2013 Suzuki SFV650 - the Gladius returns & renamed

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by eakins, Sep 26, 2012.

1. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    :ear I'm thinking you're confusing the savage and TU in regards to FI on the savage (S-40) as just looked at the sight and it shows a mikuni 40 carb under its specs.:huh

I actually wish you were right and they'd give us that engine in a TU650 (or better yet a DR650 FI engine in the TU styled bike)

As for the Gladius minus the stupid name = too swoopy and looks like a dildo, and that tank size has to be increased to at least 5 gallons for real riders.

My vote is for the old style SV as well.:freaky
  2. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rivercreep:

I believe Suzuki has changed the spec sheet. When I first saw the reference to FI for the S40 I checked the website and the specs did show "suzuki fuel injection" but now, as you have noted, that has been changed.

Might explain why FI was not mentioned in the "features" portion of the description.

Ned
  3. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    ..and the lack of it really SUCKS in a way.
    Air or Air/Oil cooling combined with NikaSil plating, sure seems like it would be the best of two worlds.:cry
  4. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    NC700S:
    [​IMG]

ER6n:
    [​IMG]

In that order, IMHO.
  5. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Neither of those are sold in the US, Cortez. We get the NC700X (ABS only available on DCT) but not the NC700S. And we get the Ninja 650 (and finally ABS this year!) but not the ER-6N.
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I thought I heard that you get 6N from this year, the last version, and
    I've seen the 700S on the USA site, but yeah, it was blacked out I guess..

Anyways, 700X then.
  7. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed that the first-gen SVs were better bikes. The amazing/sad thing to me is that Suzuki seemed to let that bike and class wither and die, even before the economic decline. The lightweight twin racing class was jam-packed, ultra-competitive, and cheap, plus riders were buying the bikes for the street. Then the second gen bikes had reliability issues, were taller, heavier, and (IMO) uglier. The, development just stopped. This (the SFV) bike appears unchanged from its introduction. Meh.
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I hear Honda's next 700cc bike will debut as a USA model. No idea what it is, but it isn't the S or X.
  9. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    When the housing bubble inflated, people were buying the blue chip bikes. They were too good for the bread and butter SV.
    That was my experience anyway, selling bikes back then. I couldn't say how many were using a line of equity to buy a race replica. It was a big percentage.

The SV lacked the cool factor to make people instant badasses, though it remains an extremely useful and reliable machine.
    The entire naked segment just kind of withered.
    The Z750S was a wonderful bike. I had to beg a guy to buy the 1 model we were allotted by Kawi. Practically gave it away.
    The FZ6, SV1k, FZ1, 599, 919, all those bikes were like showroom potatoes.

Obviously people still bought them, but I sold maybe 4 RR bikes to every 1 naked/standard. Just my 2 cents.
  10. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Mutton chop sideburns.

I had 'em for awhile when I was younger. Judging from the front end of that motorcycle, I looked pretty damn silly.
  11. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    400lbs and 50 HP, there is a reason they call it a Stone!? :rofl
  12. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, as much as I like the Guzzi V7, I can't get around the asthmatic power and the ~$10K price tag. And no dealers...
  13. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    And that is just sad, very few people need any of that plastic.

Oh well, For what it would cost me to tastefully denude the new ninja 650 ABS I could probably end up with something european. The silly thing is I don't even want the extra power that a street triple or monster 796 would get me, a naked SV or EX would suit me just fine (with ABS, dammit!), and I can add givi cases and a screen or not, as needed. I can't say I'm a fan of the short tail on the triple or the 796, though.

I suppose an f800r may be the easiest choice, or possibly an fz8? I can't be the only one that wants a bike like this in the states and would prefer to pay Japanese prices.
  14. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  15. Toto

Toto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I now have a CBF1000...but prior to that I had an 08 Wee.
    That v650 was a sweet,sweet engine for sure...as was the rest of the bike...once I delt with the buffeting!:eek1
  16. ZZ-R Rider

ZZ-R Rider Average Guy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 'Zuki kinda jumped the gun with posting EFI specs for the LS650 a few weeks back, only to revert to standard carbs once somebody at Suzuki noticed the faux pas ... the erroneous EFI news actually generated a bit of "buzz" on the internet for awhile! LOL!!

The concept of a larger displacement cousin to the TU250X utilizing the LS650 power plant is not that farfetched ... look at what RYCA Motors in L.A. is doing with the Savage/S40 ... they've transformed the "Sportster-esque" Cruiser into a Retro-styled work of art and arguably a much better "motorcyclists" motorcycle. Seeing as the TU250X has been well recieved, maybe Suzuki should be taking some notice of what RYCA is doing ... I'd bet that a TU650X would go over very well!

I started my Riding career 10 years ago with Cruisers (Rebel, two LS650's and a VS800 in the years since) but have come to appreciate the better comfort and handling of Bikes that are more Standard ergonomically ... would be hard pressed to go back to a Cruiser now ... recently rode an early 80's Suzuki parallel twin 400 and an '88 Honda NT650 Hawk (droooooooool!) and wish that the Big 4 Japanese manufacturer's would bring back the mid-displacement Standard!
  17. woolsocks

woolsocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree! I've had the exact thought process you've had and I really like the F800R.
  18. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1
  19. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:

LOL WUT!?

The 2nd gen 650 was better in every way over the 1st gen, save for looks, which are subjective. It weights the same as the firs gen bikest but they have a much stronger frame, which works perfectly fine with conventional forks, the only problem is that it chatters with USD forks, which it was never meant to have and only happens in racing. The engine is basically the same, with a few updates, including the oil cooler and a drain for the front cylinder plug, so the bike won't quit when riding in the rain. The EFI is pretty well sorted too...

In fact, the 2nd gen bikes helped increase the 1st gen popularity because the prices of the older bikes dropped. Suddenly it was much cheaper to buy a 1st gen, the extra money spent on a 2nd gen wouldn't get you more performance, but the money saved could be spent on track time and more mods for the 1st gen.
  20. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, opinions are like you-know-what's... So mine's no better than yours, and no worse. BUT, the biggest practical difference to which I was referring was crankshaft durability, which was a good bit better in the 1G engine. The FI was considered an advantage by many, but it was relatively primitive FI. But, that might be considered "better" if you didn't want to futz with it, and/or you rode it in cold weather a lot. Aesthetics aside, I'd buy a 1G every time.