Tiger 955i - Your Opinions

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by BHRBiker, Jul 14, 2001.

1. guzzigeezer

guzzigeezer Old wrinkly git

Oddometer:
    Gosforth, Cumbria, UK or Colne, Lancs, UK
    [​IMG]

Picked up a bargain low mileage '02 955i in May 09. An "Expert" had told previous owner engine strip required it actually was a hooked front sprocket. So new chain + sprockets sorted it
    I was really lucky as Triumph were just having parts sale so got from Lings Online http://www.lingstriumph.com/triumphcentralApp_core.LassoApp

Mainstand kit £17-00 - a must have
    Tiger Tank Bag £12-00 - not that good
    Sports Silencer £95-00 - sounds brill but remap required
    Gel Seats £104-00 pair - more comfotable - dubious about durability as covers seem thin.
    High Tinted Screen £42-00 - reduces some buffeting (I'm 6' 0")

They've still got some parts at these prices 19 Jan 2010

I found a half price genuine new pannier kit from my local dealers so have now got the bike totally sorted for touring.

These bikes are superb as long as you don't want to do any off road riding.
    Great tank range and superb comfort.
    I fitted one tooth oversize front sprocket which drops highway revs by about 500RPM slightly better mpg and no noticible lack of acceleration.

Biggest advice for any owner - Do not adjust chain as per manual this is wrong and causes nearly all the chain problems people moan about.

I am around 16 stone and have adjusted mine to around 55mm movement with bike on mainstand. If you can - sit on bike and if required with full luggage and pillion onboard and measure slack - then adjust to factory setting. Gives slight snatch at low revs but no stretch problems.

I had owned an 885i previously and this engine is million times smoother and more powerfull (a slight exageration)

Only drawbacks - definately a few sphincter moments when low speed manouvering and always feels like it's falling over on wet corners as it initially dives into a turn. (might be the avon tyres) Maintanance fiddly and time consuming but pretty easy.

I can see me living with this bike for many more years. Get one you won't be dissapointed.
    kyk007 and whambamthankyoumam like this.
  2. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good tip. Just checked mine and it was well tight. 'tis now slackened...
  3. johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy old thread brought back to life Batman!
  4. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This one may have set a record... Nearly a decade ago!!! Wow...

Gotta admit, one heck of a case of Thread CPR! :clap

Yes, I like Tigers too... :D
  5. macgart

macgart johnny mac

Oddometer:
    This thread is like a Tiger, it just goes on forever! :lol3

Good tip about the chain. Being a long time KTM guy, I was already accustomed to a slack chain. KTMs like 'em loose too.

Yes, maintenance is easy on these bikes. I've done all my own without any problems. Even valves are easy, plenty of room to get to and 25mm shims are east to find.

I can't wait to test out the ride with my new Race Tech Emulators installed. :evil

I had my seat done by Spencer Motocare, nice job reshaping and excellent foam. All I need now is some warm weather. :mad?
  6. grimbolius

grimbolius Mass Debater

Oddometer:
    I had my seat done by Spencer Motocare, nice job reshaping and excellent foam. All I need now is some warm weather. :mad?

Over here (australia) we're all waiting for cooler weather, too bloody hot to ride at the moment, (except at night). Pretty soft hey

grim....
  7. solohvs

solohvs somewhere around the bend

Oddometer:
    I came very close to getting last years Tiger. Very Impressive. Test road it several times. I could feel the low end and short shifted almost every gear - it pulls great.

I thought it handled well also and I didn't have to be doing the Ton up and over the Hogs Back like Patman and the wonderful road there abouts.

Triumph is back...
  8. Ackme

Ackme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I has my seat redone by Spenser last month. I got out for a 5 hour ride this past Sat. when the weather co-operated. I only did two relatively short stops and never thought twice about the seat. :thumb

When I got the seat back from Spenser I was not sure it was that great a change. It does not feel super cushy or even significantly different from the gel seat it replaced. However, with the gel seat I would definitely be getting a message after 3 or 4 hours that I needed a break.:huh

ack
  9. RandyB

RandyB .

Oddometer:
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!:lol3

Needs bigger bags. :umph
  10. worgoose

worgoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great now I am missing my Tiger:2cry
  11. RandyB

RandyB .

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Guy I bought mine from got an 07 GS. He was crying like a rat eating onions the other day when I called him. Wants to trade bikes.
  12. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Love that phrase!
  13. BigMark

BigMark Master Of Sophism

Oddometer:
    Using the scientifically accurate ratio of "Bang for Bucks" its a tough one to beat...

:ricky
  14. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    WOW +1 on the dead thread. Baldy even posted quite regularly back in the day. Everyone speculating on the endurance of the Tiger......proven. The best big bike ever-955i and you can buy a good one for 5 grand. Un-freakin-believable!

Hey johnny, did you get the tank bag jeet?
  15. largebore

largebore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just bought a usd 06 with 8000 miles. only riden it 3 times. i love it exsept i need a taller wind screen. hopfully that will cut down the noies.:D
  16. RandyB

RandyB .

Oddometer:
    Twisted Throttle has a wind deflector that looks nice. Laminar lip lookin' thing.
  17. largebore

largebore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks! i checked out twisted throttle site and thats probebly one of the better ones for tiger acssesorys.
  18. RandyB

RandyB .

Oddometer:
    Hurry up and buy it and report back. I'm cheap. :freaky
  19. dr zook

dr zook Dakar Tragic

Oddometer:
    How are the high milage Tigers holding up? Any big issues?
  20. gus

gus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't consider mine high mileage. It has 30,000 miles on it and no problems. It rides and runs like new. I bought it new 3 years ago Feb. I have been well satisfied. A lot of bike for the buck.