Dual Sport Maps Android App Review

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Thanantos, Jan 3, 2012.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Make sure they find the website too.

2. Craig McCurdy

Craig McCurdy BIGMAC

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  3. KJD19892

KJD19892 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm......any idea if that will work good with verizon? the reviews didn't say much about it unless I missed them. Verizon is the only carrier that we've found that works really well at our house and our store. AT&T only works if you do things like stand on your head under the tree in the yard while speaking pig latin. lol
  4. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Nope, that is a GSM phone. Pretty sure it's ATT only. I don't even think it works with T-Mobile though I may be incorrect with that. If I were to get one, I wouldn't bother getting a plan with it anyway. Just cache my maps ahead of time and roll.
  5. KJD19892

Oddometer:
    Hmm that might be a good idea, can it still use wifi without being activated on a plan? I know some can and some can't.
  6. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    You can be pretty confident it will work wifi only. It is sold by Sony and not a network. They have no reason to ham string it.

7. KJD19892

Oddometer:
    Good point. New item on the Christmas list! lol Thanks!!
  8. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Please post a review on the main app thread (in my sig). I want one too but have yet to pull the trigger...
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought the droids used towers to locate. If no plan, you just have a very small map?
  10. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Nearly all android devices have GPS. So, you use satellites to locate. The app has offline maps which are free and you can load over Wifi. No monthly fee to a telco required.

11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure why so many people are stuck on that.

Virtually all of my smartphones for years and years have actual GPS hardware. They do also include software to provide a location estimate from towers and WiFi if you are indoors out of GPS range in ADDITION to the GPS. Basically, they out perform a GPS by even working where a GPS can't.
    In fact my current phone, a Samsung SIII not only provides location data from the US GPS system, but also from the Russian Glonass system. I'm indoors right now getting location information from 23 satellites (plus the cell towers and WiFi). Needless to say, location data is quick and accurate.
  12. Valleyam

Valleyam South Australian Tiger resistance group

Oddometer:
    Angaston, Barossa Valley, South Australia.
    Hi craftycoder, I downloaded your app today and thought I would get out on the bike and try it out. I downloaded the Australia Oceania map. Asked the app to find mt current position, all worked ok. What I don't understand is how to start recording my tracks as I rode around . I had the gps function turned on and the app open but the trip meter didn't record any distance and I don't have a record of my tracks taken for the day. What am I doing wrong? Is there a tutorial that explains this part of its function.

cheers
    Andy
  13. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Settings => monitoring => save track to file
  14. Valleyam

Oddometer:
    Hi craftycoder, there are 3 options in the monitoring menu, the "save track to GPX" was ticked, should this be deselected and selected again before setting off ? or or do I leave it selected and just press "save current track" to start tracking
    Cheers Andy
  15. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    It should be checked. It makes me wonder why you think it isn't recording the tracks. Turn on the Active Log layer. The orange line is the track that is being stored. It gets exported to the SD card daily though you can force that export to the file system via Settings=>Monitoring=>Save current track

This conversation needs to be moved to the DSM app thread in my signature going forward.
  16. Valleyam

Oddometer:
    ok starting to get the idea now (as you probably guessed I have no practicle use before) What will stop the app from recording the track. I went for a walk and at one stage I stopped to check if it was still recording my track and noticed the app was no longer open. Opened the app and continued walking. when I got back I noticed the track had only recorded to the point i reopened the application. I'm sure I will get the idea eventually but just thought i would ask the question.
  17. spicerider

spicerider spicerider

Oddometer:
    I'm sold on the app, but can't find it in the play store.

Is this still available?

Thanks.
  18. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    If you are talking about Dualsportmaps.com its currently not available in the app store. Google made a change to their map API that basically broke the web portion of the dualsportmap.com website so CraftyCoder pulled the app from the store. Those that bought the app before he pulled it can still find it while they are logged in under their name linked to the app store and still use the app, but if you haven't bought it before then, it won't show up.

Here's the long thread on the app. There's a lot of people hoping craftycoder is able to revive the web portion of the app and basically fix it, but its going to require a lot of work and he's currently got a lot of other projects on his plate like his motobrain app. - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691537
  19. Live2explore

Live2explore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What happen to the app?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    See post above yours.
    Live2explore likes this.