Need a Traffic Attorney in Lone Tree/Denver Area

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by rpmwfo, Jun 5, 2012.

1. rpmwfo

rpmwfo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a recommendation on a traffic attorney to handle a speeding ticket for me in Lone Tree,CO? Just got a speeding ticket for 82 in a 65, headed north on I-25 to DIA(headed out of town for work). I was stopped right where the speed drops down to 65mph.

Per the ticket I have 20 days to pay and it drops it to a 2 point violation(but maintains the charge). I am only concerned with keeping the ticket from increasing my insurance rates(I've got 6 insured vehicles with State Farm). Last traffic violation was 7 years ago or so.

I would appear in court and talk to the DA, but I am going to be out of town for work for the next several months.

So, anyone have a line on a traffic attorney that could take care of this? I called a few different lawyers, but they handle DUI cases and not basic moving violations.
  2. enigmatic_redhabu

enigmatic_redhabu I really wanna be....

Oddometer:
    I am with State Farm and I got a few tickets and my insurance didn't go up. The speeding tickets do not against your insurance rates. If I were you, just paid the ticket and save your time.

3. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    One ticket in seven years? Probably will be fine.
  4. ironbrewer

ironbrewer Hopefully Riding

Oddometer:
    Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington
    My state farm rep told me that you could get one ticket a year with no ill effects. You might want to call up your agent and ask them.
  5. Toby-CO

Toby-CO Noob is accurate

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you admit that he got you in the 65mph zone - just inside or 2 miles inside that judge won't care. I would recommend calling the court and rescheduling for when you can be in town and then turn up and take the plea from the DA.

I was in court last year. There were about 10 of us, all nailed around the same speed just outside DIA in a work zone. Some turned up with lawyers who spoke eloquently about the spotless driving record of their upstanding client, some sporting suits and myself in shorts and a polo (I was playing golf later that day). We all got the same plea deal and fine.

If going to court seems like too much hassle. You can pay an attorney to go to court on your behalf and plea it for you. I think they charge $150-200 which if your self employed or have to take vacation to attend isn't a bad deal. Or you can just pay the fine by mail, you get a better deal speaking to the DA but I doubt this will effect your insurance anyway.
  6. rpmwfo

rpmwfo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have to take vacation and fly home to get a chance to talk to the DA. It would definitely be worth $200+ for me to have an attorney handle it. Just have to find one to handle it. There has to be an Inmate that knows an attorney(or is one) in Denver that handles traffic tickets....
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Saw this today and thought of this thread :lol3

In her back window is a handmade sign that says:

"I GOT A SPEEDING TICKET AND I'M NOT SPEEDING ANYMORE!"

...and she was going EXACTLY the speedlimit :rofl

[​IMG]

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pay the fine and take the two points is my experience. It is your best deal. An attorney will cost you money; then you pay the fine, then you get the points anyway. I've been getting nailed at a rate of one every 18 months for the last dozen years, and my insurance has been going down over that period.

I recommend you always call and talk to the court clerk or a DA. Most would rather talk to you than an attorney any day. They very seldom go below two points, and virtually never reduce the fine. If it were a four point, you can normally get it reduced to two with a phone call, but they want their revenue, and guard it like they deserve it. This policy is the same in some surrounding states.

In other words; Screw the attorneys, do your own talking, and spend their unspent fees on a Valentine 1. Mine is 11 years old and has saved a bundle; mostly from local LEOs hiding behind something.

YMMV
  9. Tailwheel

Tailwheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you talk to the DA point out your clean record. Ask for a 'deferred judgment'. With a 'deferred judgment' this violation would not go on your record and would go away if you don't have any other major violations during the deferral period.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  10. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    From years past but probably same. State Farm drops your FIRST ticket, not sure they do that yearly though. I had two when they found out, dropped the first but then wanted me to go into the HIGH risk category. At that point I changed insurance companies and saved a bundle over what State Farm then wanted. at least back then my agent said they don't run your record as its not cost effective to do that all the time, only reason why they found out was because I made a policy change (new car and new motorcycle).

Now Progressive, they check yearly.
  11. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep, too many people worry about insurance and tickets. Look at it this way, your rate will still be cheaper then what in some states you be charged by insurance for a clean record. Like Michigan with its no Fault...LOL I just tell myself that, and I feel all happy.

As for tickets/court all State different and all areas in a state are different. Some dismiss, some reduce, some do nothing at all. I was shocked once to hear a Judge tell everyone in court (this was after 9/11 and about 90% of the cops did not show as they were reservist), Judge says they don't have to show to my court, and if you like we just change the date and have you come back...then she said int he other court she also sat in a different county their policy was the cop had to show, but that court NOPE. So the old "if the cop don't show the ticket is tossed" is BS in some courts.

Anyways good luck, I would call and talk tot he DA...my friends wife did that for Denver and the DA reduced it over the phone her ticket. In a busy court your saving them time and money (just don't mention your out of state right now...LOL) I did that once on a phone call, they then actually laughed at me and told me to pay or drive back...LOL I ended up paying.
  12. Keepiru

Keepiru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to take the lower offer, I used www.ticketstoppers.com last time I couldn't make it to the court date. They likely won't get anything you couldn't get if you went to court yourself, but they are pretty cheap.

Brandon