Sidecar Delay Factor: Please tell us YOUR experience(s)

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. slovenian6474

slovenian6474 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My best story so far was when I was on my way to work on the Ural. I was stopped at a light waiting for traffic to clear up before turning right. The last car happened to be the county sheriff. I pulled out, did the right turn and was speeding up. I saw the sheriff pull into a left turn only lane and I passed him. After that he pulled in right behind me and was following me for awhile. Now I didn't think I did anything illegal and was almost to work. I'd rather not have to deal with the drama of getting pulled over at work so before he would put on the lights, I turned into a gas station. He followed and pulled up next to me and asked what the hell I was riding! He proceed to ask a bunch of questions about the bike. It's probably the closest thing to actually getting pulled over in a Ural.
  3. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    that is a great story
    thanks for adding it here
  4. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago, my wife and I were heading across Montana with a sidecar that did not have a top on it, We rode through 7 thunderstorms and were quite drenced. At a rest stop, a man came up to us with his daughter who must have been about 3 years old. She was in tears and had been so for a while, she knew that my wife was going to drown. My wife told her that it was just like her bath tub and that she had pulled the drain plus so she was going to be just fine.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  5. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I had a couple come up to me today at the local Cycle Gear store. Mid 40's guy with mid 20's trophy wife, riding a Goldwing. She's drooling over the Ural, he's asking questions like he knows what he's talking about, and generally being a dick. I'll call him, Dick.

Dick: What is THAT thing?

Pretty wife: I don't know but I WANT one!

Me: It's a Ural, a Russian motorcycle.

Dick: I bet that thing weighs a ton! Can't go fast can you?

Me: Well, it weighs less than a Goldwing, but going fast isn't what this thing is about. A Ural makes you enjoy the ride.

Pretty wife: (Still drooling) I LOVE THIS BIKE! This is what I want!

Dick: Looks flimsy.

Me: Nope, made of steel. Not a lot of plastic on it at all.

Dick: Bet you can't go far on that seat.

Me: (Getting aggravated). Well, my wife drove it over 1000 miles home when she picked it up this Summer. Hell, two of my bikes don't even have rear suspension, so I find it quite comfortable. I guess it all comes down to what you're tough enough to handle.

Pretty wife: (Grins, she got the joke) Can I sit in the sidecar?

Dick: (Blank stare, he thinks I just made fun of him, but isn't sure.)

Me: (Going for the kill) Well, you've got a helmet. I'll take you for a spin if you want.

Pretty wife: That would be AWESOME! My name is Abby. (Shakes my hand)

Dick: I don't think we have time....

Abby (formerly known as Pretty Wife): Oh hush, we'll be back in a minute. Go ahead and start trying on jackets.

Me: Be back in a few! (VROOOOOOMMMM!!!!!) :rofl

She loved every bit of the short ride, and when we got back, she helped me pick out gloves for my wife. Funny thing, I never heard a peep out of him again, but the guys at the store were laughing their asses off.
  6. AeroEngineer

AeroEngineer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're single guy, I can imagine having a sidecar would be like shooting fish in a barrel...

Even easier if you bring a dog.

Of course I waited until after I was married to buy mine.
  7. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    great story above... about "Dick."
    happy that this thread has been resurrected
  8. ChuckS

ChuckS Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 really moving UDF experiences. Both were with my first Ural, a green Patrol.

First-
    I was in a parking lot gearing up when an old timer came up to me with tears in his eyes. The last time he saw a Ural was 1956. He was a Hungarian partisan. A Ural carried him and 11 others away from the Soviet army, saving their lives.

Second-
    A friend of mine asked me to give his father a ride. His father had a stroke some years before and lost the ability to communicate. His mind was fine, but he could only communicate with very simple gestures. He was a Luftwaffe mechanic in WWII and used a BMW sidecar. After the war, he toured Europe by bike before emigrating to Canada and finally the USA.

