The Way South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rockymountainoyster, Dec 19, 2012.

1. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Looking for Tricepilot

[​IMG]
    Comida buena

[​IMG]
    Guanajuato

[​IMG]
    Navidad en Guanajuato

[​IMG]
    El teatro: Guanajuato

[​IMG]
    Detail of teatro.

[​IMG]
    Christmas Eve SMA

[​IMG]
    S. Claus delayed.

[​IMG]
    Church interior Christmas Eve

[​IMG]
    Shrine to Virgen de Guadalupe, protectress of SMA

[​IMG]
    SMA Christmas Morning

[​IMG]
    SMA Christmas Morning

[​IMG]
    SMA Christmas Morning
  2. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Any Questions?
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, a gringo has to make a peso any which way.:evil

Time for some humour!

Xicmocuili nonamic...quichiuhqueh...ompaqui! :lol3

That one had them rolling in the aisles in Tehuipango!:freaky
  4. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Huicholes y frijoles y loma de cerdo oh my!
  5. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where'd ya disappear to today? Thought you were a few cars back when I got on the cuota to SMA, and then ya weren't? Hope your gps showed you the way home. I made it to my casita just before sunset.
  6. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    That's some pretty good stuff right there. Reminds me of the joke about the mouse and the elephant.

Xicmocuili ixquich cihuatlahueliloque!! .........quichiuh.
  7. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride with Miguelito over to the Sierra Gorda today. It is the mountain range to the east of San Miguel de Allende. If you are planning a trip out that way I would recommend an overnight so that you can really do it justice. It was kind of a smoky/hazy day and we were moving pretty quickly so no photos. We went through some great little towns along the way and positive signs of prosperity are everywhere. One really needs to get away from the borders and tourist destinations to see and appreciate the "real" Mexico. I will update with some route #'s and town names when I can sit down with map and cup of coffee manana. I am not a big fan of "corporate coffee" but there is a "corporate coffee" store here in SMA that has comfortable seating, predictable coffee, and a very good, fast Internet connection for foto uploads. It is located right on a corner of "The Jardin". Across the Jardin from the chain store is a place called La Terraza. They make a decent cappuccino and it is a great place to sit and watch the buzz of the Jardin. It also has a good Internet connection. It is right next to La Parroquia which is said to be the most photographed church in Mexico. It is a fanciful structure that is reminiscent of Neuschwanstein, King Ludwig's castle in Bavaria, that was the model for the Disney castle.
    Outside of SMA, on the road to Dolores Hidalgo, the birthplace of the Mexican Revolution are several hot springs. I went to Escondido Place. It is a clean, very well kept place with changing rooms, rest rooms, snack bar, and numerous pools inside and out with varying temperatures. There is even a very nice lap pool. The water seems to be constantly flowing and changing. At this holiday season there are lots of Mexican families there. There were some lockers but I felt no need to investigate or use them. My friend and I, and everyone else just hung or stacked there stuff outside of the baths. I have been to public places like this in the states that were infested with filthy, thieving, pot smoking hippies that did not feel nearly as safe :rofl
  8. miguelito

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics of the ride we did yesterday, (taken on previous trips out that way).

Just about to drop offf the altiplano and descend to Victoria:
    [​IMG]

Between Victoria and Santa Catarina
    [​IMG]

Approaching Penamiller.
    [​IMG]

Riding up toward Pinal de Amoles.
    [​IMG]

Hwy 120 between Pena Blanca and Pinal de Amoles.
    [​IMG]

Same as above.
    [​IMG]
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:

Cuacualli chiahuiztli!
  10. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the pix miguelito! What a great day. BiciMapas loaded on my Garmin Montana 650T have served me well on a number of occasions now. I still carry paper maps for reference.
  11. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Hanging here until at least after the first of the year. I am thinking of taking some Spanish classes. Anyone have any leads on those in San Miguel. There is plenty of information available here, muchos gringos, but it is always nice to have some first hand info. I am going to head over to Mexico City around 1/12/13 and park my bike at a friend's place to fly down to Chile for about a month. Was originally going to ride down there but left Colorado about a month too late.

San Miguel de Allende is a really nice place, it is no wonder that so many gringos have come here and stayed. The restaurants and even the corporate coffee shop are filled with gringos and Mexicans alike both tourists and locals. The people on the streets are friendly and welcoming. There is some great riding from here as miguelito has shown me. Yesterday it finally warmed up a bit and was very pleasant, shirt sleeve weather. It gets chilly at night and hotel rooms, unless you are in a very fancy place, don't tend to be heated. More to come...
  12. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Huichol Beadwork

[​IMG]
    Quinceana
  13. miguelito

Oddometer:
    Spanish lessons: Dianna recommends the school on Orizaba. It's the only one on Orizaba, (Orizaba is across the street from the Instituto). Not sure of the name of the school, but it's commonly referred to as "Josefina's".
  14. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    I started there this morning! It excellent. Thank you. It is called Centro Mexicano de Lengua y Cultura o Josephina's.
  15. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  16. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Welcome Mark! Glad to see you here. Still loving following your RR and looking forward to my next trip to SA. I am actually flying down to Santiago on 1/15 and will be there for a month. I will follow your travels and maybe we will cross paths.
  17. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    "El Glisan" 12/31/12

[​IMG]
    "El Glisan"

[​IMG]
    Taking One For the Team

[​IMG]
    Dia del Los Muertos Figurines

[​IMG]
    Solo Sax 12/31/12

[​IMG]
    Hello 2013

[​IMG]
    Local Humor

[​IMG]
    Light and Shadow
  18. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Dave, Your spanish is already pretty good...continuing education...way to go! I really enjoyed reading your RR and to be teased by what will come after Zacatecas! I hope you'll continue your report while in Chile. Wishing you a fabulous 2013! Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:

Quemaca, tehuetzquiti.:clap
  20. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Yeah, whatever Mike and Schizz said! My translator blew out. Thanks for posting the pix Jim. You guys think I have enough crap loaded onto that beast? Pretty ugainly in gravel and on the cobbles of SMA. Cloudy and wet here today. A good day for Spanish class, homework, a leisurely lunch, and some really fine girl watching! :rofl