Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Considering my video card is about the same size as that full box I doubt it. Notice how small that area is for the video card, they might be able to fit in something like a GTX650.

I can play Assassins Creed III with the smallest bit of lag in the most complex environments with everything maxed out, and this is the size of the GTX660 I'm using:

[​IMG]

I think the goal for this will be cost since if I have a piston for use with steam then in 2-3 years I can upgrade the graphics card for ~100 bucks (if it's around the GTX650 level) and keep the system going.
  2. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    The GFX is supposed to be a Radeon 7000 series but they don't tell you which one. They tend to be more efficient then the Nvidia's. They said it's a more efficient computer overall though. That happens when you use proprietary components. Running solid works with just 2GB ram is impressive. Seeing as they're teaming up with Steam, I suspect that the Xi7 would have to run with everything maxed to be a top tier seller as a gaming PC.
  3. UnderNewOwnership

UnderNewOwnership Thread Slayer

Oddometer:
    The machine in the clip is running an AMD Fusion - probably a low-power A10-4655M chip (owing to the total paucity of this model on the market, which would make sense if it was earmarked for tech demo builds) - on a custom-fabbed miniITX board. Said chip has an on-die integrated video card (reasonably good, though by no means high-end) so no need for a dedicated one (unless you want m0ar dakka via Hybrid Crossfire, though I don't think you'll be able to fit one, given the tiny headroom).

What I find odd, however, is that Valve are going the AMD Fusion route, since Sony (their would-be rivals in the console market) have recently been showcasing several demonstators of their own, running the same Fusion APU (Accelerated Processing Unit). Then again, Sony have the glut to bide their time, so they might be waiting for AMD's 28nm Kaveri APU, rather than going for the current Trinity.

Edit: Lemme guess, a good deal of the stuff I've written is Sanskrit to many AdvRiders.
  4. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, those guys are over in the clubhouse rolling dice and measuring range. :lol3
  5. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    That doesn't make sense though, they pull the "video card" and leave the mother board so it likely has a different CPU and then dedicated graphics card instead of the 2 in one solution APU. Unless they are doing a cross-fire setup.
  6. UnderNewOwnership

Oddometer:
    That could be it. They sell the base spec without a video card; if you want m0ar dakka, you buy the requisite discrete solution and install it, enabling the Dual Graphics mode (which increses framerate up to +40% in DirectX 11 and higher games).

Besides, the flagship Kaveri-based APU is rumoured to feature an on-die Radeon HD 7750. This would enable a system to play reasonably demanding titles without needing a Dual Graphics setup with a discrete card.
  7. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    How is AMD doing in terms of CPU performance now a days? I know that isn't as big of a concern for gaming since the GPU side of an APU will be what matters but it seems that Intel has taken over the market.
  8. UnderNewOwnership

Oddometer:
    Short answer: they kinda suck. The latest revision brings multithread performance very close to Intel's Sandy Bridge, but singlethread is still poor. It's even slightly worse than the old Phenom line.

Thankfully, that doesn't really matter in the areas AMD are currently expanding. Their integrated graphics solutions completely obliterate even the best effort Intel can muster (the HD4000) at lower prices (the current Trinity flagship, the A10-5800k, is slightly cheaper than its direct competitor, the HD4000-toting I3-3225). For a mid-end all-singing, all dancing mATX/mITX form factor, there's none better. True, AMD have more or less abandoned the high-end CPU market, but recent rumours have them behind pretty much every console maker's next-gen plans.
  9. Jonnylotto

Oddometer:
    Then why is their stock still trading like used paper?
  10. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Consumer market performance/penetration is nowhere the capital I's lead in Enterprise.
  11. UnderNewOwnership

Oddometer:
    ^^^ This. 8 out of 10 corporate laptops sport an Intel (usually an i3). Most corporate users don't really care about integrated graphics quality; as long as it can run spreadsheets, it's good enough.

AMD's recovery from the Bulldozer fiasco has been a slow and drawn-out affair; it is only recently that laptops (like HP's flagship Envy series) and HTPCs using Trinity cores have started entering the market. AMD's main marketing pitch is graphical performance close to a system with a dedicated mid-end graphics card, in a much more space-conscious enclosure.
  12. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I don't think they're even an option in workstations anymore at least for Dell.
  13. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    As someone who probably could've graduated a few spots higher from college if not for Civilization 2 and SimCity (whatever version was popular circa 2003-6), I can not wait for the latest SimCity. Release date March 5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Squelch

Squelch Everyday People Supporter

Oddometer:
    That new SimCity looks good! I doubt it will run on my 5-year old MacPro though. Might be time for a new computer...
  15. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would think that SimCity would be perfect for the tablet market
  16. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    They tried once, I even bought it for my smartphone. However, now it is not in my list of android apps to download to the nexus. I agree though, it could be fun on a tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  17. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    If it's a mac pro you have what 2 dual or quad core xeons? That with a decent graphics card should be able to do it.
  18. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Yep. It could always benefit from more power, but my 4 year old computer (Core 2 quad something or other, and Nvidea GTX 280) meets the requirements for "Recommended" specs. I may upgrade the video card anyway though :evil
  19. Jonnylotto

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else here played a game so much that it started showing up inside your dreams?

I've been playing Borderlands (for the first time, mind you) and some of it is bleeding through, like running bandits over with a car (but in the dream it's a '65 Lincoln with suicide doors) or sneaking around in places I'm not supposed to be. Last night I was a corp spy busted by a CEO who looked a lot like Steele. :lol3
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Gtx650 ti doesn't take too much power and would be a HUGE boost for under 150 bucks.