Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Burren Rider, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    It's just chain slap. I have ignored it for over a year. I barely notice it anymore. Of course, my LeoVince exhaust helps.
  2. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded from a 09' KLR.... every little noise on this new bike is on max AMPLIFY :dj
  3. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Interesting....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SbIOxw9nc_4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AoMRG3ZqS50?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    how loose is the chain, looks excessive.

Is the center stand worth buying, its on my list of goodies unless its more trouble than its worth.
  5. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    That's a question that only each bike owner can answer.

Some will swear you need one.

Others will swear you don't.

Personally, I use a paddock stand on swingarm bobbins when in the garage if I want the bike leveled, and pop a packjack under the seat when on the road.
  6. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you tour and have a chain you need a centerstand. Otherwise oiling the chain on the road is a PIA.

If the bike will always spend its nights at home then I would skip it. A lift is cheaper.
  7. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

Chain slap for sure. I have experienced it offroad as well. No biggie.

JG
  8. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also believe if you have an adventure bike, a centerstand is essential. I cannot imagine trying to change a tire without one. I am sure I could figure it out, but it would not be pretty. A centerstand just makes working on the bike easier.

JG
  9. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is totally normal, it's just Triumph used what seems to be UHMW for swingarm protector and usually it is made from softer material so it does not make quite that much sound.

I seen one other bike that does it - Aprilia Futura...but it is much louder noise on Futura.
  10. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the centerstand replies, back on the list.
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I routinely get a nasty-sounding chain slap on my TE610 when I stab the rear brake to lock up the rear going into a hard corner. It's not doing any damage, though, as (like on the T8XC) it's just smacking against the swingarm guard.
  12. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    +1

Out of dozens of bikes this is the first I've had a centerstand on. Well, maybe since the Honda 350-Four I had in the 70's. :D For a bike of this size with tubed tires I also think it's a must-have. It makes servicing it so much easier for both on the road as well as at home in the garage. I also like the versatility of a centerstand for loading or unloading touring/camping gear.

We use the enduro stand on the dualsports, and while it would work for the Tiger it's at the upper limit of capacity for one. Still do-able though, I tested it a couple of times with the Versys and it was fine. The tiger is about 25lbs more than the Kawi.

http://www.endurostar.com/
    Here's a SE up on one. Once a bike is on the side stand it's nothing to lean into it and get enough lift to slip the stand under a convenient prop spot, front or rear. I have my endurostar stand marked for the proper height for the Husky so there's no fiddling around with it in the field to get it set right.
    BTW, endurostar comes from one of our fellow inmates.

[​IMG]
  13. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use one made from DYI shop...2 threaded rods and...don't know what it's called in English. Usually used on steel cables to adjust tension.
  14. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's called a "turnbuckle".
  15. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may sound silly but the first time I took the tiger off road I got a lot of noise that sounded like chain slap.....
    I happened to have to lift the seat off for something and the tool kit was bouncing around under the seat. Secured the tool kit .... noise gone.
  16. round the block don

round the block don Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This post is a year old but maybe someone can help me anyway. How do you remove the baffle from the Arrow exhaust? Mine appears to be riveted together and would involve drilling, not something I want to do. The sound as is is very quiet, hardly noticable, really, though I do appreciate the nice looks.
  17. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I'm not having a go here but this subject has been done to death on here and other forums.
    Yes it's the chain slapping the plastic guards. That's why those guards are replaceable service items. I believe every 12K miles.
    :deal
  18. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    I've read numerous complaints on it, no fixes. :*sip*

Being a senior service technician I'm not satisfied simply replacing it at 12k being it doesn't fix the core problem of faulty design. After looking at the swingarm assy, I can see where the plastic/rubber chain gaurd on the under side has some play and it seems the noise is amplified when the chain hits the guard and then in turn hits the swingarm. I'm wondering if removing the guard and placing some sort of dampener/isolating material between the swingarm and the guard may help.

I will post up some results if it works

Aaron
  19. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of my dualsports/adventure bikes I had did have same need for replacement every 10-15000 km. It simply wears out, e.g. chain does touch it. The only way around it is installing swingarm axle that it lines with front sprocket axle.
    Damping material may help, but chain still will slap against guard. If you replace guard with for examply DYI softer - it will wear out quicker. If it is indeed UHMW PE - I am happy, as it is has better abrasion resistance than mild steel and almost as slippery as teflon. Worked 5 times longer than stock on my DR. So - damping material between is probably only thing that can be done.
  20. TerraUnFirma

TerraUnFirma Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer:
    +1 on the EnduroStar stand...works great on my DRZ or the Tiger and it's very solidly constructed...zero concerns about strength to support a Tiger. With all the effort people go to trying to shave a few pounds off a bike, adding a center stand certainly seems to be going the wrong way.

I do have a lift for doing service when at home, so no need there.