Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little chillier this weekend than my idea of fun so got a few bolt ons out of the way.

I like a little more real estate for my big feet and the pivot action gets my boots under the shifter easier so went with Pivot Pegz:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And to help me find the back roads as I ride I wired up a Garmin Montana 600 with the Touratech mount:

[​IMG]

Now I just need about 10 more degrees of warmth to get out and enjoy (and less damn salt spray on the roads).
  2. Dr E

Dr E Chasing after theory

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for the 250/400/450 shocks, you need to make sure that the nitrogen reservoir is either remote like mine or points downward away from your frame. You will see that many of the EBay shocks are later model shocks and they angle upwards...this will hit your frame and not work.

Best of luck on your search!
  3. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    very nice Mr Baron, say hi in the Oz owners thread too

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384629
  4. ravelv

ravelv from Baltic side of river

Oddometer:
    These are one of the best 260EURos I spent on my TA.:) Fuel consumption dropped quite much- when riding within 90-100km/h I had mostly 5.3l/100km. With these new CDI's I have now with same riding style 4.5l/100km. Quite a difference, because I did nothing else, just swapped CDIs.
    Else I noticed that vibration from engine to foot pegs around 90km/h/5th gear also disappeared. I had this regardless how pedantic I was when syncing carbs.

Drawback is that these CDI's have sharp corners and don't fit good on my stock holders.

5. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    My 89 has 77k miles on it, still runs nice. After reading about the rear shock I believe it should be replaced or rebuilt. Which way should I go, money is no object.
  6. PhEb

PhEb Rookie

Oddometer:
  7. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:

If money is no object go with a new aftermarket shock. I just ordered a rear Ohlins from a dealer in the vendors section. Wilbur's or hyperpro as well make nice TA shocks.
  8. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i got a wilbers type 641 w/ all kinds of adjustments,damping, rebound and remote height adjust, that i pretty much set and forget but really to nice to have for fine tuning .
  9. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    I'd like to be able to say that...at least once in my life

alas, it always seems to be - an "object" that is.

:tough
  10. happyclam

happyclam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. Your bike is coming together beautifully.
  11. happyclam

happyclam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eventually, or maybe sell the vstrom to free up some cash.:huh
  12. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea i figured it was worth it. Of all the 10 or so bikes I've had the TA is the keeper so a little extra refinement worth any price,almost
  13. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to order the Ricor Intiminators for the stock forks (1989).
    Is one quart of fluid going to be enough or does it take slightly more? Knowing my luck I figure it'll be better to check first......
  14. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    If my memory serves, 1 qt is just barely enough. It depends on where you set your oil level.

Since the front of my bike is heavier than a normal TA and I hate fork bottoming, I set mine up with a bit higher oil level than normal.

Don't remember the air gap measurement but I think 115 mm. Standard is, I believe, 125 mm. All measurements suspect due to corrupted hard drive in my head.
  15. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:

The shop manual states 18.6 ozs. per leg, ( 125mm - 4.9" oil level) so 1 quart is not enough.
  16. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    When I installed mine it took more than the 1 qt. provided. Amsoil Fork oil was hard to find locally. I had the progressive springs in though, not sure if that makes a difference. I would recommend just getting the second qt now. If you don't need it now, you'll have it for later when you change out the fluid.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Set mine the same.
  18. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. Two quarts it shall be!
  19. Iron_Floyd

Iron_Floyd BIG ENDURO FREAK

Oddometer:
    This is No. 1 Transalp mods thread on the Internet! I'm following this thread for about a year now, and I'm very pleased to post some of my mods and upgrades here.

So, here we go :ricky

In the year of 2012, it was 20 February ( I remembered it because it was my birthday), I had crash on the snow with speed of about 25 to 35 km/h. When I started that little journey of 45 km to my home that day, It was chilly but very nice weather for daily ride. But unbelievably, after 20 km of sunshine road, I was suddenly hit by snow blizzard. Anyway, a fell first time, the second time, and the third time was the hardest hit to road. I was absolutely fine, but I didn't believed how easily everything cracked. The fairing was cracking like it was made of glass. The outside temperature was about +2 degrees centigrade, and the aftermath is... the side cases were givi and completely destroyed, the right crash bar took a major damage and also damaged my side panel fairing, and because of side cases, motorcycle roll over on the front windshield destroying it completely, and my front faring was also heavily damaged. And when I picked up a bike, and put it on side stand, it fell again... I was like :huh ... put it upright again and realized that side stand snapped!

So, here is is the picture 20 minutes before crash that day :D

[​IMG]

And pictures about 2h hours after getting home...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what left from side case's

[​IMG]

In one hand, I was like.. omg my trusty old honda :cry, and in the other hand I was glad that happened near my home.. because otherwise the same crash as that could and my journey anytime.

Repairs and mods:

So, the side stand.... more rusty than trusty... and do you believe that whole your bike is sitting on this thin wall tube crap???

On the left is the tube with thicker wall that replaced old one, and on the right side of the picture is original hoooonda.. snapped tube..
    [​IMG]

And finished moded side stand with thicker tube, and bigger surface mud/sand proof surface :clap but still unpainted, only rust protected :D
    [​IMG]

It will be continued :1drink
  20. Iron_Floyd

Iron_Floyd BIG ENDURO FREAK

Oddometer:
    Fairings repair:

Some plastic parts ware missing, left somewhere on the road, so I had to rebuilt it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And job well done :evil
    [​IMG]

The same story done on the front:

Welded the plastic
    [​IMG]

Filled in, and sanded
    [​IMG]

There was also dent on my tank... it was real pain in the ass to pull that out.
    [​IMG]

And it was sucessfull torchure without painting and sanding. I just pulled the dent out.
    [​IMG]

Fixing a big hole that exhaust pipe melted from the front cylinder. The hole can be seen in right corner of upper picture
    [​IMG]

It looks good as new
    [​IMG]