.
  20. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will KTM ever fix this bad design. Geese. Fail. Get the Euro tail w/the sicass flushmount blinkers. Love mine.