Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone asked about my boots
    My motorcycle boots are Rev'it Apache.
    I love them. They are so comfortable I often use them for hiking and just walking around in.
    And my hiking boots are Asolo. They are very rugged but since they are Gore Tex, they get hot at times.
    And both boots stink so bad, I have almost been kicked out of hostels.
    I mean REALLY bad.
  2. Hunter-Douglas

Hunter-Douglas rube

Oddometer:
    Everyone appreciates you capturing everything from such a cool journey, for these reasons:

1) it helps people escape the desk grind and contribute to a nationwide loss in productivity and GDP :evil
    2) it helps people map their own worldwide bail-out mission on the bike and your pics and reports are great resources for planning as well as making the time til departure go by that much faster

3) all of the above. :clap

Thanks guy!
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I was looking at some other blogs about other RTW trips and I think what sets me apart from some others is that I am just a normal guy that got fed up with the rat race, sold everything to live out my dream of traveling the world on a motorcycle.
    Others are these hard core, sponsored motorcycle dudes who plan everything and kind of makes it seem like a job.
    I don't have an aggenda. I am totally winging it a lot of times and I am honest with my feelings.
    It seems like I have mostly BMW guys following me and that is too bad. I like my moto but as I have said before, I am not a BMW guy perse. I like all motorcycles and my moto is my tool to see the world. I just feel it is the best bike for what I am doing. With that said, I am very much looking forward to the day I get a CRF250 in SE Asia and an Enfield in India.

Thanks for the kind words.
    I am heading to Slovakia and I really have no idea where I am going and what I am going to do there. And I am loving it
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Kathe just broke up with me
    Just goes to show you that it is not possible to have a relationship while traveling around the world
  5. neuro

neuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed, I am sorry about Kathe :((
    It was good to meet you here, and I hope you left with good memories of Krakow. May the good weather accompany you on the way to Slovakia.

Piotr

[​IMG]
  6. Halfdigitshort

Halfdigitshort n00b

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your report so much, couldn't keep silent any longer. There is some education to be found in your report also, I have shared with my daughters that I am following your RR. When we are driving together one of them will pop up with "where is that guy riding the motorcycle at now". We will bust out a world map and discuss where you are and how you got there, really has opened there eyes to the thought of travel and how small each person is on this big planet. Ages 9 and 14 aren't easy to entertain, but we always have good conversation regarding your travels.

Just saw that Kathe has decided to part ways, very sorry to hear, as always, you will look at that situation and evaluate it, learn from it and continue on your journey! Hoping for myself that one day I could book at Baja trip with you as a guide and hear more about this adventure first hand. Be safe and keep doing what you do!
  7. LUVMYDR

LUVMYDR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im not a BMW guy, I love my DR650 thumper and I ride from the desert trails to the mountain mud. Just got home from a 4 day trip to the eastern Sierras (solo) and loved it. As far as gear goes, I really need a good sleeping bag, air mattress, and tent that I can stand up in. Any suggestions? Keep in mind Im 60 yrs old with bad back (broke) and 4 knee surgeries so I really need some good gear.
  8. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    Sorry to hear about Kathe.

I suspect there are a lot of non-BMW guys reading your reports as it really is not about the bike but the adventure.

You do a great job of keeping it up to date, providing details of everything that happens (both good and bad) and a great "tell it like it is attitude".

Enjoy, the rest of your trip and the best of luck.
  9. AT86

AT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always think positiv, now you can continue your RR as:

WWW Report

World Wines Women
  10. lemosley01

lemosley01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Lalo.

Be safe out there.
  11. m&p products

m&p products Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you really didn't need anyone to tell you on your own blog what pictures to take and post besides we who know you best think you will have more fun solo! stay safe and keep up the good blog and of course have fun!
  12. Travis Lutter

Travis Lutter MMA

Oddometer:
    I am sorry that is terrible. Her loss.

I am Motorcycle guy. I have owned Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, KTM, and BMW motorcycles. I currently own all the brands but Yamaha. So not everyone that is following your trip is a BMW guy :). Happy Hunting for the Next Girl.

I plan to do a motorcycle trip similar to yours at some point. 3 kids and a wife make it difficult to be gone for very long. But in 18-20 years I hope to go on a adventure similar to yours. I am 40 now I don't think 60 will be to old but we will see.

Good Luck I am enjoying your posts keep them coming.

Travis Lutter
  13. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Bummer about the GF. That's a hard lesson to learn, but I suspect, not unexpected in a 800 day RTW trip. When one door closes, another opens. On the other hand, you can now gawk, guilt free, and share :D.

FWIW - I follow your report daily, and although I have an older BMW, I'm not a "BMW guy" - In fact, I spent the weekend riding my KTM 450 EXC up in the woods, and don't even like hanging out in coffee shops if that makes any difference.

Oh, and "F*!K them Nazi's bastards"!!! The story of the Holocaust still breaks my heart and makes me angry.
  14. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    You might already know about the scenic road up a mountain called Mangart? I was disappointed they charged me 5 euro to ride it but there were tunnels on top of tunnels and a great view.. I might be heading to Croatia tomorrow I'll watch for the yellow flying dutchman en route (not too many around here)

Sorry to hear about the gf... I can imagine it's tough for her as well. I'm currently in a small scenic town in Bosnia where there is lots of good adv riding in every direction, the social life is non stop and there are 2000+ (so I'm told) medical and dental students walking around all day. All I'm saying if they don't distract your mind maybe consider winter in Peru?

I love all brands of motos as well but at the moment not so fond of my broken BMW :umph Ride safe
  15. Rodsbike

Rodsbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about Kathe, but what will be, will be. Keep smiling and keep riding. Regarding your following. I have a KLR. I love F1 Motorsport and cars, but don't ride a Ferrari.
  16. Hunter-Douglas

Hunter-Douglas rube

Oddometer:
    What's the best motorcycle?

The one you're riding on.

Sorry to hear about the lady. Part of life on the road I guess. Just follow your instincts. They got you this far, and it seems (from what I've read) that's still a pretty damn good place to be.
  17. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    As in THE Travis Lutter? Fought Anderson Silva Travis Lutter???!!!
  18. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    The Kathe news is rotten. If she's anything like the latina in my past the breakup will be short lived and you can look forward to many more.

For now, it would probably make you feel better to purge yourself of any crazy sex stories and filthy pictures here amongst friendsÂ…waitingÂ…..waiting
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Tell the girls Lalo says "hi".
    And when they grew up, let's hope they don't jump on the back of a bike and take off RTW with a guy like me
  20. davidbrundage

davidbrundage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm tagging along and ride a CRF450X, so it's definitely not just BMW guys. :deal:freaky
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.