[​IMG]

It was very cool to give him a ride and to watch his eyes light up. It was also cool giving his wife (also very German) a ride. She didn't want to go, she wanted to turn around and go home. At least that what she said when she didn't have a big, silly smile on her face.
  9. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    If only I had thought of a sidecar as a single guy. Misses Donkeys got quite the kick out of that story though, and she loves the new gloves. :D
  10. Brain

Brain mr. self destruct

Oddometer:
    Awesome story.

On a trip through Utah we had a gentleman from Hungry stop to tell us how as kids they fixed up a rig left behind by the Germans.
  11. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    i... GREATLY appreciate you relating these stories to us
    very emotional stuff... exactly why we are all passionate about our rigs
    thank you
  12. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dick isn't from APG is he? Oh wait, my guy doesn't actually ride. . .

I think my funniest story is when loading up at the supermarket a few weeks ago, an older gentleman (mid 80's?) came up to me with his wife and rapped his knuckles on the sidecar and then my tank.

Him: "Real metal, eh?"

Me: "Yup."

Him: "Yeah, none of this plastic tupperware shit these kids ride today."

Me: "And not only that, it's comfortable."

Him: "Yeah you don't want to go around looking like a monkey f$^%ing a football, you know"

Me: "Do either of you want to go for a ride?"

Him: "Nah, senior discount is going to end at (whatever the restaraunt was)"

Me: "Be well."

We parted ways after that and I haven't seen him since.
  13. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
    Well a couple of weeks ago i loaded the two deer we shot and hauled them over to the local DP. Yesterday they called and begged me to come get one of my deer, it was ready and they needed the room. So on the way back from the deer club reloading the feeders, i stopped in with the rig to pick up the deer.

45 minutes later......

After ever other hunter who came in to get their deer had to look at the bike and shake their head in disbelief when the DP crew told them that i had infact hauled two deer in on the side car.

To many questions to list them all, just fun UDF.

Cant get that on a DR 650:evil
  14. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Leave it to the Nav...:rofl
  15. matman1972

matman1972 Lost in the woods.

Oddometer:
    Bear has been hitting the bait I left 6 ft off the ground. Should be a good one. Think he'll fit on the rear rack? Had one hog on there so far, and he was a little one (110 lbs) I need to make a heavier rear rack for this thing. The stock one bends too easily.
  16. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
  17. matman1972

Oddometer:
    I saw that. Good idea, but I need to have a place for the real killer to sit. It may be time to get my trailer hitch installed. [​IMG]

Shoots her little 223 like a sniper. 60 yards through the brush to get this little "rabbit" and she centered the heart.
  18. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    "45 minutes later......

After ever other hunter who came in to get their deer had to look at the bike and shake their head in disbelief when the DP crew told them that i had infact hauled two deer in on the side car.

To many questions to list them all, just fun UDF.

Can't get that on a DR 650:evil"

How big were the deer?

I rode 2-up with my wife all over McCain Valley to watch an observed trials event.

Check out YouTube for the "Trail Tail".

There is a guy building a hack for his DR650 on the site somewhere, he's not spending thousands of dollars. I'm pretty sure that if I spent $500 hacking my 650, it would be more off-roady than your 650 Ural. You said yourself that YOU didn't think $13 grand was really worth it for a Patrol.

Elliot Spitzer spent thousands on hookers to deal with his self esteem issues, for some guys maybe $13 large is a bargain after all?
  19. matman1972

Oddometer:
    For someone who doesn't like urals, you sure do seem to have a need to hunt every post about them don't you?
  20. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    If you actually read my posts, you would realize that I think Urals are great fun. I just think that Ural should improve the areas that the Uralians think are weaknesses (brakes, 5 speed, transfer case, clutch) if they are going to charge that much.

You can buy a new DR650 and have Jay/DMC install an enduro chair for under $10 grand if you want function. When you buy a new Patrol you are more likely willing to pay for funktion. You can pay a lot of money for a Harley tattoo if you like that kind of thing as well.

I read almost all the posts (I can read really fast) and I noticed that YOU threw down a little DR650 reference.

Now if you jumped out of a tree butt-naked and choked the deer to death with your bare hands... well, that would be pretty sporty! :wink: