Rookie wanna-be weldor starting to make some cool things!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kirkster70, Oct 3, 2010.

1. kirkster70

kirkster70 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again, I dig into the scrap pile and pull out some 1" x 1/8" flat bar that was once X-braces for the shelving that I have turned into so many other things...

[​IMG]

I grind off the powdercoat, cut 6 pieces to size, and then trim out the expanded metal for more rigidity and a finished look. I weld the expanded metal to the flatbar on the underside for a clean look. Once I decide on how to mount the stamped metal pieces and get them welded in place it will be time for paint.

[​IMG]

Almost there...
  2. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    I start laying out the designs...

[​IMG]

Then I drill 5/16" holes to plug weld from the rear...

[​IMG]

Success! These pieces are very thin. I have a gauge that came with the welder, and there's a little bit of slop in the 24 gauge slot. 26 gauge maybe? I SLOWLY build up a tack from the inside. I am able to bridge the gap with one booger weld at a time. I blew through a couple pieces and had to do reconstructive surgery, but all went pretty well for not knowing what the heck I'm doing. :lol3

[​IMG]

Rear view of the star's plug welds. I will grind these flush, prep for paint, and clean up any slag inside all at the same time.

[​IMG]

After all welding is complete, I give everything a good inspection making sure all galvanizing compound is ground off, clean everything, and then shoot 3 coats of high-heat BBQ/stove paint that is rated for 1200 degrees F.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done deal. Maybe I'll get lucky and she will absolutely hate it and then I can keep it for myself. Ha Ha!

I already have the next project lined up...

Turning the Swiss Cheese tractor into the Pope Mobile.

[​IMG]
  3. worldrider555

worldrider555 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    firepit looks great!
  4. trasko

trasko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy crap your ambition is inspiring. I would have turned those ornamental pieces into a puddle had I tried that...
  5. chapman2012

chapman2012 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    looks great! i think she will love it! :D
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! :thumb

Jim :brow
  7. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:

Agreed! Great work
  8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    +100

:clap
  9. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    you don't think you'll need some stretchers between those legs?
  10. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm diggin' the Pope-mobile........weight and ventilation are my first two questions........bullet-proof glass can get heavy! :evil
  11. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

The metal looks pretty gouged until the paint goes on! Ha Ha! Spraypaint covers a multitude of sin. :D

I'm hoping to start the frame on the Swiss Cheese Jubilee Edition 1 of 1 Pope Mobile today. I still have a good bit of angle left from the shelving unit I will use instead of tubing. It will be better for the frame around the doors, etc.

Rookie nephew of Rookie wanna-be is stopping by today to do some welding of his own, so I'll get some shots of his project as well.

Once the sun comes up and the kiddos are on the bus, I need to make some more space in the garage...
  12. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the lead shielded doors!!!

In all seriousness, Curtis Cab did make a cab for this model many moons ago. They are pretty hard to find (and expensive if you do find one) so I am building this very similar to what theirs are like. The biggest expense is going to be the plexi. I'm going to try to build it light, but heavy enough to last. For ventilation, there is a fan/radiator and a mesh panel at about shin level pulling air away from me, so there shouldn't be any CO fumes, unless they slip out of a cheese hole. :roflPlus, I want to put a small slider on each door so someone can hand me coffee and cookies as payment for doing their driveway. I accept no cash! :lol3
  13. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    I should have posted the goofs! I blew right through the cardinal's face and had to build it up and grind from the outside. Then I had to do one small tack the size of a BB for the eye and it actually worked!! I blew a hole through the buck's groin area and he looked pretty well endowed while I was trying to fix that goof. I was cracking up on that one. At least I know what to expect now on super thin stuff.
  14. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I can blame it on Kirkster70!!

Since I have quite a collection of 2"x2"x1/8" angle Iron that my son salvaged for me from a completed construction project, I use it from time to time but finally a project came along that really was suited for it. If anyone is interested in the plans, I could post a link.

[​IMG]

Essentially it's a 17" vise used for forming sheet metal panels. The three eye bolts are actually the clamp bolts for the top piece of angle iron. I welded some nuts on the framework and the eye bolts screw through them. It was a fun little project and when it gets warmer, I use some rattlecan paint on it. I also built a 24" sheet metal brake some years ago from some heavier angle & channel iron that I'll post pictures of sometime.
  15. kirkster70

Oddometer:

Nice, Tim!!! I like it! We should form a scrap welder's Union! :clap
  16. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    I worked all day knocking out honey-do items, and finally get to where I can start on the Pope Mobile...

[​IMG]

I start by studying the tractor for a good deal of time. I pick out my mounting points and can't really decide on where to start. I throw caution to the wind and just start winging it and hope for the best.

I need enough hand room to work the PTO lever and snowblower chute rod, so I can't stay tight to the floorboards like I thought I would be able to. I use a straight edge on the tires and measure in 2" from there.

I cut a piece of 1 1/2" x 3/16" flatbar for a tab, then tack a piece of 1" x 1/8" square tube to that. I attach to a factory ROPS hole. I use an old piece of carpet, rubber side up, to protect from weld spatter.

[​IMG]

I take another piece of flat bar, bend a 90 on it, and bolt it to the floorboard. Using the straight edge again, I measure and then cut and tack another piece of square tube in place.

[​IMG]

Using a factory mounting point for the mower deck lift arms, I measure and slide a piece of rigid conduit through. I'm going to make a left and right frame that bolts together, so I will use a pin to connect to the conduit. I cut a larger piece of rigid that will slide over this piece. The larger pieces will be welded to left and right sides to be pinned.

[​IMG]

Using angle by 1/8" thick, I start tacking a piece at a time. I have to keep unbolting it to get a full grind on both sides and to make the cuts. It's coming together pretty well. I was going to make a tube frame, but just decided to go with what I have on hand. So far so good. I haven't spent a penny on metal yet. Big surprise, huh? :lol3 More to follow tomorrow with any luck. Until then...
  17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
  18. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here are the pieces of rigid conduit I fabbed up...

[​IMG]

... to go here.

[​IMG]

I keep walking around in circles talking to myself, and keep glueing metal together wherever it makes sense to me.

[​IMG]

1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar welded to the rigid, 1" x 1/8" square tube welded to the flat bar, 1/8" thick angle welded to the square tube. Not super heavy-duty, but should work to keep me dry while snowblowing.

[​IMG]

I start on the rear uprights. I use a mixture of measuring and eyeballing. I attempt to make all the roof supports the same angle as the ROPS bar. I also decide to make the cab free standing. Making brackets to attach to the ROPS would have made it more of a challenge to install the sheet metal on the rear.

[​IMG]

With every project I tackle, I never really know if I can pull off what I'm trying to do. But then sometimes I will get to a point where what I'm seeing gets me excited because I know it will work. This photo is that moment. The excitement of seeing it actually happen propels me to the finish line.

[​IMG]

I run out of the wide angle x 1/8", and start using the 1" x 1" angle to connect the top. It should be just fine as it is also 1/8" thick. I got a lot figured out today, but still have a good ways to go. This is a good stopping point for now. Time for a brewski.
  19. chapman2012

chapman2012 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ill post some pictures of my one once i actually get going on it. all the dang grinding sucks! :cry
  20. mike-s

mike-s 2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer:
    B.t.w. I found a good pictorial on MIG welding and how to find the appropriate settings, (link here)
    [edit]Oh and here is my post in the welding questions thread[/edit]