How do you secure your dog? Post pics here.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by RidingDonkeys, Mar 6, 2012.

1. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Something occured to me as I started drawing up ideas to secure the schnauzer in my sidecar. We've loosely mentioned this in a few threads, but have never really tackled it before. Based on the Hacks n Pups thread, there are a lot people who want to ride with their pooch. So let's consolidate our resources!

How do you secure your pup? Post pictures of your setup so we can all see your ingenuity!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  2. rathackman

rathackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I have a tether about 18" long that I have clipped to a rod mounted on the inboard side of the sidecar so it can slide forward or backward...I ONLY use it when I leave the rig to go into a business like a restaurant and have to leave Dina in the hack...she is a bit skitzy and someone could scare her into running off and hiding.

My philosophy is the the LAST thing I would want in the event of a wreck is to have my dog attached to the rig as it wrecked....I want her to either be thrown out or be able to jump away...

That is prolly not a popular view but I stick by it. Dina is 8 yo and has ridden in the hack her entire life in three countries and in every state west of the Mississippi.

Brian
  3. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    I use a chest harness with a leash from her back to the bike's luggage rack and another leash clipped to her collar and attached down inside the nose of the sidecar. I shorten them up so she just has room to stand or sit, but can't be thrown out. Doggles and adjust my driving to slow and smooth.

[​IMG]

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/6354484" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    cateyetech likes this.
  4. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am acutally tackling this task this weekend.

PetSmart (maybe Petco as well) and Fosters and Smith (online) sell a harness with an accompanying tether that attached to a LATCH anchor in a car. I intend of placing an anchor in the hack and then using the harness and tether as intended. Installation looks to be about an hour.
  5. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :raabia :wave Clementine! :clap
  6. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    A harness with a clip on (heavy duty) strap that is fitted to the floor with bolt and washers.

It allows him to sit or lay down but not enough slack to jump out and also does not put pressure on his neck.

Because of Wim Brooklyn's size (110lbs), I take out the lower part of the seat and put a piece of foam backed carpet for his comfort.

The photo angle does not really show it well.

[​IMG]
    T-C likes this.
  7. rathackman

rathackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to post a couple pix but apparently I am not allowed to add attachments and do not know how to add via a URL...
    Brian
  8. NitroMax

NitroMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. hopscotching

hopscotching On the road...

Oddometer:
    My old girl has no want to get out. Not sure if she could even if she wanted to (sucks to get old)... This is also her preferred direction for traveling.

[​IMG]

Got her a very nice custom Ural dog beg thou, makes the trip a little more comfortable for her....
    cateyetech likes this.
  10. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife holds them...and get blue marks all over her legs!!! we will have to find another solution! Last Sunday was their 1st ride!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cateyetech likes this.
  11. val. h.

val. h. On the wrong planet

Oddometer:
    I put a loop in the floor just to one side of the seat. I clip the lead to this. At the other end it's attached to a full chest harness. This allows our pooch to move around and lie down as she wishes within the hack. It is short enough though to prevent her from getting out.

Here in the UK it's law to secure pets into the sidecar or to the bike if riding solo.

Val.
  12. Steve In Ireland

Steve In Ireland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get that from Val?
  13. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Hell, that doesn't surprise me in Europe. I once got told by a cop in Germany that my cargo (two racks of beer) was not properly secured in my back seat. Apparently I was supposed to strap it down.

14. RottVet

RottVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    547 by Rottvet, on Flickr

One little puppy secure in the "rumble seat/trunk" via harness and leash. The bigger puppy is secured the same but leash is attached to an eyebolt on the inside wall of the chair. Being German, I just told them it is just like a BMW, but no mention where it is made! Goggles are a must, and in our country, tinted like sunglasses.
  15. SonnyAZ

SonnyAZ DesertDweller

Oddometer:
    I tell her to "Stay"... She will not get out until we have stopped and I tell her to.

[​IMG]
  16. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    My primary concern is him falling out. I have a Giant Schnauzer, and even when seated his center of gravity is well above the side of the tub. I honestly don't think he'd jump out.

17. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    For dogs in side cars, on the back of bikes, and in utes (pickups), there are conflicting needs to keep the dog on board and in a safe location when under way and not unnecessarily harming the dog in an accident.

What's called for is a weak link of consistent strength that won't harm the dog if it's thrown from the vehicle.

One option is a decent strength magnet on the end of a suitable length lead and, if necessary, a small steel plate in a suitable location.

I only thought of this years after we used to carry a couple of German Shepherds on the backs of bikes, but it would have been ideal with a short, 1 foot or so, lead to the centre front of their boxes. One in particular had an unholy fascination with trams (streetcars) and would leeeeeean out one side, before realising there was an equally, of not even more fascinating crowd of waiting would-be passengers on the footpath (sidewalk, why can't you people just speak english like the rest of us?) requiring inspection just as you came to a halt.
  18. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    The magnet is a great idea. I like the idea of something that will secure him from accidentally falling out but break away should we go for a flight.

19. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try a google search for "bicycle mount vacuum cups". There's a place, I think in Mr. Airy that sells them. Kind of like a suction cup but uses an adjustable vacuum instead. Might be worth a look.

I send you some links but my google-fu is weak behind the firewall.
  20. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Tracking those suction cups. It is my experience that those things don't really come loose though.