New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same experience with the Daytona 675R. Bike had 112 up stock, now it's just over 120 with LeoVince slip-on, Pipercross air filter, PCV and copious dyno time. Also a corresponding jump in torque. The bike is a little rocket on the track but plan to convert it into a Street Triple for the road next year. Should be awesome!
  2. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like I wrote above: only the combination of exhaust modd, airfilter, PCV / powercommander will get you extra Bhp - as written by Grizzly. Only replacing the muffler, won't. Most likely the power will drop because the engines ECU isn't set on the new exhaust muffler...
  3. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Insurance warning for the UK: allegedly some major insurers won't cover for pillion use, as they class the bike as a sports bike.

Silly decision, and negates the use of the bike as a 2up 'adventure tourer'.
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Insurance companies really need to hire a few knowledgeable riders for classifying bikes. When Jodie owned her Ninja 650 (the parallel twin) our regular insurance company wouldn't insure it, we had to insure through our high risk carrier. I asked about a Ninja 500 and Ninja 250, nope won't insure them, they say "Ninja", they're a sport bike. Granted the Ninja 250 and 500 "look" like sport bikes they are definitely NOT high risk like a liter class Ninja or 600 supersport. Really stupid and uninformed decisions being made but should we expect anything better from an insurance co. :puke1
  5. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well the link provided shows there is a gain, not much but it's 4.3 kw ~ 5.9 hp and 3.7nm torque and 2.5 kgs lighter
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    And like I wrote above, that simply isn't true. But believe what you want.... :D
  7. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Like Honda would sell that bike in the USA.:rofl:rofl:rofl
  8. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not true TP, check out the Akropovic link in Droids post at top of page.
  9. ricochet

ricochet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First Crosstourer in the pearl of the orient.

[​IMG]
  10. Two Plugs

Oddometer:

Yeh. Akropovic link.

If I would sell Akropovics I would write the same. Put the bike with no mods except the roadlegal muffler on a dynojet, measure and reply again. If it proves to have exact the power output claimed by Akropovic, I will cover myself in dirt and kneel down for the ADV public to offer my public apologies... :D
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I guess you will also believe the World will end on 12/12/12 because some Aztec/Maya calendar says so?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    TwinRider: I believe facts. My bike is equipped with Rino mufflers. Rino stated that replacing the original (Sh*tty) Honda muffler by two of theirs (non- Roadlegal...), would give me apr 5 Bhp+ and some extra torque. Know many guys here with Sebring and Laser mufflers - both manufactures claim the same - but again... A Dynojet testrun showed the opposide. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    But please notice... I don't write that its an complete impossibility. You only need to mod a few more things than only replacing a muffler and you will succeed in getting extra Bhp/Torque. <o:p></o:p>
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I used to live down the road from a shop with a dyno so I dynoed my bikes (1998 Bandit 1200S, 1998 ZRX1100, 1999 VFR800, 2002 FZ1) before and after installing slip-ons/ full exhausts. The dyno runs showed good gains without making other changes. Yes, I got even better improvements when I changed the fueling and air filter but the initial gains were still pretty good. Those are facts...

It's critical to do before and after runs on the same dyno, same day. If you didn't do that, you won't have an accurate baseline to judge change.

Btw, had Akra slipons on my 2005 TDM900. Moved so I never dynoed it at that shop but they definitely woke the bike up. Switching back to stock for inspection and the bike felt strangled, especially at the top end. Akra didn't become an incredibly successful premium exhaust maker by publishing bogus dyno data...
  12. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Less restricted exhausts sometimes give you more top end power but you can also loose bottom end power. Sometimes not a good thing. Especially on a single. Stock power on the bigger bikes like the S10 is right where I want it. Bottom and mid range. Top end power on a big duallie is pretty useless.
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    All those bikes you mentioned that improved with a new exhaust are at least 10 years old or more. Maybe back then you'd see an improvement but today's stock exhausts are pretty damn good at flowing exhaust gas, they have to be. Only reason to change an exhaust IMHO is for sound or a small weight saving, but hey lets face it, most of us on here could produce a lot bigger weight savings going to the gym, me included.
  14. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lighter you are the heavier the bike feels :deal
  15. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Check. Today's fuel injections and ECU's does s*ck big time in comparising with 'Old Skool Carbs'.

PS I don't wanna loos weight... :lol3
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Not really. The weaker you are the heavier a bike feels. The fatter you are the worse you make the handling ... :lol3
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:
    My TDM was 7 years old, my Dakar is 6. Both benefited from slip-ons. Didn't dyno them but felt a clear difference in performance. Doesn't matter if new bikes can flow exhaust better, they are still restricted for noise and emissions reasons.

I also like having a louder than stock bike, makes lane-splitting safer... :D
  18. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:

Agree

My Varadero's insurance is less than my DL650 insurance, because the DL is a sport's bike. Huh?!?! :huh
  19. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    congrats!
  20. ricochet

ricochet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment. Here is it now with the farkles:clap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]