MOTUS: New Sport Tourer built in Alabama

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Reverend12, Sep 23, 2009.

1. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    You do know that the ~ONLY~ similarity between Motus and EH was that the end product was a motorcycle, right? There could be no two different business models than those two companies. You keep bringing this point up, but you fail to understand the difference.

EH was venture capitalists at their lowest hour getting capital and promising a never-going-to-happen ROI with targets set on Harley.

Motus isn't asking for investment dollars, they are not hitting up the state for capital, they are not building a 10k bike/year factory, they are not funneling millions of investor dollars into their pockets.

What is it, exactly, that you do not understand about that? Why do you care WHAT they do since you won't even pony up cash for a Harley (a bike you actually want)? Why did I respond to a JerryH post?
  2. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Right on.

And: :rofl:rofl
  3. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

JerryH is back!
  4. wcohl

wcohl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The last DC IMS show I attended, most of the manufacturers were a no show. It was mostly local dealers representing the various brands and the rest of the show was a giant flea market of vendors with inflated prices to cover their entrance fee. It wasn't worth the cost of admission.
    <!-- / message -->
  5. pringles mcingles

pringles mcingles no me joda

Oddometer:
    Yeah, last year's was a lot of misc vendors; not as much this year. I didn't realize the costs associated w/ showing at the IMS, but MOTUS was there last year and I enjoyed talking with the rep. I'm a big fan; I hope they can pull it off.
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only came back to make a comment about how they had missed another one of their own deadlines. They said they would have bikes for sale before the end of the year. I guess now it will be the end of THIS year?

What is even more annoying is that they have not explained what the problem is. Since I am not going to buy one, it might seem that I would have no interest in what they do. But for some reason I keep waiting and wondering. Why do they keep making promises and breaking them? A situation like this can cause all manner of speculation, a lot of it negative. And surely whoever is running Motus knows this.

I'll check this thread again in 3-4 months. I don't expect there to be any change.
  7. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:

Fixed it for you.
  8. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Moths, Motus, come in, come in, where ever you are:rofl:rofl
  9. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'd think they'd be putting engines into motorcycles... :huh
  10. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Yeah no kidding right? Maybe they should get to work and actually start selling a product rather than vapor ware.
  11. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good they're expanding their product line :huh
  12. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    WTF? I hope you are kidding.
  13. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ive been watching for these bikes to be released since they were announced and Im still excited for them. Bummed, at the price point though and certainly wont be able to afford one for a very long time....
    I hope they're amazing bikes the exceed everyone's expectations and that they build lots of them.

He's to another choice of American motorcycle

:freaky
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    ftfy
  15. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Our grandchildren MIGHT like them one day maybe.:lol3
  16. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is a Motus? I can't remember what this thread is about?
  17. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee

Oddometer:
    The bike has been basically unchanged for the last year. I'm wondering if the production issues are more regulatory/bureaucratic in nature... as in getting the bike through the EPA/NHTSA approval process.

A couple years ago, while I was in the UK on business, I stopped by the huge motorcycle show in Birmingham. Lots of neat bikes that we can't get here in America, like the Honda VFR1200 Crosstourer (adventure-ized version of the VFR sport tourer), KTM Freeride 350, etc. Why? Because it costs hundreds of thousands to perhaps a million dollars to get a bike through the regulatory process. Even though Honda has pushed the VFR1200 through, because the engine in the Crosstourer is slightly different (cam profiles), they have to go through the entire regulatory process again. Same with KTM; the Freeride 350 has a detuned 350 EXC-F engine but would have to go through the process.

This isn't just a matter of money, but also of time. Nothing is fast when you run it through the federal bureaucracy... they're not interested in time to market because what does that matter to the EPA or the NHTSA? The problem with a parasitic bureaucracy is that it leads to a business environment where only large companies, or companies that have lots of money around them, can successfully launch in regulated markets.

I hope Motus launches... and I probably will consider one. That engine does sound fantastic. If I can take a little off of the exhaust note, so it's more like a stock Corvette sound... quiet and rumbly unless you've got the throttle open... then it would be perfect. Obnoxious, but only when I want it to be.
  18. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is certainly an expense and takes some time. But these days, if you know what you're doing and your engine/software meet the standards, it is a predictable expense and time - a standard cost of doing business that all mfgs work through. If this is Motus' problem, then it is one which should have been anticipated and factored into their delivery schedules.

- Mark
  19. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think they got all their approvals.
  20. skortch

skortch mmm... curvy

Oddometer: