Hacks-n-Pups

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by PackMule, Dec 20, 2007.

1. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Actually, they DID get out just after this photo was made.

They aren't all that jazzed about water lately though... In May-June they accompanied me on a 45-day, 631-mile river trip in a 15-foot cedar strip canoe from North Georgia to Fort Morgan at the mouth of Mobile Bay.

[​IMG]

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1918998080_RwLdPcn?width=425&height=240"></iframe>
  2. coupe1942

coupe1942 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The little girl, Hope, didn't take well to being put into the hack. She wanted to dive over the side and hit the floor running. Long drop for her to do that, but I coudn't get a good shot of her, as she just wouldn't stand still or sit still. Murph and Dusty are much more photogenic and patient in being photographed. The rig isn't running and I have not put my tether straps in the hack just yet, so I really don't know how she will react to riding in the hack with the other two just yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8182899136/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8182899422/

Sorry, but the grab the link stuff didn't work for me. Old computer, I suppose, but could not make it work correctly.
  3. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/url] IMG_3827 by coupe1942, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] IMG_3821 by coupe1942, on Flickr[/IMG]

Coupe's new schnauzer !
    Sweet little Schnauzer ! MIne thinks he's always in charge of all other dogs and should have been a poker player as he bluffs his way out of deals he shouldn't be able too.DB
  4. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    Wow, those are some well trained dogs! I've been Labradored out of a canoe on two non-consecutive occasions. If a yellow lab tips my canoe some day, I'll have the complete set.

Though as I'm thinking about it my Golden, Buckwheat, never once knocked a canoe over despite spending a non-trivial percentage of his life in the pond. Love the pics and love the paddling!
  5. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That was the only whitewater section of the entire 631-mile trip and the first time either dog had been in moving water. I'd removed most of our gear from the canoe to run this section, and the pups didn't quite know where to sit in the boat without being crowded into their spaces in-between gear. Just after the video was made, after taking on water in the second wave from the dogs both moving to the right side, the canoe washed up on a rock and broached, making for several tense moments until we could free it.

[​IMG]
  6. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Off topic, but for you hacks-n-pups guys, how cold is too cold to ride with your pooch?

I've never really pondered this, as down in the Southeastern USA, heat is normally the issue. But I'm pondering a 100 mile ride tomorrow with Bryson in the hack, temps will be in the upper 40's at the start, and warming up to about 58 Fahrenheit. It just occurred to me that it might be too cold for the pooch. He never really has been one to lay down in the sidecar. He is always nose to the breeze.
  7. Sidewise

Sidewise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nicky not quite a pup and no-way a fit.

[​IMG]
  8. stargzrgrl

stargzrgrl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Getting our pup acclimated to her new ride.

Headlights Included!
  9. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I think it might depend on the design of your rig. I've had Barley out for rides in the mid to upper 20s. With the tonneau cover partly zipped shut he can get out of the wind entirely by laying down on his memory foam mattress, but usually he sits up with his head tucked into the curve of the windshield. Except when it's snowing. He likes to snap at snowflakes, so I keep the speed (wind chill) and time of exposure down.

If I ride with him below freezing I often wear my Held Steves instead of insulated winter gloves as a reminder: if my hands are cold it's a reminder to check on Barley's comfort level. 100 miles isn't far when the temp rises that much; you always have the option of pulling over and taking a walk for an hour till the temps rise to his comfort level.
  10. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    We decided against it today. Bryson is big and he can't ride with the windshield on. So he is in the breeze at all times. I've only seen him lay down in the tub once, but I suppose he would if he got cold. I'm going to work on making him some winter clothing for longer rides.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
  11. crampfan

crampfan Banned

Oddometer:
  12. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few from this past weekends fire road cruise...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. coupe1942

Oddometer:
    I am still working on my Dog Taxi build. My dogs are sure anxious to get it finished out and back on the road. I am takin' my own sweet time though, as a recent foot surgery has slowed down my progress a bit. I added some graphic decals and I am still waiting on my fenders to be completed with checkerboards, too. Lots to get done before we're back to riding about the neighborhood, but sooner or later we will get there. I can't wait to see all the UDF when my Dog Taxi is complete and the hack pups are riding in it. Got much more to do, first. Murph loves to dress up and stare out the dog hatch of the hack as we ride.

[​IMG]
    IMG_4321 , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Dog Taxi Idea - 2, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    1817 , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    1828, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_4326, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    1847 by coupe1942, on Flickr

Even had a Dog Taxi t-shirt made up for myself:

[​IMG]
    Dog Taxi t-shirt design, on Flickr
  14. SwampFox883R

SwampFox883R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the Uncertain?Rendezvous 2012 sidecar gathering at Caddo Lake, Texas:

Hunter:
    [​IMG]

Happy & __________:
    [​IMG]

Maddie:
    [​IMG]
  15. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    We just reattached the car and cycle so we needed a test ride, Justin has a 12v blanket for the 28 degree weather.DB

[​IMG]
  16. Got2Moto

Got2Moto Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer:
    ^
    Justin's hard core rider & one lucky dog!
  17. coupe1942

Oddometer:
    Got my fenders back, but just mocked or laying on top of the wheels in this photo. It does at least present some picture of what the Dog Taxi may look like as completed. Lots to do yet, but Murph still knows how to get in by himself and get ready to ride. I have a custom hack door that will be coming, so he will have to adjust to that a bit. He is used to riding with his head stuck out the dog hatch (door) of the hack.

[​IMG]
    2273 by coupe1942, on Flickr
  18. Rigged4Life

Rigged4Life n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

Love this thread! Myself, my German Shephard, Tau (Tswana for Lion) and my girlfriend packed up house and home and have been on the road for a while now touring the backroads/dirtroads of South Africa. You can view our website blog/journal at www.smilinginthewind.com

Enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an awesome trip unfolding. I look forward to following along from afar! :clap:clap:clap
  20. coupe1942

Oddometer:
    Anyone seen the movie Red Dog? It isn't really about a hack pooch, but the dog does ride a motorcycle and other interesting rides during the movie. It is an Aussie movie, so it took me a bit to get into the language difference at first. Red Dog sure could be a hack buddy as evidenced by his attitude shown. Not sure what breed he is, but he was one cool dog and the story is all about him and his exploits; life and death. My hack pooches have many of the same qualities, so if you do see the movie, it is worth the price of rental and is a good family movie as well.