The "I Love My Super Duke!" Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bald Kirk, Mar 22, 2009.

1. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    For adjustable levers made for your bike, look here... http://cyclecontrol.com/
  2. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Titanium just looks that way!
    Pretty, isn't it?!:clap
  3. Heatwave

Heatwave Obsessive-Compulsive

Oddometer:
    Here is another plug for Ian at Cycle Controls. Quick shipping, quality items and easy installation.
  4. johnny555

johnny555 n00b

Oddometer:
    The SuperDuke is my favorite out of the bikes I've owned(Kawasaki GPz750, Ducati 748S, KTM LC4SM, Ducati 1098). The handling is great as is the engine. Love the Akrapovics. I can ride all day no problem. I found I prefer naked bikes and the SuperDuke gives me sportbike handling with decent ergos. I do miss the supermoto and might pick up another to add to the garage.

-johnny
  5. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Every time I look at these threads I start thinking about trading my 950SM for one...
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear from people who tried both (and perhaps the 990SM), and
    hear a word or two re differences.

I'm not into the whole SM thing, and usually love all naked bikes, BUT, I
    don't see a single reason (ok, one, power) to get the SD over SM.

Seems to me SM is more usable everyday ride, probably more comfortable
    and easier to ride.

SMT is the route I'd go, but that's another thread..

I guess if you want hardcore and a more focused bike, the SD is
    probably a great choice. I'd have one over any other 1000cc naked
    out there.. but I don't see it as a solution for my "problem", and can't
    imagine having it as my only bike.. but I can see myself with the SM only..
  7. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a 950SM for almost 3 years; chose it over the SD (and Tuono) because I felt (quite rightly as it turned out) that it would be a good bike for fun dirt roads and fun badly cratered roads- both of which we have an abundunce of in the NE. No regrets; and I liked the SD quite a bit.

I then picked up an SE, and figured I could sell/trade+$ the SM and replace it with a SD to take care of the 17" tire stuff and get a 19/17 and brake setup for the SE to make it close to what the SM is. I almost made the swap with someone on Advrider, but he decided to swap + cash for a regular Duke. Didn't break my heart; but I'd still consider doing it for the right deal because I really think the SD is a great pavement/trackday bike

But if I only had 1 bike right now, it would be the 950SM. But could definately live with a SD (or 950A, or SE, or 990 of any type :lol3 )
  8. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I guess in my case, the difference is I come from a road racing, sportbike background. I miss the slightly tipped forward, feet slightly back riding stance of a sport-oriented bike, and the weight on the front end.

I love my SM, make no mistake, and it's probably not going anywhere...but if someone wanted to trade me for an SD with similar miles and farkles, I may very well do it.
  9. Bald Kirk

Bald Kirk Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer:
    I heard Chuck Norris rides a Super Duke.

Chuck Norris knows what rhymes with orange.
  10. Damage

Damage IMANOOBY in Tanks

Oddometer:
    :clap I'm Jealous of you guys with the Dukes! I wish i could get one. My dealer in Sioux City IA just had an open house and the have a demo to ride. It sucked the weather was only in the thirtys and I had to work.:cry
    I will be test riding this awesome looking machine soon I hope. Till then i will have to make do with the busa for now.
    Keep posting pics PLEASE! I now have a new screen saver!:freaky
  11. Klink

Klink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Fantastic bike for roads downunder...
  12. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well so do I-- starting in 1969. Get back to me when you reach 60 :lol3
  13. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    Well.............. looks like I am trading in my 450exc for a new 07 Superduke.
    known the local dealer a long time and he offered me a smokin deal on his last 07, grey color. I could get an 08 but at more $.
    I don't ride the 450 much, have a DR650 and a Wee Strom for dualsport and big trips and wanted a fun bike for around town errands and Arkansas rides.

What a great motor,love that sound! the suspension and brakes seem top notch, better than the Speed Triple I also tested.

You guys have any problems with yours at all ?
    how bad are the oil changes, mechanic tells me it doesn't require tanks off like the Adventure so its not too bad.

Anybody run the FMF pipes like these ? http://www.fmfracing.com/default_detail.aspx?m=sport&app_make=KTM&app_model=990%20S-DUKE&app_year=2007

I will wait a while on these, he tells me his neighbor has these on his bike and they sound great and look cool.

Probably pick it up next week.
  14. Bald Kirk

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike!

The only issue I had with mine was the front exhaust header nuts vibrated off at approx. 2000 miles. I would say make sure all the fasteners are checked and torqued early on.

There were a few recals on some of the 07's. The instrument cluster was replaced on mine, handlebar mounting bracket got an update and the torque on the bolts retaining the clutch was double checked.

The oil takes a little longer to change than some of the bikes I've had but it's not too bad.

Be carefull with the aftermarket exhaust you choose. Some of them are real junk.

Ignore the people who complain of the bike being "snatchy" at low rpm's. They are probably used to riding other twins that have heavy flywheels and don't mind lugging along at 2500 rpm's. The bike is not made for cruising. This things likes 4000 rpms and up so don't be afraid to rev it up there.

Make sure you go here:

http://www.superduke.net/forum/

Bald Kirk
  15. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the dealer is a very good one with a top flight Ducati, KTM mechanic so I know they will take care of any recalls.

I will wait a while on the exhaust, it sounds pretty good stock. he tells me akra's always take a long time to get in stock.

I did sign up over at superduke.net just wait on confirmation from the mods.

the motor seemed very tractable, lots of power everywhere. my old 1000 Strom hated anything below 4k rpm.
    I went pretty easy on it during the test ride, no redline since it was only 9 miles on it.
  16. Powerslave

Powerslave n00by tires that would be

Oddometer:
    I'd like one.

Does anyone have enough miles on theirs to comment on whether these are more or less efficient that the 990 Adv at mixing coolant and oil..........:D
  17. Bald Kirk

Oddometer:
    I'm coming up on 15,000 coolant in the oil free miles.
  18. Powerslave

Powerslave n00by tires that would be

Oddometer:
    BK,

Good to hear it. I was looking forward to Mitch Boehm's (sp - I think that was him) long term ride report summary but when he left Motorcyclist it never appeared.....do you know if the fix is to install the same part that went bad or has KTM developed the gasket differently that helps out those in need? Have you had any other issues - o r just oil, many tires etc.?

On another topic - does anyone have any side luggage hard or soft on thiers. I know it sort of kills the point of the naked bike - but would make it ultimately more useful. I'm still trying to figure out what my "second" bike will be - I'm not counting the ones that aren't running right now........

I can't help but think that some new black Gobis would look oddly cool on this bike.....
  19. Bald Kirk

Oddometer:
    Sunset,

I don't know about the gasket. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the water pump will need to be rebuilt periodically as a preventive measure and it relatively simple and affordable to do. I could be mistaken.

The only other problem I have encountered is that I have to stop being so heavy handed with the throttle. I got a ticket for doing a wheelie and a warning for excessive speed. So far I have managed to only earn 1 point on my license in the past couple of years.

Bald Kirk
  20. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    love, love love my SDR

seat is fine for me but the springs are too stiff (165 lb). got lighter springs and it's PERFECT now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]