SpotWalla - NEW ADV Location Page

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Tradey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    redpillar, that is the very thread that got me thinking about this again.

Tradey, I agree that relying on help online is not ideal. Having said that I know from my own personal situation that actually the very best people to help me out are my fellow inmates. I have no personal experioence of being stranded in a 2nd or 3rd world country, but honestly, I'm not so sure that online help mught pretty well be your ONLY source of help albeit with the help of word-of-mouth. I'd like to try the following experiment. I have been in touch with spotwalla and they have made some updates to thier code which allow me to display the following (I'm using the FarRiders location page to illustrate how this could be more useful). I personally think it will only become really useful if we can get a lot more ADVrider inmates to sign up with spotwalla and join the location page you setup;

<IFRAME height=600 src="http://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=10&lat=-25&lon=133&zoom=4" frameBorder=0 width=800></IFRAME>

In the above image there are actually 2 members of FarRiders who are currently OUTSIDE of Australia. The change spotwalla made allows me to centre the map on Austraila and zoom to a specifc level of granularity. If we could place the relative image in a conspicious position in the regional forums I think we could achieve the kind of response that we saw in the Pacific Northwet forum when inmates are in trouble.

I'd like to try this out in my own region (Pacific Northwest) where the topic is 'hit right now because of the thread redpillar mentioned. If it's a complete flop, I'll know I tried, if it's a roaring success it will quickly spread to the other regional forums. We can all use the same location page you setup with spotwalla, the new spotwalla feature will make it useful globally (also inmates travelling into the various ADV regions will show up in the regional zooms of he global map).

Honestly, I think what you have setup is great and I think there is the possibility of making even better use of it. I also agree the most useful feature of the SPOT is the SOS button, but I'm far more likely to need help hauling a bike out of a ditch (or off of me...had that happen once and thought I was going to be in for a very cold night).

S1
    <A href='http://twitsig.com/s1marks.jpg"></a' target=_blank>
    [​IMG]
  2. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of idiot are you? Oh, wait, uh....:lol3:lol3:lol3
  3. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:

Get your Ass signed up on spotwalla and join Tradey's ADV rider location page you big triuble maker! :D

You are my poster child!

S1
    see you at Wetfest.:wink:
  4. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, I'm on spotwalla already but haven't sat and really played with it much.
  5. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    In. Still sorting out the details, but this is cool!

Steve
  6. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    in!
  7. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in too, how long should it take after you have sent in a message till it shows up on the SW map.
  8. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Added myself as TRK and clicked on ''Update'' Cant see it on the map. I bet we need a while to see it on updated map?
  9. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Suggest you check your Spot page to see if your messages are being received there, then check your personal Spotwalla page to see if the same messages are being received there.

If the above are fine then Remove yourself from the ADV location page and then Add yourself again.
  10. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Heading away these holidays ?

If you're taking your Spot with you then please sign up to the free ADV Spot location page, it's a great way for your friends, family and buddy's (stuck at home) to see where you are and where you've ridden - plus handy to find other riders in your vicinity.

See the first post in this thread for details.
  11. rick3foxes

rick3foxes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I missing something?
    I have created an account and registered the Serial# of my SPOT, linked the Spot Shared Page (Which shows my location right now).

But I don't see anything in the "Actions" column where I'm supposed to click on "Add Me".

Attached Files:

12. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    1. Try a different browser, clear the cache, logoff/login.

2. Login to your Spotwalla account. Go to DEVICES - BROWSE. Can you see any Messages imported from your Spot account ? If not then put the Spot outside and send a message Spotwalla polls your Spot account every 5 minutes and imports the messages.

3. Create a test trip and see if your messages are imported and displayed.
  13. capcrazy

capcrazy what, me worry?

Oddometer:
    in. I had to use IE to add myself, as the option didn't appear in firefox.
  14. rick3foxes

rick3foxes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That did the trick.

Strange - I have two Win7 systems running IE9.
    One shows the "Add me" buttons, and one doesn't... :huh
  15. 5cats

5cats just jd.

Oddometer:
    I'm "19D" on the ADV spotwalla.
  16. turkeyman101

turkeyman101 Navigationally Impaired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just working out the kinks, but I'll be TKM on the ADV spotwalla map...:D:ricky
  17. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in with HLN.
  18. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those who have signed up to Spotwalla with your Google Latitude account, be aware that Latitude will be ceasing functionality in about two weeks. According to the email I got, Google will be shutting down Latitude on August 8.

Bubbler GPS is available on Android which is supported by Spotwalla.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no alternative for iOS users. Here's a guy from Bubbler GPS. PM him and tell him you want an iPhone app: http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=187856

Jamie
  19. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    OK, I just joined as CJ3.
    And I popped up on the map right where I should.

How/are other members using the page?
    Next time I am off on a ride I can look (each night) to see what other inmates are nearby.

Oh, a question maybe answered but not sure.
    When I roll over my pin on the map it shows my spotwalla id, not my ADV id. (I had already joined spotwalla earlier w/a different id).
    Does anyone know if there is anything I can to about that? i.e. have my ADV id show up instead? Else who would find me?
    Update: I found that I could change my spotwalla ID in the Profile section - so now it is my ADV id.
    I also found that I could change the device name (in Devices section) - so I changed it as well.
    So my adv id shows up on rollover *and* if you click on the pin to open/expand it.

thanks,
    -ceej

PS
    anyone know if there is a way to see a list of the 3-character IDs in use on the adv location page?
  20. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    Joined. Tag is JBR. Cool deal this thing is :).

Sent from my iPhone