New Desert/Enduro Gas Tank for the SE950R

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by PowerCell, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Sounding like a major step in the right direction! :clap Are the side mounts changed from the SM tank then? If so, where do they attach?

I like the look of that rubber isolated bar mount system. The regular system kind of bugs me since the stabilizer is mounted on the wrong side of the rubber isolation! :lol3
  2. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

We use the same side mounts as the SM, which are approx 6" lower and 2" further forward than the SE side mounts. We also are including a custom stainless steel front mount that is significantly stronger than the stock SM front mount, and threaded to fit the SE.

[​IMG]

3. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Gotcha! I thought you were talking about something even further forward, closer to the radiator itself. I get it! :thumb
  4. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    Things are looking very good indeed! :clap The lines of the tank to seat are great and flow well. The shorter filler tower looks much better IMHO and as another said there would be no real loss in capacity there. Any new news? :ear

Hey Ken - You mentioned reaching out to me before manufacturing mine to verify choices...if not too late I'd prefer the black (call me a poser if you will) as the graphics we are working on just don't work on the other colors as well IMHO. I can live with the orange if too late but would prefer the black at this point. :freaky
  5. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Beautiful project!

Love the lines of the design.

Will it fit my 950SM?

THX!!
  6. PowerCell

Oddometer:

No problem Poser... :lol3

I'll still reach out to you prior to molding and confirm the black.

7. PowerCell

Oddometer:

Yes it will...

8. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Ken, less than 2 weeks out?

RIDE ON!
  9. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon

I am a happy camper!! Gonna start a savings pile for one! Do you mind if I cross market the tank on the 950SM chronicles?
  10. PowerCell

Oddometer:

Sure... go forth and multiply... :thumb

11. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    So how's production going? Still on schedule for end of October/beginning of November? So excited. Thanks.
  12. PowerCell

Oddometer:

Well, as it stands we're running about two weeks behind. As you've seen in the latest pix, we've made quite a few small changes to the tank, and I think all will agree it's even better than before. I'm pretty pumped with the improvements and they're easily worth the short delay. We'll be at the foundry his week and from there the machine shop will install the tooling for the fuel filler and all the nutserts.

On another note, I've been working with Chip Munn to source all the OEM KTM mounting hardware. We've got everything in stock with the exception of the lower tank mounts. KTM has them back ordered until the end of November. I've reached out to all the larger parts supply houses looking for some inventory, but no luck. I'll keep on it and let you guys know if I find another source for these parts.

13. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about how and where to install quick disconnects near the petcocks for quicker/easier removal and install of the tank, but I might have thought of a better way. Better until someone gets in gear and starts making the CPC connector PowerCell showed earlier in the thread that replaces the petcocks entirely, that is!

We need to extend the crossover line anyway. How about cutting the longer part of the crossover line, to the right of the Tee that goes to the fuel pump, and then installing a double-shutoff CPC connector there? You would have to fish the right side line in front of the front cylinder, but it would mean you only have to deal with two quick disconnects to install/remove the tank. One on the crossover line and one to the carbs. You wouldn't have to remove the line from the Tee to the fuel pump each time. The fuel pump and crossover system would come off with the tank.

The only things I'm not sure about with this configuration are:

1. How hard would it be to fish that line through each time?
    2. Would a double-shutoff CPC connector flow enough to keep up with the demands of the pump/carbs/engine?
  14. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    I never liked the crossover in the first place. I recomend dumping it and running both sides to a Y connector in the valley between the carbs. The fuel pump can lift the fuel the few inches needed.

As a side note, I'm actually getting ready to do a first run build of my quick release connectors. I've worked things out with Colder Products on sourcing the needed parts and our first build will be 100 sets. No price or delivery date just yet...

[​IMG]

15. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    Count me in on the quick disconnects when you do get that far...#1 in!
  16. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    #2!

So is the female part here a standard CPC part threaded into a flange, or is the whole part custom with some CPC internal components and button?
  17. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always wanted to get rid of the crossover but I didn't think I could still utilize all of the available fuel. Thanks for this info. And I'm also in for some disconnects when they become available.
  18. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    We're making a new CNC machined hard anodized aluminum housing that will feature CPC internals.

19. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Those are some tiny channels for aluminum, aren't they? Need me to bust out some FEA tools? :lol3
  20. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Send paypal invoice when there ready ken. Thanks