What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. kconville

kconville Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Well, today's another day but I still want a California Touring.
    New wrinkle though is that I found out she sucks fuel like there's no tomorrow.

It's kind of like finding out your super hot girlfriend, who's crazy for you and makes everybody's head turn when you go by, has an eating disorder.
    Not a deal breaker necessarily, but not ideal either.

One test had the practical range at 120 miles. Damn.
  2. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I see those figures once in a while, but the real world results are a bit better - somewhere around 160 per tank with some better. That seems short legged to me as both my C-10 and Norge are good for a minimum of 200 miles before I start looking for gas. The 160 figure is the same I use for planning purposes on the Honda 750 Shadow - that's about where I hit reserve most of the time.

But yes, that still seems pretty short ranged for a touring motorcycle.

jdg
  3. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too soon to mention the Griso again?

:lol3
  4. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    No!

:deal
  5. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

pure awesomness
  6. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would be nice too, except for the short range and the stupid windshield (I don't like windshields on my bikes)
  7. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I tested the California Touring today. Very good linear power (I was impressed considering it's 700+lb weight). The windshield is easily removable with a few bolts. Fit and finish is great. Lean angle is much farther than the RK I test today.

I'm 6'5", 250 lbs. The left cylinder head was within a quarter inch of my leg. But even in 100 degree heat, it wasn't that bad. The RK had more heat radiating off the engine than the Guzzi.

Which would I choose? Road King or Guzzi 1400 Touring?

By a long shot...

The Guzzi.

It rode better. Handling was better. The details on the bike were better overall (machined spacers and headlight cooling fins just to name a couple). The seat was taller and more comfortable than the Harley. The big Guzzi vibrates at idle like any other cruiser. But as soon as you roll onto the throttle, it's as smooth as butter. After the test ride, I told the dealer, "NOW I understand the 'cruiser' thing. It just has to be the right bike." And for me, I can definitely see my self on a Guzzi. Besides, Ewan McGregor owns one!
  8. malott442

malott442 Slacker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My first sport bike. Millenium edition x1.

I MISS MISS MISS THAT BIKE
  9. kconville

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. My brother is going to look at one tomorrow. This particular bug has bit him hard.

I have never owned a cruiser or a big tourer and have only had a passing interest over the last couple of years. This big Guzzi is a game changer for me as it appeals to me on a much broader level than the (usual) transverse twins. This bike melds a standard with a cruiser with a tourer all with brilliant Italian design and ease of maintenance. Truly a unique machine.
  10. wyno

wyno Griso 1200

Oddometer:
    Flyinace1,
    I have one. A Griso SE Black Devil. Got it new 3 months ago and it's got 12000km on it already.
    Mike
  11. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Amen.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I am in love. The big tourer, the bad ass power cruiser, the ultimate sport-TOURER!
  13. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Today the Yamaha FZ-09 has grabbed me by the balls & is pulling hard. Just bought my Daughter a CB 500 F, so I won't be in the market for a new bike for at LEAST a year but, when the day finally comes I haven't seen ANYTHING currently on the market that would keep an FZ-09 out of my garage. Currently filling up a piggy bank that's labeled FZ-09! :clap
  14. kconville

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is cool alright. Amazing amount of motorcycle for the money, it looks like Yamaha is out to own that segment.

The FZ 09 looks like the ideal real world sport bike.
  15. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 And amazingly, it is lighter than the CB500!?! :eek1
  16. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So...Is this a conceptual infatuation, or have you seen one in person? I can't get past the styling.
  17. kconville

Oddometer:
    Of course Mr. Spikes will speak for himself, but from my POV it isn't too offensive.
    The headlight can be changed, the erector set out back can be eliminated, and the color highlights on the wheels be painted over. Then it would be about on a par with most of it's contemporaries, of which none are going to win any beauty contests.

I'd get the red one.
  18. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike. Is it just me, or does it bear some resemblance to a TDM 950 - a beefier TDM perhaps?

I wonder what a flat plane triple sounds like?
  19. basque

basque Infidel

Oddometer:
    Not even a little bit. I've always loved the bike, but after sitting on one today, I feel like I owe it to my heirs to buy one before they stop making them. Shitty weather is fast-approaching the NE and I'm still trying to justify buying it immediately if not sooner... :lol3

Remove a couple of cheesy stickers, the rear fender, and you've got a timeless, all-the-power-and-performance-that-I-realistically-will-ever-need-in-the-street, looker that will always turn heads and make you smile.

And yes, it took entirely too long to insert all those hyphens.
  20. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    V Star 650 Classic :freaky