Choices choices...

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Orgoth225, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Orgoth225

Orgoth225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well The more I look to hack my Kz400 the more daunting of a task it seems. In the long run I can see problems for the fact that I want a vehicle for long distance travel and not only is the k under powered, but i don't know about how long it would last with the extra strain of a sidecar. So I'm thinking on either getting a Chang/dnepr/Ural and replacing the engine with a BMW airhead or just seeing if I can find an early GL1000 goldwing, strip it down for weight reduction and mounting the heaviest sidecar I can find. In the end I'm trying to find the most reliable and economic solution as an everyday reliable transport with the option of global travel later on... Do you guys think that is a good idea or is there any better hack combinations?
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    If you want reliable and economical, AND capable of global travel, I don't think I'd be considering a 30-year old Kawasaki. :lol3

I also think you need to figger out what your budget is. Because there's some guys who would say the most reliable, economical, round-the-world rig will cost around $40,000, while others will say that a Honda Ruckus is the perfect answer.

You might want to spend some time on the Horizons Unlimited website. Lots of good info there. One of your key considerations should be how easy is it to work on, and how easy is it to get parts. Because even if you put together a reliable rig, it's still gonna break down. Over and over again.
  3. zipper421

zipper421 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i love the old hondas
    naked gold wing
    they run for ever.
    just my 2 cents
  4. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I agree with Zipper old unfaired wings lots power very reliable used spare parts reasonable everywhere I had one with a Ural wish I'd kept it.DB
  5. DavePave

DavePave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you mostly going to be on-road? How much and how difficult are any off-road sections, if you intend taking any such routes?

I agree with Drone that I wouldn't want to consider a 30 year old bike. But my concern would be finding parts in the middle of no where.
  6. Orgoth225

Orgoth225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I primarily looking for something for on road conditions but I would like to retain some capacity for off road if I need it, budget is that of a college student, little to non existent, a few grand at the most :cry...
  7. irondad01

irondad01 Irondad01

Oddometer:
    With only a few grand to work with and maybe globe travel in the future I think I would look into a used rig to get my feet wet and then when travel time gets nearer upgrade. Maybe have more money available and better know what you want and need. If you get a good deal on a used rig you can probably get your money back out of it. Carl
  8. ricmachado

ricmachado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR with Enduro sidecar :D

Cheap, easy maintenance, and some have done RTW trips with them. easy to find parts, redmenace had some for sale, not sure if still has.

decent job off-road, decent job on road, not great at anything but good on everything.
  9. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    There you go. No money but big plans? KLR with either an enduro sidecar, or just a cargo-type car. Like this one here, except older and more beat up--

[​IMG]

LINK to that rig above if you want to see more.
  10. DavePave

DavePave Been here awhile

Oddometer: